unable to print in colour

Reaction score
I have a new hp desk jet 3630 which I set up with my macbook (running el capitan) by downloading the software from the hp website as instructed. During the set up I was given the option to use the hp driver for AirPrint instead of the generic apple one ,it said this would give a better result so I went with that.Now when I try to print anything,either a webpage or a photo,I am not getting the option to colour print,only black and white on the drop down list. I have no problem with printing in colour from my iPhone or iPad,works perfectly. I wanted to try to uninstall the software and start again ,trying the apple driver, but there seems to be no uninstaller with this ,do you think I can uninstall in the usual way? Or is there a way round this, do I need to use AirPrint?
Thanks in advance

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is no option to "select" print in color because it should print in color by default unless you select the option to print in black and white.

Last edited:
OP
V
Reaction score
Yes but it won't print anything else but black and white. It seems to be the default and there is no way to change it. There is no other option. I know it "should" print in colour by default! My old printer did and my iPhone does. I need to know why and how to fix it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Remove the HP using System Preferences, Printers & Scanners. Then install it again as a new printer but this time use the Apple provided driver (which by the way you should always use). Also if you make Time Machine backups you can always revert to before you installed the HP driver.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll do that. Just one question, should I redownload the software from hp or can I install the printer without it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You should be able to re-install the printer without having to download anything from HP. The driver for your printer is built into OS X and should automatically be installed along with the printer. It appears the driver you downloaded from HP is not entirely compatible with El Capitan.

OP
V
Reaction score
This worked! Thanks again, and I have to say I also asked the question on the hp help forum and was given a long list of things to do including resetting the whole print system and disk permissions,none of which were needed! They wanted me to use their driver which seemed a bit pointless as it didn't work in the first place. Your solution much appreciated.:D

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Many printer models seem to have lousy Mac support these days. Some days I wish I still had my old StyleWriter.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've harped on this before. Printer manufacturers focus their attention and support on Windows users leaving Mac owners to go after the left overs. I suppose it's not fair to categorize every printer manufacturer in that light but you and I know who the biggest offenders are. Just read through this thread. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.