PDA

View Full Version : .VOB files merge into one?

Applet
04-14-2016, 06:50 AM
is there a software already in my mbpr that allows for .VOB files to merge. if not, would something like http://www.aimersoft.com/edit-video/merge-vob.html detailed in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa0cua4mj9g be recommended?

thanks

Ember1205
04-21-2016, 05:35 PM
You can do this with command-line tools - no need to add additional software.

Open the terminal and change into the directory where the .VOB files are located. Use the "cat" command to stream out the contents of each file, one after another, and redirect them into a new file.

Example: cat file_1.vob file_2.vob file_3.vob >./full_file.vob

If file_1.vob, file_2.vob, and file_3.vob each represent segments of a full movie, they will be concatenated into the new, full file called full_file.vob

Slydude
04-21-2016, 10:39 PM
It's not built in but Handbrake or MPEG Streamclip should be able to do this.

Ember1205
04-22-2016, 09:43 AM
It's not built in but Handbrake or MPEG Streamclip should be able to do this.

There are all kinds of after-market / third party products that will do what the OP asked in terms of function. However, the request was for what's already on his machine...

Slydude
04-22-2016, 09:51 PM
There are all kinds of after-market / third party products that will do what the OP asked in terms of function. However, the request was for what's already on his machine...
I'm aware of that but, other than Terminal commands you suggested, there isn't a built-in alternative AFAIK. Not all of our members are comfortable / fluent with Terminal. Both of the programs I suggested are free.

Thanks for the Terminal commands BTW I wasn't aware of those.

Ember1205
04-22-2016, 10:05 PM
I'm aware of that but, other than Terminal commands you suggested, there isn't a built-in alternative AFAIK. Not all of our members are comfortable / fluent with Terminal. Both of the programs I suggested are free.

Thanks for the Terminal commands BTW I wasn't aware of those.

I'm not aware of anything else that would do it either (that's already installed). I shied away from discussing anything that was an add-on because there are a lot of pay-for products out there that do little more than create a "pretty window" (GUI) that runs command line commands behind the scenes. I grew up with Linux, so the CLI is very comfortable to me. I'm also amazingly cheap, so learning how to do these sorts of things without spending money was always something I would welcome. :)

Slydude
04-22-2016, 10:52 PM
I'm a big fan of trying included tools first but for me that only goes so far. As some of our long-term members will tell you that using the CLI gives me the hives.;D

Ember1205
04-22-2016, 11:09 PM
I'm a big fan of trying included tools first but for me that only goes so far. As some of our long-term members will tell you that using the CLI gives me the hives.;D

lol.... I do a lot in the terminal. I've been using Linux since 1994 - LONG before having a functional GUI was a given. Spent a lot of years in networking where all of the gear is configured via CLI, do a lot of scripting, and now work with other network gear that is easier to understand from the CLI than it is in the GUI. Plus, I run two Linux servers in my home with no GUI on them. Come on along... It's all perfectly safe, albeit dimly lit (it's a dark place).