PDA

View Full Version : Arrrgh! It's not that difficult...

toMACsh
03-09-2016, 02:01 PM
Ok, have to get this off my chest:

http://www.grammarly.com/blog/2014/misused-apostrophes/

Grammarly’s cut-throat competition to determine the most “maddening” writing error concluded on April 6, 2014 with MISUSED APOSTROPHES crowned as the undisputed Grammar Madness bracket champion.

Tens of thousands of grammarians voted in 16 separate match-ups representing the most annoying errors in English writing.

According to one voter in the final match-up between YOUR/YOU’RE and MISUSED APOSTROPHES: “[I]t seems like there is a whole new wave of people who believe that you NEED an apostrophe and an ‘s’ to make a word plural.”

There’s no doubt that misused apostrophes are maddening to word enthusiasts across the globe. Institutions that have taken a stand on apostrophes continue to stoke the fire:

The Domestic Names Committee of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names doesn’t like apostrophes, according to the Wall Street Journal.
The Cambridge City Council proposed to abolish the use of apostrophes on street signs (The Telegraph).
The Internet doesn’t include apostrophes as part of Web addresses (for example: McDonald’s is mcdonalds.com).
Generally, an apostrophe is used to indicate possession – not plural – and to mark missing letters in contractions (for example: you are = you’re).

The Oatmeal has an amazing visual primer on how to use an apostrophe.

When in doubt, conventional wisdom tells us not to use an apostrophe in our writing. This may save us from any one of the following embarrassing – and very public – writing mistakes

There, (not their or they're) I feel better now.

pigoo3
03-09-2016, 02:12 PM
Thread moved to Schweb's Lounge. Not a Switcher Hangout topic.

Thanks,:)

- Nick

harryb2448
03-09-2016, 04:18 PM
Thats (deliberate to give you a lift) good and we all feel better with that stress gone!

cradom
03-09-2016, 08:15 PM
That gets so frustrating, especially on Facebook. However, I don't correct because I don't need my family marching on my house carrying torches.

XJ-linux
03-09-2016, 09:22 PM
The one that always screws me up is possessive for "it". For some reason, I always want to use it's...

Its color is red.
It's color is red.

Life's funny sometimes. :)

Slydude
03-09-2016, 10:48 PM
When I was writing for About This Particular Mac we were in the process of editing one of the articles in an issue. The author used the word "its" several times in an article. For some reason I had a brain freeze and tagged that as incorrect/awkward.

I stayed stuck in that mode till the publisher pointed out the mistake I was making. I was trading the word as it's when the author had clearly written it correctly. needless to say I was mortally embarrassed.

harryb2448
03-10-2016, 12:35 AM
Maybe Sly the Olde Englishe would be better and use "'Tis".

toMACsh
03-10-2016, 01:54 PM
Thread moved to Schweb's Lounge. Not a Switcher Hangout topic.

See there! I was raging against the improper use of ' and didn't even know which forum I was posting in! ;)

pigoo3
03-10-2016, 02:08 PM
The one that always screws me up is possessive for "it". For some reason, I always want to use it's...

Its color is red.
It's color is red.

The "trick" I sometimes use when I use contractions when writing…is to "undo" the contraction…then see how the sentence reads.

Using the example above:

- Its color is red.
- It's color is red…becomes…"It is color is red."

After the contraction is "undone" it makes things much clearer.:)

Like I said. I use this "trick" quite a bit…which saves me from the occasional flub!;)

- Nick

badshoehabit
03-10-2016, 06:37 PM
Exactly.

It's is always a contraction, abbreviation, meaning 'it is'
Its is what you use instead of his/hers for an indeterminate object

Apostrophes are used to abbreviate - 'what's that?' (what is that?) OR show possession - Sue's cat/house/car/shoes; pigoo3's comment; Obama's healthcare project

(Sorry, 40 years in journalism/PR)

neilf
03-11-2016, 01:41 PM

Its color is red.
It's color is red.

Life's funny sometimes. :)

I am sure you meant to type "colour" ;)

toMACsh
03-11-2016, 01:50 PM
Well, the trickiest one is using 's for plurals. (that would be plural's) It is a very common error, and the one that prompted this thread.

As far as the possessive of it, I've always assumed that it cannot have the ' because it is already spoken for by the contraction.

cradom
03-11-2016, 01:54 PM

Ah, man, lets not go there again. We finally got Bryan to sleep. :P

badshoehabit
03-11-2016, 02:03 PM
Well, the trickiest one is using 's for plurals. (that would be plural's) It is a very common error, and the one that prompted this thread.

Don't know about the US but in the UK this is known as the greengrocer's apostrophe because it is so common in shop labels: tomatoe's, avocado's, potatoe's etc.

I have been known to get a pen out and correct them... :|

Sawday
03-11-2016, 03:55 PM
Tomato's, potato's surely. Still wrong but spelt correctly. Don't we have a great language!!! :)

badshoehabit
03-11-2016, 06:58 PM
Er, potatoes and tomatoes do have an 'e'. But anything goes with a greengrocer. ;P

Sawday
03-11-2016, 07:11 PM

Another common mistake I'm afraid. The above should clarify things.

harryb2448
03-11-2016, 09:49 PM
Who cares.

http://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/the-plural-of/potato.html

http://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com/blog/english-mistakes/tomatoes-or-tomatos/

What you have posted Sawday is incorrect - according to your reference and I quote:-

Some say tomāto, some say tomăto, but when there is more than one, everyone has to add –es to make it plural. The English words tomato and potato are sometimes mistakenly made plural by simply adding an –s. But these two words, along with a few others, need –es in the plural.

badshoehabit
03-12-2016, 06:56 AM
This sort of thing was drummed into us by rote at school in the 50s and 60s (no apostrophe because it's plural, not possessive) and I appreciate that it probably isn't done the same way now. Interestingly, even our red top newspapers bide by the old rules on apostrophes and spelling. Proper use of apostrophes, etc, is the difference, and I quote: 'knowing the difference from your **** and you're ****'. :o

The best, and funniest, modern usage guide to English (UK English, so there will be differences in spelling) is Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss.

Dissenters will be encouraged that I cannot do sums (math...).

XJ-linux
03-12-2016, 10:10 AM

LOL. The only time I type "colour" is when I type "Any Colour You Like"...

http://www.puresoliloquy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/pink-floyd-dark-side-of-the-moon-wallpaper-2.png

alonaa
03-17-2016, 09:05 AM
LOL. The only time I type "colour" is when I type "Any Colour You Like"...

http://www.puresoliloquy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/pink-floyd-dark-side-of-the-moon-wallpaper-2.png

Wow... It's like rainbow cake :D

toMACsh
03-19-2016, 01:12 PM
Cake? You must be looking through a different prism. ;)

By the way, on the subject matter of this thread: It did not have a positive effect. (Yes, I'm sure that's not "affect".) I can only try, but sometimes wonder if there's any reason to. :Grimmace::\

Dysfunction
03-30-2016, 10:23 PM
Wow... It's like rainbow cake :D

I feel very, very old now.

BudVitoff
04-13-2016, 07:53 PM
I still have one tiny item to bring up -- an exception, possibly? Consider the common phrase Mind your p's and q's. Talk to me about that.

Dysfunction
04-14-2016, 04:47 AM
I still have one tiny item to bring up -- an exception, possibly? Consider the common phrase Mind your p's and q's. Talk to me about that.

Wot about it? It's a valid english phrase (both American and English... possibly Australian ;) )

BudVitoff
04-14-2016, 08:47 AM
You're kidding, right?

Need I say more?

toMACsh
04-14-2016, 01:52 PM
I know that many "style books" (I think that's what they call them) for print medium companies (think newspapers, magazines) make that exception, also for acronyms. So a pdf document becomes pdf's when referring to two or more. Now, mind you, style books do not follow all the grammatical rules. For example, "rags" are full of sentence fragments. They tend to use a period where a comma should be to break up a long sentence, sometimes even beginning the next paragraph with the last phrase of such a sentence.

BudVitoff
04-14-2016, 03:18 PM
Oh, let's not get carried away into that world. That'll bring my grandkids into the picture and you don't want to do that.