PDA

View Full Version : How do I get MacForums on my iPhone looking like on my iPad?

Demapples
01-20-2016, 07:20 PM
i want to view the forums on my iPhone like on my iPad or iMac. The iPhone view is too limited.

chscag
01-20-2016, 09:05 PM
i want to view the forums on my iPhone like on my iPad or iMac. The iPhone view is too limited.

Are you using the free Mac-Forums iOS app? Or are you trying to view our forums just using Safari on your iPhone?

Demapples
01-21-2016, 06:32 AM
Safari. Easier than having different apps for different websites.

Rod Sprague
01-21-2016, 07:58 AM
It is simply a question of size. There is not enough realestate to display the website content in a way that you could interact with it. As it is you have to rotate the phone to landscape view to see the forum topic menu.

dbm
01-21-2016, 08:33 AM
Press and hold the 'refresh' icon at the right hand of the address bar. A button will appear saying 'request desktop site'. Click that and you are sorted.

Rod Sprague
01-21-2016, 09:22 AM
Wow, well done dbm I didn't realise you could do that myself. We live and learn. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

dbm
01-21-2016, 09:31 AM
It was introduced in iOS 8 but they changed how you do it in 9 for some reason!

chscag
01-21-2016, 02:31 PM
Safari. Easier than having different apps for different websites.

You've already received several good suggestions. However, the Mac-Forums app makes it very easy to read and reply to threads on our forums. You should at least give it a try since it's free. If you don't like it, remove it and continue to use Safari.

virtualtechie18
01-23-2016, 08:59 PM
i have found if your phone is jail broken then these types of ui issues happen often

chscag
01-23-2016, 09:30 PM
i have found if your phone is jail broken then these types of ui issues happen often

When you jail break your iPhone, you not only risk problems, but also malware. So be careful.

Demapples
01-23-2016, 11:14 PM
Press and hold the 'refresh' icon at the right hand of the address bar. A button will appear saying 'request desktop site'. Click that and you are sorted.
That's what I needed. Much prefer full websites usually, rather than the versions optimized for phones.

chscag
01-23-2016, 11:25 PM
Wow, well done dbm I didn't realise you could do that myself. We live and learn. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

On the iPhone with some sites, it makes the viewing worse. I've tested it on several forum sites that I belong to with my iPhone 6+ and I would need a magnifying glass to make out the threads. That method might work OK on an iPad but it is unsatisfactory for most forum viewing on an iPhone. Our Mac-Forums app makes it easy to view and navigate our forums. There is also Tapa-Talk which supposedly works on all forums but it has lousy reviews.