Windows 10 system service exception bsod on boot camp 6.

Reaction score
I recently updated to Windows 10 on my iMac (late 2013) and every time I attemp to install the bootcamp drivers, my Mac crashes and restarts with a message stating "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION". I don't know if this is specific to my model but I cannot find anyone to help me since apple regard it as a problem for microsoft and Microsoft don't know anything about problems with Macs running bootcamp.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
You might try running Windows 10 in safe mode and installing the drivers that way. Check out this article that talks about how to get into safe mode in Windows 10. It seems in Microsoft's infinite wisdom they have disabled safe mode. Enabling it is a pain but might be necessary. The first article deals with how to get safe mode enabled and the second deals with the error message you are getting.

Enabling Safe Mode:
https://www.xtremerain.com/enable-legacy-advanced-boot-menu-in-windows-88-110/

Dealing with SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION errors:
https://www.xtremerain.com/how-to-fix-system-service-exception/

I have had a wide variety of experiences installing Windows 10 on PCs at work. Most of the issues I have dealt with were wireless network devices. I have had to replace several due to a lack of updated drivers. I do not have W10 installed on an iMac. I do have it on a 2009 Macbook running OS X.11.4. I installed it over W7 so it was not a clean install.

Lisa

OP
B
Reaction score
I tried that and it still came up with the same message when I restarted. I know there's a driver that is causing this, I just need to find which one it is and replace it with an updated one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I tried that and it still came up with the same message when I restarted. I know there's a driver that is causing this, I just need to find which one it is and replace it with an updated one.

Nine times out of ten it's a graphics driver which is causing the error. I honestly don't know how you're going to overcome that unless you're not downloading the proper drivers from Apple. You might want to try what Lisa mentioned and that is to install Windows 7 first and then upgrade to Windows 10.

OP
B
Reaction score
For the Windows 10 drivers, Apple downloads them from the bootcamp app itself in OSX. It doesn't let you choose any specific drivers for your Mac so is there a chance that Apple is installing the wrong drivers on mine?
And if so do you know where I can manually download the drivers?

OP
B
Reaction score
Also I forgot to mention this in my original post but it was an update from Windows 7 and I've tried both updating from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and also directly installing Windows 10 and the same thing happens for both.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It seems in Microsoft's infinite wisdom they have disabled safe mode. Enabling it is a pain but might be necessary.

Lisa
Wow. Didn't know this. Wonder who at Microsoft gave the green light to that idea?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also I forgot to mention this in my original post but it was an update from Windows 7 and I've tried both updating from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and also directly installing Windows 10 and the same thing happens for both.

So I take it that Windows 7 was running OK on your iMac without any problems? If that's correct, then there is something that you're downloading that is not compatible. There are numerous folks in the Macrumors forum who have updated or installed Windows 10 on an iMac same as yours and have had no difficulty.

OP
B
Reaction score
I've tried everything mentioned in the guide above and I've had no luck. I really need to use Windows 10 for compatibility with other devices in our home and it's really infuriating that there appears to be no means of fixing this.

OP
B
Reaction score
Windows 7 runs fine, but as soon as I update to Windows 10 or do a clean install and try to install the drivers straight from the usb, my iMac just crashes and the message I mentioned above comes up. I've tried all the methods shown to fix it and they say there's issues but are unable to fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow. Didn't know this. Wonder who at Microsoft gave the green light to that idea?

No idea Sly - it was an interesting find for me. I get the feeling they are trying to "idiot proof" Windows 10 and I sometimes question who are the idiots?

Lisa

OP
B
Reaction score
Is there a chance that my usb stick could be creating the issues?
It's a quite new Kingston DataTraveler 101 G3 USB flash drive. The problem is I don't have any other drive to create the partition with apart from an old HDD drive that has a lot of personal information on.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok, so today I tried reinstalling Windows 10 and had a bit more luck as I was able to install the drivers and have the system work for about half an hour before it froze and I had to restart. Also, I am no longer getting the system service exception when I boot up and the system just launches startup repair and fails to fix the system as it was doing before.

OP
B
Reaction score
Unfortunately this didn't work and I've had to go back to Windows 7 for the time being until I hear news of Windows 10 being fixed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I must have gotten lucky with my bootcamp install on my 2009 Macbook - it went flawlessly. Wish I could say the same on the PCs I have been slowly upgrading. The one I did today was one of my video editors. First, my nVidia drivers were causing random monitor blinking and my second monitor was no longer recognized or working. Followed by the discovery that my CD/DVD burner was missing in action - as in not listed even in Device Manager. Loading Windows 10 went fast but loading my Desktop shortcut icons did NOT and they would disappear at random - never to return until reboot!

So after updating my video drivers twice with same drivers - and I did a clean install each time, I finally got my second monitor back. To get my DVD/CD burner I had to delete the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers both ATA Channel 0 and 1 - both sets. I had to do this twice also before my DVD/CD burner just appeared. I still have an unknown device under printers but until something doesn't work, it will remain a mystery. Oh, and my Desktop icons are still disappearing at random...... Today's PC upgrade was number 5 out of 15 in our facility. And the other 4 upgrades had their issues as well.

Unfortunately, in the Windows world, Microsoft is pushing hard for everyone to upgrade and I am just not sure I am sold on this version. I wanted to wait until they got the bugs ironed out - that seems to not be all completed yet.

So..... I take back all my former complaints that I may have uttered about any Apple update. O:)

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.