Excel for Mac - not autofilling - using El Capitan 10.11.2; Excel 2011 14.5.8

Reaction score
Hello - My first post. I can't get Excel to autofill properly. I have tried to enable and disable Autofill under 'Edit' in Preferences. When I select a cell, and insert the = sign and select the cell I wish to be noted in the destination cell, I get the column and row designation of the selected cell. (such as e2). Also, when I drag the autofill handle, it automatically increments the value by 1. any ideas?

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum.
When I select a cell, and insert the = sign and select the cell I wish to be noted in the destination cell, I get the column and row designation of the selected cell.
That is how it works. What did you think you'd get? When the formula is evaluated, the cell will be filled with whatever is in "e2" (your example).

Also, when I drag the autofill handle, it automatically increments the value by 1. any ideas?
What do you mean by "drag the autofill handle?" I have no idea what that means, sorry.

EDIT: If by "drag the autofill handle" you mean that you copy the formula to the next cell, that, too, is how it works. IF you want to point to "e2" and ONLY to "e2" you have to put it this way: "$e$2" The "$" is an indicator that the reference is absolute, not relative. Otherwise, if you enter "=e2" in one cell and copy it to the cell below, it becomes "=e3" because the reference is relative, i.e., so many cells over and so many cells up. The "$" says to ignore the relative and always pick column "E", cell "2"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Yeah, not enough specific detail. I get the autofill handle part, but not the "increments the value" part. Are you referring to the formula or the result?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.