Boot Camp problem.. Boots to wrong Disk

Reaction score
2011 Imac.
Drive #1-El Capitan
Drive #2-Win 8 (Bootcamp)

Driver #3-My problem.
A clone of El Capitan is taking up half this drive. It was cloned using Carbon Copy Cloner and it boots.
A clone of Win 8 is taking up the other half of the drive. It was cloned using WinClone and according to the Start Up Options screen, its bootable.
The drive is partitioned using BootCamp Assistant.

When I select BootCamp on Drive #3 in Start Up Options and hit restart, it boots Win 8 on Disk #2.
The same happens when I try to do it using BootCamp Control Panel in Win 8.
The same happens when I use the Boot Menu by holding Opt. Key at startup.

I simply want to boot into the new clone of Win 8 on Drive #3 to verify that it is functioning correctly before I remove Drive #2 from the Imac. (because its a process)
Why is this happening and can someone offer the solution?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved your post here to this forum: "Running Windows..........."

I don't believe you can boot to the second copy of Win 8 as long as the first copy is bootable and remains in place. You might be able to do it that way by using boot menu software such as rEFIt or others, however, I'm not sure if even that would work. Also, I suspect if you remove Win 8 #2 and then attempt to boot to Win 8 #3, you may get a black screen. Both Win 8 boot sectors are the same and it's only the first one which will be recognized.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And please do not double post. We moved your post here to the correct forum, no need to re-post it as the Staff will move threads that are in the wrong forum. Your dupe post was removed.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.