PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading video card

Rod Sprague
02-18-2016, 07:14 AM
I have a MBP that I would like to be able to play some of the graphically intensive games currently available in the App Store.
The Specs are as below. Is it practical to attempt this? I would also like to increase RAM to 8Gb and install a 512Gb SSD to replace my flagging HDD. I suppose what I'm wondering is even if I go to all that expense will the processor handle it? Or am I better off considering a brand new MBP Retina 13 inch. This will be my primary computer for the next 4-5 years so age comes into it as well.

chscag
02-18-2016, 05:55 PM
Not sure I understand your title Rod? You know you can't upgrade the video graphics chipset in that machine, or did you mean something else? Anyway, a new rMBP would probably be a better choice but you might want to wait a bit and see if Apple updates the rMBP line of machines. The 13" rMBP was updated last March and the 15" model last May. The Mac Buyers Guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Retina_MacBook_Pro) says don't buy now. ;)

Rod Sprague
02-18-2016, 07:22 PM
chacag, you understood me just fine and no, I DID NOT know that the chipset could not be upgraded. I am wholly a software person and there are many mechanical aspects of the mac I do not understand fully, obviously this being one of them. I did read the article you linked, very interesting, I think I might wait a while as suggested. Thank you very much for putting me straight and the info from the Mac Buyers Guide.:Blushing: