PDA

View Full Version : Did the site "burp" again?

MacInWin
03-23-2016, 09:23 AM
This morning I opened my emails and there were a half dozen emails from the site, alerting me to "new" posts. But the emails were duplicates of ones I had received days ago, and the "new" posts were all old posts I had already read. I don't think it's my mail server, as the date/times on the emails were all today, between 5:20 and 6:00 AM EDT. Does anybody know if the board had a brain burp and resent emails?

IWT
03-23-2016, 01:32 PM
I can't be sure, Jake, but I noticed today that when I gave a thumbs-up approval rating to someone, the dialogue box which came up after doing so, was new. Quite different.

And in the last half hour, I've received an email telling me that someone had added a comment to a thread I posted to; but it was five days old and I had seen it already.

So my guess is that there may have been a few tweaks to the system.

Ian

pigoo3
03-23-2016, 01:37 PM
I'm in the same boat. I'm also getting Mac-Forums email notices today…that should have been delivered days & days ago.

I will check with the "Website Gods"…to see what's up.:)

- Nick

chscag
03-23-2016, 01:56 PM
Same here Nick. I just received a whole bunch of PMs from the forums. None of them were current.

chscag
03-23-2016, 02:10 PM
I don't know it this matters, but on March 19, I received an email from, webmaster@mac-forums.com. It was sent to an email address not associated with my Mac-Forums account, and it was addressed to, mountaindreamlife. It was about a "Contact Us" message.

That was another problem we ran into recently when one of our forum members had their email address spoofed. We received a number of reports from members and non members of the same thing.

cradom
03-23-2016, 02:57 PM
Yup, someone kicked the servers. I just got some notices again from last week.

MacInWin
03-23-2016, 03:35 PM
And I just got five more "old" new messages. All from days ago.

dtravis7
03-23-2016, 06:06 PM
Just to agree with everyone else, same here. Some from up to 2 weeks back! :D

Slydude
03-23-2016, 06:57 PM
Add me to the group as well.

IWT
03-23-2016, 07:03 PM
And just to a small note: on checking the "new posts" just now, I found three threads to which I had posted had been updated. Did not receive any email notification of these.

I'm sure it will all be sorted out soon.

We do appreciate the hard work you admins and mods put in to keep the Mac-Forums going. Very many thanks.

Ian

badshoehabit
03-23-2016, 08:30 PM
Me too.

MacInWin
03-24-2016, 12:19 PM
If we can't fix it can we at least turn off the spam engine? I'm getting old notices in bunches of 5-6 every couple of hours. I've written a rule to dump all the mail from the board into the trash just to clear my inbox. Very, very annoying.

IWT
03-24-2016, 01:06 PM
Yes, as with Jake, I am now getting bunches of old notices (7 this morning) and long-time-back PMs.

I post this, not in anger or complaint, but as information to our Admins & Mods that the problems continue.

Ian

chscag
03-24-2016, 08:27 PM
Everyone:

The problem has been reported to our dev team at Penton. They are in the process of getting it fixed. Additionally, we also asked about the Mac-Forums app status and whether or not it would be placed back in the iTunes app store and be kept up to date.

TattooedMac
03-24-2016, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the heads up Charlie.
For those that do sync with iTunes, shouldn't the MF App sync if you select it, IF it's in your library ? At least I have it on my iPad . . . .

Slydude
03-24-2016, 10:04 PM
I think it will but I haven't tried that recently.

IWT
03-28-2016, 09:03 AM
Just for information to our Admins & Mods:

The long-past emails about previous threads have ceased. Great.

But I don't seem to be getting emails about current threads to which I have posted — at least not all of them. When I go into Home/Forum > New Posts, I find a few threads have been added to although I've not had any notification. Only a few, I admit.

Ian

pigoo3
03-28-2016, 09:57 AM
The long-past emails about previous threads have ceased. Great.

But I don't seem to be getting emails about current threads to which I have posted — at least not all of them. When I go into Home/Forum > New Posts, I find a few threads have been added to although I've not had any notification. Only a few, I admit.

It may be that it is not resolved yet. Hopefully one of the website gods will look into things soon. Maybe the long Easter weekend delayed things a bit.

- Nick

IWT
03-28-2016, 10:18 AM
No problem, Nick. It was only FYI.

Time is a greater healer.

Ian