PDA

View Full Version : How to Order

kennyleri
01-27-2016, 08:00 AM
Not sure if this is the spot for this so sorry if wrong.

If you were having a mac bto what is the preferred method of delivery, a apple store or home delivery?

Thanks
Kenny

pigoo3
01-27-2016, 10:21 AM
If you were having a mac bto what is the preferred method of delivery, a apple store or home delivery?

I think that it depends on what's more convenient for you. And without knowing more details regarding your situation…it's sort of hard to say which one is a better choice for you.

It's kind of like asking us what your favorite flavor of ice cream is…without having any idea what your likes & dislikes are.;)

- Nick

kennyleri
01-27-2016, 10:39 AM
Nick, Was wondering if it was safer and less prone to being damaged knowing it was going to a apple store instead of home delivery. Convenience wasn't my issue as much as the previous line. I'm about 1 hr from real apple store and not concerned about driving their. After reading around the web about some of the problems folks have had with home delivery's and wondering if the store was a preferred option.

Thanks,
Kenny

pigoo3
01-27-2016, 10:52 AM
When it comes to damage it really doesn't matter either way. If it arrives damaged…then you return it & get another. That's why in my mind...convenience is the main factor.

As far as what you read…do you really think 100% of all home delivered computers go undamaged?? Of course not…accidents happen. But if 99.9% of all home delivered computers arrive undamaged…isn't that a "horse of a different color".;)

- Nick

pigoo3
01-27-2016, 11:32 AM
By the way. I TOTALLY understand that you just want to get your new computer (excited)…and it not be damaged.:)

Don't let stuff read on the internet keep you from making the most logical decision. There's probably not a topic known to mankind that can't be found on the internet…with pros & cons written about it.

Make the most logical & convenient decision that works for you!:)

- Nick

RadDave
01-27-2016, 11:49 AM
Nick, Was wondering if it was safer and less prone to being damaged knowing it was going to a apple store instead of home delivery. Convenience wasn't my issue as much as the previous line. I'm about 1 hr from real apple store and not concerned about driving their. After reading around the web about some of the problems folks have had with home delivery's and wondering if the store was a preferred option.

Hi Kenny - agree w/ Nick, i.e. your call. I've ordered my MBPro and two iPads from Apple online w/ prompt delivery and no damage - their products are well packaged; in fact, we have an iPad Mini 4 on the way for my wife (updating her original Mini the other night was a pain compared to her iPhone & my iPad Air 2); now we have a Simply Mac store in our local mall, a 10 min drive (the closest Apple store is 40 mins away) and I ordered our iMac (w/ a RAM upgrade) there but would have been perfectly comfortable w/ an online order. Over the years, I've ordered a lot of AV electronics from Crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Dut9HW0kJrP/) in Virginia - all came well packaged and undamaged. SO, do what you feel is most convenient for you. Dave :)

chas_m
01-27-2016, 01:10 PM
The primary difference here is that if a box arrives OBVIOUSLY damaged in transit, the store staff will inspect and return for you of course.

I once worked at a store that received a Mac Pro box with clear forklift holes going clean through it. :)

Damage to packages that are severe enough to have affected the machine are EXTREMELY rare, so really this is a non-issue and not worth the thought that's been put into it. Your odds of getting such a severely-damaged package are akin to winning the lottery on your birthday. Apple's stuff is extremely well-packaged. Just do what's convenient, your odds don't improve or lessen by dint of a different destination.

Sawday
01-27-2016, 01:49 PM
Do you want a courier to deliver a plain brown box to your house or do you want to walk out of that Apple store with a shiny box that says "Hey guys look what I've just bought - arn't I cool" taking the long route through the mall to your car, maybe having a stop for coffee ("Would you mind if I put my shiny new mac right here while I drink my coffee? Yes, it looks great doesn't it and it's all mine!") before slowly taking that box out of the car allowing the neighbours to see before you get it through the door. No contest!!

toMACsh
01-27-2016, 02:01 PM
Well, I'm only about 15 min. from an Apple Store, so I'm picking up my new Mini in less than 72 hours from now, when I have time. Then I'll have it. If ordering for home delivery, I could have done that two days ago when the time was finally ripe, and I'd have it already - if I paid for overnight, or by tomorrow maybe with ground shipping. But, I think I prefer to go to the store anyway.

pigoo3
01-27-2016, 02:47 PM
Well, I'm only about 15 min. from an Apple Store,

But, I think I prefer to go to the store anyway.

I agree…if only 15 minutes away (which I am as well…maybe even 10 minutes)…I also would just go to the Apple Store.:)

OP is 60 minutes away (2 hours round trip). Different situation.:)

- Nick

chas_m
01-27-2016, 02:51 PM
There is also the problem of walking into and out of an Apple Store with ONLY the thing you ordered and not anything else ... :)

chscag
01-27-2016, 03:04 PM
I agree…if only 15 minutes away (which I am as well…maybe even 10 minutes)…I also would just go to the Apple Store.

Our local Apple Store likewise is about 15 minutes away. However, it takes another 15 minutes once I get there to find a parking spot since the store is in a large Town Shopping Center. The one good thing is at least the parking is free. But if you're lugging an iMac or Mac Pro from your car to the store to take it to the genius bar, it's no fun.

Sawday
01-27-2016, 03:21 PM
I agree…if only 15 minutes away (which I am as well…maybe even 10 minutes)…I also would just go to the Apple Store.:)

OP is 60 minutes away (2 hours round trip). Different situation.:)

- Nick

60 minutes. I would LOVE to be 60 minutes away. One of the hardships one has to endure living in God's Own County I suppose. (That's Yorkshire, BTW)

pigoo3
01-27-2016, 03:44 PM
Do you want a courier to deliver a plain brown box to your house or do you want to walk out of that Apple store with a shiny box that says "Hey guys look what I've just bought - arn't I cool" taking the long route through the mall to your car, maybe having a stop for coffee ("Would you mind if I put my shiny new mac right here while I drink my coffee? Yes, it looks great doesn't it and it's all mine!") before slowly taking that box out of the car allowing the neighbours to see before you get it through the door. No contest!!

60 minutes. I would LOVE to be 60 minutes away. One of the hardships one has to endure living in God's Own County I suppose. (That's Yorkshire, BTW)

I'm going to tie these two thoughts together.:) I could be wrong…but I'm going to guess that you're not a "city-person" (which is perfectly ok…I grew up in a VERY rural area myself).:) Not sure if you live in York or outside of York, UK.

I do understand the "fun perspective" you were probably thinking from in the first quote above (so don't get me wrong with what I'm about to say).;)

But all that visibility of "Hey look at what I just bought at the Apple Store." Can be dangerous as well in many larger urban areas. Strolling out of the local Apple Store/Shopping Mall with a $1500-$2000 brand new Apple computer (says it right on the box)…then getting coffee…then walking thru a large shopping center parking lot to your car…puts a VERY large bullseye on you (especially amongst a very materialistic crowd in a busy shopping mall area).

A BIG target for would-be opportunists to either "jack you up" right in the parking lot & steal that nice new Apple computer from you (which Applecare doesn't cover)!;) Or maybe they follow you all the way to your home…and steal that computer from you right in front of your own house...or somewhere along the way in a very quite part of the roadway between the Apple Store & home.

Yes…very likely a rare sort of event. But I'm sure it has happened. My strategy if picking up the computer at the Apple Store would be. Purchase the computer…and make a bee line straight to the car…making myself (and my shiny new computer) as "invisible" as possible. And…maybe checking my rear view mirror a couple times on the way home!!!;)

- Nick

pigoo3
01-27-2016, 03:58 PM

Yes I know. Many folks do live pretty far away from their nearest Apple Store.:( So those of us who do live near one are certainly spoiled.;)

Heck…there are some countries around the world that have no Apple Store at all!:( There are even 6 states in the US with no Apple Store (Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming).

In some cases…home delivery is the only real option (which really isn't terrible).:)

- Nick

p.s. Back in 1993 I took a trip to San Francisco, California (longggg before there were any Apple Stores). And I made a visit to the ONLY Apple Store at the time…the Apple company store in Cupertino. That was a really cool experience (at the time). MUCH better than visiting other stores in 1993 that carried Apple products…and relegated them to the dusty, dark, and unorganized red-headed stepchild rear area of the store!!!:(

harryb2448
01-27-2016, 04:11 PM
I always get home delivered after ordering through Apple Online, as it is too far to go to a Reseller and their service is lousy as they would rather one walk out with a HP which they also sell.. reforms come in a plain white box and new machines have always come in the original box.

verdi1901
01-27-2016, 11:53 PM
I live 15mins walk from an Apple Store, but still use home delivery!

harryb2448
01-28-2016, 12:40 AM
lol if I lived 15 minutes walk from an Apple Store I would include it in my daily exercise!

kennyleri
01-28-2016, 09:41 AM
Thanks to all for their insight on this matter. Never had a pc delivered to home but I get the point here.
Thanks Again
Kenny

pigoo3
01-28-2016, 11:51 AM
Thanks to all for their insight on this matter. Never had a pc delivered to home but I get the point here.

Just in case this wasn't mentioned yet. The one down side to Apple Home Delivery (if you want to call it a downside)…is Apple usually requires you sign for the package/computer (which of course is a very prudent thing). This can be a hassle for folks that work during the day…but usually less of an issue if someone is retired or works from home.

This is part of the convenience aspect to the two delivery choices (Apple Store or home delivery) I was addressing earlier in the thread. The downside to the Apple Store is if it's a long distance to drive. The downside to home delivery is needing to sign for it (which is really a plus)…but can be an inconvenience depending on someone's options.

For what it's worth I've had MANY electronic's purchases delivered to my home (printers, computers: new & used, monitors: large & small, expensive camera's, etc.).

Good luck…and please let us know how the delivery process goes & how the first experience's are with the new computer.:)

- Nick

toMACsh
01-28-2016, 01:52 PM
Another big downside to home delivery is that your expensive purchase sits outside until you get home. It has become a popular crime to steal such unwatched packages.

pigoo3
01-28-2016, 02:02 PM
Another big downside to home delivery is that your expensive purchase sits outside until you get home. It has become a popular crime to steal such unwatched packages.

Usually Apple requires a signature for home delivery. Unless other arrangements with Fed Ex have been made to get around this.

Totally agree.:) Worst case scenario…don't want a brand new expensive computer sitting in the open (possibility visible to neighbors, strangers driving/walking by, exposed to the weather, etc.).

- Nick

RadDave
01-28-2016, 02:16 PM
Usually Apple requires a signature for home delivery. Unless other arrangements with Fed Ex have been made to get around this.

Totally agree.:) Worst case scenario…don't want a brand new expensive computer sitting in the open (possibility visible to neighbors, strangers driving/walking by, exposed to the weather, etc.).

- Nick

Just bought my wife a new iPad Mini 4 which arrived yesterday and required a signature - but a lot easier in my retirement; I'm a wine drinker and now order more wine online which of course requires a signature on delivery - an ideal package to pilfer off a front porch if left in the open - ;) Dave

pigoo3
01-28-2016, 02:28 PM
Just bought my wife a new iPad Mini 4 which arrived yesterday and required a signature - but a lot easier in my retirement;

Thanks for confirming Dave.:)

...an ideal package to pilfer off a front porch if left in the open -

I hear ya. I've lived (I'm guessing you have too) in a bunch of different places (home styles). Some were definitely more/less secure/visible than others for packages sitting on the doorstep.

Worst case scenario…definitely no place for a brand new 27" iMac to be sitting by itself!!!;)

- Nick

kennyleri
01-29-2016, 10:08 AM
Being retired now waiting for a home delivery won't be a problem and after listening to the comments this will be the more logical choice for myself. When I decide to take the plunge I will let everyone know. Have been waiting to see if Apple will be coming out with a more up to date hardware features with stock mac's instead of having to go with a cto. I realize there is no crystal ball and I can be chasing the proverbial carrot for a long time on this issue. I just seem to always get caught behind the 8 ball!
Kenny