Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

Reaction score
Adobe Acrobat Reader DC could not open 'OnyX.dmg' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
An image file "OnyX.dmg" does not open with Adobe Acrobat Reader. It's designed to open when you double click on it if the file is not damaged. You can download OnyX from the developer's web site here.

OP
S
Reaction score
An image file "OnyX.dmg" does not open with Adobe Acrobat Reader. It's designed to open when you double click on it if the file is not damaged. You can download OnyX from the developer's web site here.

I tried with Adobe Reader and got the same reply.
"OnyX.dmg" not a supported file type.
What now?

M

MacInWin

A .dmg file is NOT, repeat, NOT an Adobe file. It is a disk image for OSX. You cannot open with ANY Adobe product, period. As chscag tried to tell you, just double click on the .dmg file and it should open a window displaying what is on the disk image.

Repeat, it is NOT a file openable by ANY Adobe product.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just double click the .dmg file. That is all that is necessary. Your are reading something into this that is not there. Depending on your Mac and operating system, which you have not shared, Preview should be the default.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Here is the place to get your OnyX app.
Screen shot 2016-02-25 at 4.03.28 PM.jpg
And to add to harryb's comment...lose the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC...this ain't Winders {sic}. Your computer has an app/program/software called Preview. It can process .pdf files like a meth head on steroids...for free.

Brent

the details are super small on the attached picture but Administrator cschag submitted the link in post #2.

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
I understand and I have quit Adobe apps before double clicking .dmg file. I am using OS 10.11.
When I click the file, Finder gets me Adobe pop-up as explained before. I don't know how to get around that.
How do I get Preview to be the default ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Preview is in your Applications Folder. Still you do not need anything to open a .dmg file. Just double click. If dobe opens uninstall it. Adobe handles .pdf and similar.

M

MacInWin

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding here. A .dmg file is a disk image, i.e., a mountable file in OS X that can be addressed as if it were an external disc. It's NOT an "image" in the sense of a picture, or photo, which is what Adobe is for. So, to get your .dmg file to open properly, all it should take is to double click on it and it should mount. However, if you have somehow associated all .dmg files with Adobe, then when you double-click, Adobe will launch and give the error message. To stop that from happening, right click on the .dmg file (control click) and then Get Info. In the window you will see what the default application is to open the file. It should say "DiskImageMounter" as the default. If it says anything else, click on the lock in the lower right corner, enter an admin password and then click in the block where it says "Open with" and change to DiskImageMounter. Now just under it click on "Use This Application to open all documents like this one" and from now on a double click will mount the .dmg.

If you are coming from Windows, .dmg files are like .iso files in Windows. (BTW, .iso files can also be mounted with a double click in OS X)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When I click the file, Finder gets me Adobe pop-up as explained before. I don't know how to get around that.
How do I get Preview to be the default ?

You DO NOT want Adobe or Preview to be the default for opening DMG files. Somehow you accidentally set Adobe to open DMG files and you need to change that. Do this: Right click on the DMG file, select Open With, and follow Jake's instructions above.

(Doggone.... Jake beat me to it again!) :'(

OP
S
Reaction score
;1702804 said:
You DO NOT want Adobe or Preview to be the default for opening DMG files. Somehow you accidentally set Adobe to open DMG files and you need to change that. Do this: Right click on the DMG file, select Open With, and follow Jake's instructions above.

(Doggone.... Jake beat me to it again!) :'(

Right clicking did it.
Please excuse my ignorance. "right click" went totally over my head.
I'm an old guy and pretty much computer dumb and this is the first forum I've tried so I wasn't even aware of the protocol.

Thanks everyone for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem Stephen, there are plenty of "old guys" who frequent our forums. From one old guy to another, stick around and remember we are never too old to learn. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.