Recommended Anti-Virus apps ?

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to Mac and have been looking at options regarding anti-virus software. I know Macs are far less vulnerable than Windows machines but I'd still rather have an anti virus program / App.

Malwarebytes seems to be good and free. ClamXav also seems to be good (although now not free). Are there others that are very good (and pref. free) ??

Is ClamXav worth paying for ???

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
As you have been looking at options you must have discovered that the best option is not to have any. As there are no OSX viruses what do you think you would be checking for?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
As member Sawday points out, you do not need any AV software. This subject has been discussed into the ground on these forums (try doing a search if you want) and the reasons for NOT having AV software: there are no wild viruses that affect Macs; AV software does not detect malware in most cases; AV slows your Mac; AV gives false positive readings particularly when software updates are offered by Apple - the AV thinks they are viruses! So you often have to disable your AV in order to keep up to date.

You are wise in selecting Malwarebytes and we usually advise getting the free plugins to your Browser - Ghostery and Adblock plus because they help prevent the malware and other -wares from intruding on your Mac.

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
One of these days we may need AV software on our Mac's. But not yet.:)

- Nick

p.s. Been saying this for the 15 years OS X has been around.;)
p.p.s. Malwarebytes IS definitely something useful to have!:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...and the reasons for NOT having AV software: there are no wild viruses that affect Macs; AV software does not detect malware in most cases; AV slows your Mac; AV gives false positive readings particularly when software updates are offered by Apple - the AV thinks they are viruses! So you often have to disable your AV in order to keep up to date.

Awesome summation Ian!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
And just to close the loop, Malwarebytes is not AV software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As suggested stick with malwarebytes for Mac, and also many of us use AdblockPlus, Ghostery and ScamZapper.

If (0r when) a Mac OS X virus rears its head you will know all about it. It will be raging world headlines as all the Apple prophets of doom and AV companies will trumpet loud and long.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
But, if you really, really NEED (emotionally, I guess) AV software, the one I've seen recommended the most is Clam X. ...or is it Clam XV? I don't use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You are carrying this over from your Windows day. Look at it this way. All AV programs update the dtabase by downloading the latest Windows virus detection information and run that over your Mac. Why do they not download Mac virus definitions? Simple there are none! An .exe virus cannot execute on the Unix operating system.

M

MacInWin

About the only use for AV software on a Mac is to detect how much of your email is infected and to avoid passing it on to your Windows-using friends. I used to run ClamXav about once a year to purge the email but now I don't bother. It was only finding a handful and I hadn't forwarded them because they were all junk mail anyway.

Reaction score
Hello ChrisUK,

Although I have never willingly been a Windows user, I can understand your anxiety about addressing antivirus issues that are so prevalent in the Windows environment, existing in your newly discovered Macintosh environment.

I believe that some OSX users/advisers are perhaps averse to the idea that Mac targeted viruses exist. I have suffered one particularly destructive virus, malware episode (whatever term the "pundits" wish to call it, the data loss was irreparable) and have sought the same 'peace of mind' you apparently seek. "Avast Mac Security" checks daily for all current virus definitions and recognises and defends against any virus meeting those new definitions, whether you are opening emails (Apple Mail) or web browsing (Safari).

I have installed the free "Avast Mac Security" package and been protected ever since. This free program can run scans across your active System (even while using it), external drives etc. It can store any viruses detected during a scan in a secure “Chest” within the Avast program or destroy it, as you wish.

It scans all emails you receive quietly and in the background. While browsing (in Safari at least), it will INSTANTLY recognise and protect against any infected web site (as defined in its daily virus definition update check). It displays a screen entitled “infection blocked!” and provides details of the attempted viral/infection attack.

My comments may be regarded as "heretical" in some Mac user/forum quarters; I alone know the irreparable data storage damage inflicted by a Mac orientated virus or malware. I have the entire destructive set of instructions for forensic examination by those more knowable than me but no one has ever asked for this "proof" of my assertion of Mac orientated virus or malware's existence.

I suggest your try "Avast Mac Security"; it costs nothing and I have felt safer (computer use wise) ever since. Where Avast can finance their free software is through software windows offering to hide your browsing identity. This involves you subscribing to their "premium" service for a fee. The Avast Mac Security itself runs happily, quietly and effectively in the background without those "upgrade to premium" windows intruding into your use of this Mac orientated anti virus software on any regular basis.

I hope this may reassure you that effective anti virus software is available (AND free) in the Macintosh environment.

Sincerely, PaulRanger1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

I hope this may reassure you that effective anti virus software is available (AND free) in the Macintosh environment.

@ Chris.. - Paul Ranger has thrown in yet another 'monkey wrench' into this discussion - first, there are no known 'viruses' (i.e. self-replicating malware that can infect other computers) in the wild at the moment that affects OS X - now, there may certainly have been other malware (a generic 'umbrella' term that covers many computer threats, including those related to browser software, the main issue w/ Apple computers) that affected Paul's computer but it was NOT a virus, which is what most of the AV software is trying to discover.

Most of us here DO NOT run AV software on our OS X computers - but you must protect yourself against browser malware (again NOT viruses, worms, trojans, etc.) and practice careful browsing practices, as already suggested. Now I actually have ClamXav installed on my wife's iMac - why? Well, she exchanges a LOT of emails w/ friends on Windows computers and there is a remote possibility that an email attachment could contain a Windows virus that is NO threat to her computer but maybe to the Windows users? I run this software about every 3-4 months for nearly 2 years now and nothing has shown - NOW, the reviews on ClamXav have been quite variable - click on the link to a recent one from PC Mag - may not be the best choice, but there are better assessments if you want to search.

Bottom line for me is that you DO NOT need an AV app on your Mac computer (again to re-emphasize, malware is an umbrella term and virus is a very specific type of malware and at the moment NOT an issue on OS X). Dave :)

Reaction score
These posts always crack me up coming from windows users. The reality is that even on Windows you don't need to install 3rd party anti-virus as it's already baked into the operating system. I may be wrong but if a virus were to pop up for Macs Apple would be able to release a simple security fix, quickly eliminating the threat. I feel like malware is the bigger concern these days not viruses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Hello ChrisUK,

"Avast Mac Security" checks daily for all current virus definitions

You missed one very important word here. "Windows". You sentence should read Avast Mac Security checks daily for all current WINDOWS virus definitions. Since there are no mac viruses and windows viruses won't harm a mac I do wonder what you are gaining by running this program.

Reaction score
My advice to Chris was to relate my happy experience with Avast to someone who seemed to be seeking advice/reassuring concerning potential viruses in his newly discovered Mac OS X environment. The word "Windows" is not missing from my sentence. Avast purports to daily update known Virus definitions. Given that the download/install file is a .dmg (i.e. for MAC), not .exe (i.e. for Windows), Avast is NOT checking for all current WINDOWS virus definitions.

Whether the incalculable destruction of data I suffered, often as I watched icons/files/folders slide off the bottom of the screen into oblivion, was due to a (non existent) Mac virus or malware is, to me, entirely academic. The damage was caused by a virus or malware attached specifically to "4Media DVD Creator for Mac V.7. I have the entire instruction set should any pundit wish to examine it to determine that the cause was indeed malware, not a Mac virus. I have yet be asked by anyone for me to forward it for their scrutiny.

In the continuing absence of such a request, I can only relate my total satisfaction with my daily use (unobtrusively in background) of Avast Mac Security. The only automatic evidence of its silent operation is a footnote on incoming emails saying e.g. "This email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected by Avast" or similar. This is Avast's "Mail Shield" in unobtrusive operation. When browsing in Safari, a window will periodically appear upper right corner "Virus definitions update. The virus definitions have been updated."

Further, Avast will, when an infected site is opened immediately open a warning window "Infection blocked! Avast Web shield has blocked a threat".

Seems straightforward to me; the program is free, checks daily for latest virus definitions (FOR MAC), works in the background, can scan internal HD while in HD is use displaying numbers of files scanned, files that could not be scanned (apparently not indicative of any potential threats) and blocks infection attacks online instantly. Classifying categorically exactly what Avast is protecting me from is immaterial to me. After such devastation in the past, I just happy with and grateful for the program.

One other program (also free) I have installed is "Malwarebytes" available from <https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/> which I run manually periodically and which has not yet found any malware and/or adware on the Mac HD.

I hope these comments may be more 'food for thought', PaulRanger1.

Reaction score
Hi everybody… I was recommended to install 'Sophos' onto my elderly Mac (iMac G5 … PPC processor - 2gb memory - OSX10.5.8 Leopard) which I did. In the few years it's been on it, I've had maybe two at most alerts of 'detected threats' of which only one made it to the quarantine for disposal. As far as I know, my system is clean.

I notice that Sophos isn't mentioned anywhere on here, which leads me to two questions: Is it basically NFG… (ineffective and not worth the bother)?… or has it simply not been mentioned for another reason?

Should I be scrapping it and installing another anti malware programme… or maybe installing another as well… and if so, which one?
You seem to rate 'Malwarebytes' pretty highly, but does it work with pre-Intel PPC Macs? They never get a mention, but there are a lot of us around the world still using them. The cost of a newer Mac puts them out of reach to many, but we don't want to go to a Windows set up after using a Mac. I've only ever known Mac, since having this one donated - needing repair, which a friend and I sorted out - I'd been made redundant and found that any job hunting these days required me to be 'on line'… I'd never used a computer before in my life. On the few occasions that I've used a Windows system when away from home, I've found them unnecessarily complicated to use compared to my old Mac… and the screens? What a load of pony eh?

Reaction score
Hi everybody… I was recommended to install 'Sophos' onto my elderly Mac...
I notice that Sophos isn't mentioned anywhere on here, which leads me to two questions: Is it basically NFG… (ineffective and not worth the bother)?… or has it simply not been mentioned for another reason?

There are several free anti-virus programs for the Macintosh. Unfortunately, "free" isn't always a good deal. I've found that most of the free AV programs for the Mac cause more problems than any malware you are seeking protection from. On top of that, some of these programs actually install adware. (If a product is free, you have to ask yourself how they are making their money.)
http://www.thesafemac.com/avast-installs-adware/

If you feel that you want to have anti-virus (AV) software (and I'm not saying that you need to have it), I think that any of the free AV programs available at this point are a bad choice. (You get what you pay for.) Most cause nasty software conflicts and can bring your Mac to its knees. If you are going to get AV software, for a reasonable price you can get the best commercial choice: VirusBarrier.
http://www.thesafemac.com/mac-anti-virus-testing-01-2013/
VirusBarrier has won just about all of the believable comparison tests, it comes from a company that only makes Mac software, it has been around for well over a decade, and it rarely causes annoying side effects:

Intego's VirusBarrier ($40/year)
http://www.intego.com/antivirus-internet-security-x8

Should I be scrapping it and installing another anti malware programme… or maybe installing another as well… and if so, which one?
You seem to rate 'Malwarebytes' pretty highly, but does it work with pre-Intel PPC Macs?

Malwarebytes is free, and excellent for getting rid of adware. I don't know how well it handles other types of malware. I would guess that it handles just about no malware.

Does it work for pre-Intel Macs? I don't know. I very much doubt it since it is a fairly new product and no one is writing software for pre-Intel Macs anymore. On the other hand, I doubt that there is any malware in the wild for pre-Intel Macs either, and that since they are so old and relatively uncommon, it's highly unlikely that anyone would write new malware targeting them.

Reaction score
Whether the incalculable destruction of data I suffered, often as I watched icons/files/folders slide off the bottom of the screen into oblivion, was due to a (non existent) Mac virus or malware is, to me, entirely academic.

Here's the thing, Paul. All of the malware (which is a term that includes viruses and other types of malicious software) that has ever existed for OS X is known. There are a number of entities whose entire existence is all about tracking malware for OS X. While there are over a million kinds of malware for Windows, there has only ever been a handful for OS X. Here is a fairly complete list (unfortunately this list stopped being updated when Malwarebytes bought the developer out, but it is mostly complete):

http://www.thesafemac.com/mmg-catalog/

There are about 50 pieces of malware there. Just about every single one of them is either now extinct in the wild, never existed in the wild, or the Mac OS has been patched against it.

So...which of these pieces of malware did you contract? I don't see one that does what you say the piece of malware that you contracted did to you. You would think that if there was malware for the Macintosh that could act as maliciously as you make out, that we all would have heard about it, and the experts would know all about it by now. In fact, judging by how the media has responded in the past, I would expect that it would be all over the media.

Have you tried running a virus scan on the files that you mentioned to see if your AV software can tell you what the "malware" is? Or have you tried sending the files to one of the AV companies to analyze?
https://www.intego.com/support/submit-malware

And how did the malware that you contracted manage to do its deed? Are you running a really old version of OS X? Or have you been blocking Apple's security updates?

I'm not saying that you didn't have the experience you had. I'm sure that you did. I'm just doubting that it was caused by malware. Many computer users are somewhat paranoid, and when "bad stuff" happens they like to blame it on "a virus." The thing is, that's a highly unlikely diagnosis for the Macintosh. Since there isn't any malware that can do what you experienced, it therefore seems highly likely that it must have been due to something else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" with Retina 4K Display, 3.1GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB Flash Storage Late 2015
I have been using Macs for eight years now. There have been times that I thought I might be infected by a virus or malware. I downloaded software ran it on my system and in all those times nothing was found. Not sure what conclusion you can draw from that but I am left with the opinion constant surveillance is unnecessary. Remember smart behavior is probably more valuable that software.

Hello,

I am new to Mac and have been looking at options regarding anti-virus software. I know Macs are far less vulnerable than Windows machines but I'd still rather have an anti virus program / App.

Malwarebytes seems to be good and free. ClamXav also seems to be good (although now not free). Are there others that are very good (and pref. free) ??

Is ClamXav worth paying for ???

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.