• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

?: Is earning PT income possible with Apple product repair/consulting/sales

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 MacBook (m5), 2013 macbook pro retina 15", 2009 MBP non retina 13", 2014 21" iMac
Hello everyone,

I appreciate the opportunity to interact with you folks and would like to ask your opinion about something that is important to me.

Im 61 years old and have been in the fast food business for 34 years (Arby's) as a franchisee. Arby's has great food but the business model has numerous deficiencies which I won't bore you with. Anyway, I love Apple products and feel like the time I have spent studying and experimenting with the equipment we have is something that I would really enjoy doing on a part time basis.

The income I would derive is not important (we are not necessarily well off financially, but have learned that doing something you love and making a modest income is far better than doing something you dislike and making more). I am just past the newbie stage with Apple products in terms of knowledge and experience but still consider myself in the very early stages.

I don't want to own a big computer repair/consulting business, but would love to do any of the following:

1. Be an Apple at Home Advisor

2. Work at an Apple Store

3. Work for an Apple repair/consulting business

4. Work in retail sales involving Apple products

5. Be a tech for a company like iCracked

I love to work, have a high energy level, am easy to get along with and have been told by many that I have excellent people skills. Ive also been told by many that I am "too nice" and let people take advantage of me which unfortunately I have to agree with!

With that said, do you feel I have any chance to derive a part time income in any type of Apple related business or position? Please tell me if you don't believe so as one thing Ive learned in our business is that you have to have thick skin and try to learn at every opportunity.

If you do feel there is a chance, please let me know which avenue you would advise me to pursue.

Thanks so much. With your help Ive been able to replace two hard drives with SSDs and was thrilled to be able to do so!

Best to you folks,

Rick

M

MacInWin

To be honest, it's going to be difficult to get in. Apple's culture is younger than you and me. To see what I mean, go to your nearest Apple store and look at the age of the Geniuses and the sales staff. No grey hair anywhere in sight. Now, if you want, you can contact Apple about what it would require for you to be a part time advisor. I have no idea how old the chat support folks are, or the telephone support folks. So that may be a possibility. However, I don't know what level of training they require or what they may offer. Again, contact Apple to ask, can't hurt. And in Phoenix, maybe you can make a pitch that the senior population doesn't want to talk to a young whippersnapper about their computers, they want someone with maturity.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you work independently…then anything is possible.:) But like any new business (as you know):)…it can take a while to build awareness of your services.

- Nick

OP
greyhound rick
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 MacBook (m5), 2013 macbook pro retina 15", 2009 MBP non retina 13", 2014 21" iMac
Thank you Jake and Nick!

I think (when I'm ready) I will make an attempt to be an Apple at Home Advisor. If I don't make it I will probably try to do something along the lines of consulting/repair/training on a very small level here locally. I obviously have to prepare myself by devoting a tremendous amount of time learning, but I am willing to do so.

Thanks again for the input and, as always, I welcome any input anytime and appreciate it very much!

Rick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.