PDA

View Full Version : durability of spectacle len's

Applet
03-07-2016, 03:33 AM
l've had my spectacles and the non branded lens (~about 8x cheaper than HOYA lens) for around a year, take reasonable care of them, use the lather bubbles of shampoos or body wash whilst in shower, then wash off with water. l normally just dab dry with a cotton body cloth and give it a wipe with a cheap lens cloth about 12 hours later so it is relatively clear. Thing is the lens aren't scratched but has stains that cannot be removed. was told by opticians it's the coating. how long do you have lens for before they become like this. l tried to attach a picture. but it fails to upload :( looking forward to your advice.

cradom
03-07-2016, 05:25 AM
Looks like the soap is wearing away at the coating. That anti-glare, anti-scratch coating should last a while.
I only use that bottled cleaner I get at Walmart and a cloth wipe. Never use paper towels.

chscag
03-07-2016, 03:31 PM
I agree with Craig. Soap will eventually wear away the coating on the lens. I use the same bottled cleaner from the Wal-Mart glasses shop that Craig uses. I even use that same bottled cleaner and a soft tissue damped with the cleaner to clean the glass on my 27" iMac. Works great and leaves no streaks.

harryb2448
03-07-2016, 03:42 PM
Soap is caustic so what you are seeing is usual. Spray cleaner and a soft cloth supplied by the optometerist is much better.