Can't open Excel file on iMac

Reaction score
I'm receiving an error message stating that "The file or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file" when I try to open an Excel file that I've opened numerous times in the past.

I've tried changing the file extension, both in the file itself and through "Get Info." No luck.

I've run Disk Utility. No luck.

I've tried changing the name of the file. No luck.

When I try to open any other Excel file on my computer, the file opens without problem, although the above error message flashes for a very brief moment.

Any suggestions?

I have an iMac 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7 running OS X Yosemite 10.10.5. Excel version is Mac 2011 v14.6.0.

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First... are you running any kind of Anti-Virus program or Mac cleaner? Both are known to cause the problem you're experiencing. If not, then it may be that the Excel file has become corrupt, however, it's a bit worrisome that you're briefly getting an error message each time you try to open an Excel file.

OP
M
Reaction score
No antivirus program running.

If the file is corrupt, is there a way to fix it?

Yes, the brief error message is worrisome. Any suggestions?

One additional note: the file is listed as "Office Spreadsheet" under Kind in the Finder. But, other Excel files with this designation still open without a problem.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Any suggestions?

Just so we know. Do you have a backup copy of this file?

Does this file open properly on a Windows computer (with Excel installed)?

Was this file created on your Mac computer with your copy of Excel?

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, I do have a backup of this file, but it's on a flashdrive not with me at present.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, the brief error message is worrisome. Any suggestions?

The only suggestion I have may require some work on your part, and that is to reinstall Office 2011. That can be a real pain since the entire suite has to be reinstalled not just Excel. If you decide to go that route, use these uninstall - reinstall instructions from Microsoft. But before you do, make sure you have a good Time Machine backup or clone backup on hand. And also make sure you have your original disk and serial number as you will have to activate the suite again. The uninstall and reinstall will not remove your documents or special templates you might have but backing up as I stated above is a good idea.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks. If I don't find a better solution, I'll try the reinstall suggestion.

Any way to fix a corrupt Excel file?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Yes, start over. ;) I know... not a good solution but when a file is corrupt whether it be an Excel sheet or Word document, the only viable solution is to start over with a new file.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks. If I don't find a better solution, I'll try the reinstall suggestion.

Don't forget about your backup file on USB. Maybe you'll have success with it.:)

Kind of like throwing a baseball thru a glass window. Or "Humpty Dumpty".;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.