iMac Late 2009 - Which Windows is recommended

Reaction score
Hi, I have an iMac Late 2009 27", 8 gb ram. I had to drop the computer on Apple services due a HDD change, they offered me to Install Yosemite or Capitan and asked me which Windows I'd like, if W7, W8 or W10, as you can see the iMac is quite old, which Windows should I go for? I've planned to use 120gb for Bootcamp.

And also, is Capitan recommended? I had Yosemite installed without major problems.

I'll appreciate if you can respond asap due they are gonna work with my computer tomorrow.

Thanks
Gabriel

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Windows 7 and El Capitan for mine.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi, I have an iMac Late 2009 27", 8 gb ram. I had to drop the computer on Apple services due a HDD change, they offered me to Install Yosemite or Capitan and asked me which Windows I'd like, if W7, W8 or W10, as you can see the iMac is quite old, which Windows should I go for? I've planned to use 120gb for Bootcamp.

Since Apple is doing the work for you, you may as well go for the latest: El Capitan and Windows 10. However.... I believe they will have to install Windows 7 first and do a free upgrade to Windows 10 as your 2009 iMac doesn't officially support Windows 10 as a direct install. The 120 GB partition should be sufficient for Windows provided you do not load up with games which take up a lot of space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.