PDA

View Full Version : New Mac or not new Mac...

rexcumberland
03-02-2016, 11:13 AM
Would appreciate any thoughts or insight into this...

I make music. I use a 2009 Macpro 2.26 8 core/32GB mem. I am running Logic 9 (not intending to go to Logic X - if and when, I will probably
go to Cubase). I find, as my sessions get more complicated and track and plugin intensive, that I could use a more powerful computer. Not keen
on a new "wastebasket" Macpro (cost, no PCI, lack of disk space, new memory etc - could run to $5000 - 6000). So I have been looking at a refurb 2012 12core Macpro. But they currently are around $3000 - 4000, depending on the processor/memory.
From what I have read on the net the new Macs don't significantly outperform the 2012 Macpro. So, aside from having a computer that future new versions of the OS will run on, am I really gaining with a new Mac?
I don't expect definitive answers, but any insights or ideas appreciated. (I will need PCI slots and plenty of hard drive space whichever computer I end up getting).

I have also thought about going Cubase/PC - Cheaper, able to configure the computer any way I want, most of my plugins are already available for PC, and so on. The downside being that it's a PC...

Thanks, Rex

pigoo3
03-02-2016, 11:19 AM
I find, as my sessions get more complicated and track and plugin intensive, that I could use a more powerful computer.

When you run into this situation…open Activity Monitor (in the Utilities Folder in Applications)…and check out the CPU utilization (CPU tab). If all 8-cores of your Mac Pro aren't being utilized fully…then having an 8-core computer does you no good (at least in terms of total CPU cores). Let us know.:)

- Nick

rexcumberland
03-02-2016, 12:58 PM
When you run into this situation…open Activity Monitor (in the Utilities Folder in Applications)…and check out the CPU utilization (CPU tab). If all 8-cores of your Mac Pro aren't being utilized fully…then having an 8-core computer does you no good (at least in terms of total CPU cores). Let us know.:)

- Nick

Thanks Nick.

Yes, I am aware of the activity monitor - Logic also has its own display for this. I find in Logic 9 that some of the threads are often peaking and, at the same time, other threads show no activity. Has been this way since I can remember and has been the source of much Logic user *****ing - don't know about Logic X.
You can, within Logic, specify how many threads you want active (or leave it in "automatic"). But I have never been able to prevent this imbalance.
I suppose my original question is also: does anyone have an idea how long I might be able to use my current 2009 Macpro with future OS updates?
I'm still using 10.9 but realise that I will have to update eventually.
Thanks.

pigoo3
03-02-2016, 02:52 PM
I find in Logic 9 that some of the threads are often peaking and, at the same time, other threads show no activity.

A 2009 Mac Pro 4,1 can have up to 16 possible threads. When you check…how many threads are being used when doing your computing projects?

- Nick

rexcumberland
03-02-2016, 04:14 PM
A 2009 Mac Pro 4,1 can have up to 16 possible threads. When you check…how many threads are being used when doing your computing projects?

- Nick

Nick,

I have the Logic processing threads set to automatic, so only 8 threads show for me. You can set it to 16 if you wish - and 16 threads are then displayed.

pigoo3
03-02-2016, 05:46 PM
I have the Logic processing threads set to automatic, so only 8 threads show for me. You can set it to 16 if you wish - and 16 threads are then displayed.

I'm trying to help you…but you're not answering the questions I'm asking.:( Ok…8 threads are showing for you.:) But how many are actually being used…and to what extent?

If Logic doesn't show this info…then head to Activity Monitor as I suggested in my first response in the thread.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

rexcumberland
03-02-2016, 06:49 PM
I'm trying to help you…but you're not answering the questions I'm asking.:( Ok…8 threads are showing for you.:) But how many are actually being used…and to what extent?

If Logic doesn't show this info…then head to Activity Monitor as I suggested in my first response in the thread.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

Nick,

I do understand you, but how many threads and how much is different for every session. It can be one thread, or all threads. It's dependent on number of tracks, plugins, sample/bit rate etc etc. I mean no offense and appreciate your time but, if you give me an idea of where you are going with this, I might be able to give more helpful answers.

Thanks.

pigoo3
03-02-2016, 07:05 PM
...if you give me an idea of where you are going with this, I might be able to give more helpful answers.

You mentioned in your 1st post that as your sessions get more complex & more plug-in's used…it seems like you could use a more powerful computer.

Ok…this all sounds well & good…but quantitatively speaking…this is not very quantitative info.

What I want you to do is:

- Do a complex session with lots of plug in's.
- Open Activity Monitor…and note how many threads are being used.
- AND how full each "thread bar" is (Window menu & open the "CPU Usage" window).

For example. If someone was using the program called Handbrake. When this program does something…it fully utilizes all threads & all cores…and all thread bars are full. With the apps you use…I want you to tell us how many threads are being used & how fully utilized each thread & core is (from the Activity Monitor window I mentioned).

- Nick

rexcumberland
03-02-2016, 07:11 PM
You mentioned in your 1st post that as your sessions get more complex & more plug-in's used…it seems like you could use a more powerful computer.

Ok…this all sounds well & good…but quantitatively speaking…this is not very quantitative info.

What I want you to do is:

- Do a complex session with lots of plug in's.
- Open Activity Monitor…and note how many threads are being used.
- AND how full each "thread bar" is (Window menu & open the "CPU Usage" window).

For example. If someone was using the program called Handbrake. When this program does something…it fully utilizes all threads & all cores…and all thread bars are full. With the apps you use…I want you to tell us how many threads are being used & how fully utilized each thread & core is (from the Activity Monitor window I mentioned).

- Nick

Ok, got it! May take a moment as I am half way through several sessions at the moment. Please stay tuned.

Thanks.

pigoo3
03-02-2016, 07:13 PM
Ok, got it! May take a moment as I am half way through several sessions at the moment. Please stay tuned.

Good deal.:)

- Nick