View Full Version : A quick question about displays

04-13-2006, 07:34 AM
I have the Intel iMac 20" core duo and I am thinking about adding a second display to the system so that I can extend the desktop. Is it possible to add an Apple (or anyone else for that matter) display to the iMac? If so is it just a case of hooking the lot together?

Is there anything that I should be particuarly aware of?

Thanks in advance

04-13-2006, 08:44 AM
No its quite easy to do, all you need is a DVI > Mini DVI Cable, (Apple genuine cables are pretty pricey though)

Good luck

04-13-2006, 10:56 AM
A Mini DVI -> DVI adapter should be included with your iMac.

You can use any VGA or DVI display with your iMac, though a monitor with DVI connectors will give you a better image.

04-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Thanks people. I will just have to save the money now to be able to afford a 20" display.

04-14-2006, 11:18 PM
Well a Mini DVI --> DVI adapter isn't all that much money if you go third party, go with Apple though if you want to go in style. Be in mind that you will have to go into system prefferences, because if you don't the second display will just mirror the main display. When you are all done you will have a very nice setup.

Good Luck, hope it turns out well.

04-15-2006, 12:13 AM
The new iMac no longer ships with a Mini-DVI to DVI connector, so you'll have to buy one (I definitely suggest a 3rd party adapter, it's MUCH cheaper than an Apple one). As for buying a display, if you're looking at a 20", go for the Dell 2005FPW instead of the Apple Cinema Display. They both use the same display panel, and the Dell display can be had for less than half the price.