Ethernet recognition of Windows on Macbook

Reaction score
I have identified some instruments which can deliver data via ethernet but only to a PC. Probably Excel based results.
I have looked up about running WIN on a MAC through things like Bootcamp, but if I do that can anyone tell me whether (or how) ethernet based instruments which recognise only a PC could connect to my MAC with WIN installed?
Richard

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Whenever you run Windows on a Mac in a dual boot enviornment (Boot Camp), your Mac becomes a Windows machine when booted to Windows. There should be no problem with an ethernet connection while Windows is running on your Mac. Just keep in mind that when you're booted to Windows you will need to make sure you have anti virus software installed. Since you did not mention which Mac you have, you will need to determine what version of Windows your Mac can run. Newer Macs (2012 and later) are restricted to only being able to run a specific version of Windows. For example, a new 2015 Mac can only run Windows 10.

OP
E
Reaction score
Anti virus is a very good point, Chscag, thank you for that. I already have a Symantec licence for my old PC.
It is a Macbook early 2009, but I am thinking that the cost of the WIN licence might be the killer for my budget versus needs.
At least you have indicated that my application might be feasible. I cannot understand why the several companies which manufacture the instruments do so soley for WIN PC's. Clearly a hole in the market somewhere.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.