PDA

View Full Version : Threat to remove headphone jack from future iPhone models

Alwyn
01-14-2016, 08:03 AM
As many of you will know there is a petition which has to date been signed by >248 thousand people asking Apple not to remove the headphone jack from future iPhone models. It is possible that wired headphone/earphones will become obsolete as the mini-jack wires don't last forever. The worry is of course that Apple will only allow users to use their own products.

I can't see any discussion about this in the forum but would be interested to hear people's views.

dtravis7
01-14-2016, 08:07 AM
I hear you will have a choice between LIGHTNING® headphones and BlueTeeth ones :D

RadDave
01-14-2016, 12:01 PM
As many of you will know there is a petition which has to date been signed by >248 thousand people asking Apple not to remove the headphone jack from future iPhone models. It is possible that wired headphone/earphones will become obsolete as the mini-jack wires don't last forever. The worry is of course that Apple will only allow users to use their own products.

I can't see any discussion about this in the forum but would be interested to hear people's views.

Well, as Apple iDevices become thinner, there will not be sufficient space for the 3.5 mm mini-stereo jack - this has been discussed for a number of months - brief quote below from Mac-Rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2015/11/27/iphone-7-no-3-5mm-headphone-jack-lightning/) - I’m not sure that a petition will sway Apple and its engineers if their goal is to make a thinner device, but don’t know?

For 3-4 years, I’ve been listening to the music on my iDevices (old iPod and 2 iPads) using Bluetooth headphones or speakers (a couple of small travel ones and several soundbars in the home) - the freedom of being untethered by a cable is great IMO! Also, phones or ear buds w/ lightning connectors will be developed by Apple and third party producers - possibly, even a clunky adapter w/ a mini-stereo plug on one end the the lightning on the other?

Finally, keep in mind that this forum has no official connection to Apple, so what is discussed here will not affect their corporate policy, just saying. Dave :)

Apple is planning to remove the 3.5mm headphone jack on the next-generation iPhone in favor of an all-in-one Lightning connector, according to often-reliable Japanese website Mac Otakara. Apple may also release Lightning-equipped EarPods to support the new audio output on future iOS devices.

cwa107
01-14-2016, 12:07 PM
I'm sure this won't dissuade a certain subset of Apple's consumer base.... the very same ones who will ridicule any concerns by telling us all about the other mainstay mechanisms and ports that Apple has discontinued in the past. And I'll be interested to see how the rabid fanboys who troll this forum respond to my opinion on this matter, so here goes...

Personally, I have invested in several sets of headphones that I like quite a bit and I have no intention of replacing them just because Tim Cook wants to sell me a pair of Beats to justify his absurd acquisition. I also like having the flexibility of moving those headphones between various devices. If Apple removes the headphone jack (regardless of how it's justified), it will be the last Apple mobile device I purchase. And that's really a shame as I am heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem, but at some point, you have to take a stand.

I have written off a new MacBook based on some of the bone-headed moves they've pulled in computer hardware in recent years. I guess this will be the latest *******ization of what was once a great product lineup.

pigoo3
01-14-2016, 12:19 PM

I can definitely see the inconvenience for the folks preferring to use wired headphones. But Apple has always been a cutting edge or "change" type of company (many times first to introduce new technologies or first to eliminate older entrenched technologies).

Apple has certainly made a lot of moves over the years that have definitely cost me (and others) a bunch of $$$ to stay "modern" the "Apple-way". This could be another one of those moves.

One of my favorite examples to poke fun at "the other guys". Is when was the last time we saw a VGA port on an Apple laptop??;) I know VGA ports can be very useful in certain situations. Just sayin.;)

If Apple didn't make bold moves like this (not always popular)…we might still be living in a "1999 World" from certain technology perspectives.;)

- Nick

pigoo3
01-14-2016, 12:27 PM
Personally, I have invested in several sets of headphones that I like quite a bit and I have no intention of replacing them just because Tim Cook wants to sell me a pair of Beats to justify his absurd acquisition.

Great reminder Chris! I forgot about the Beats acquisition. I can definitely see the "Apple Wheels Turning" behind the elimination of the headphone jack on iPhones & owning Beats.

- Nick

chas_m
01-14-2016, 04:29 PM
Let's dispel a few bits of misinformation here:

1. This isn't confirmed. It's a rumor. I admit I think it's likely, but it is NOT ACTUALLY HAPPENING YET.

2. Third-party companies already make Lightning -- and Bluetooth -- headphones. So this is not a "force everyone to buy Beats" thing, it's a thinness and/or higher audio quality thing. There are some identifiable advantages to keeping digital music all-digital, and this could pave the way for mainstream support of "hi-rez" audio (man I hate that marketing term).

3. Scroll down to the part about headphones: http://www.macnn.com/articles/16/01/10/we.took.a.few.hours.on.saturday.to.ask.apple.shopp ers.what.they.thought.131986/

4. If Apple decides to do this, I would be annoyed as I use that jack to connect the iPhone to my (admittedly ancient) car stereo system (which lacks an Aux In port -- I have to use a cassette adapter!). But I could just switch to BT for that -- I use mostly BT headphones, so apart from the car I really don't use the jack at all. An adapter from Lightning to analog would likely be quite small -- less bulky than, for example, the 3.5mm to quarter-inch adapter everyone here has used at some point in their lives.

5. As mentioned above, plugs change sometimes. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth when 3.5mm came out and suddenly all those quarter-inch headphones were useless without an adapter. It happens from time to time, and it's annoying when it does -- but generally the rationale is sound enough that we go along with it. We survived it last time, we'll survive it this time. The sky, she is still not falling. I'll keep an open mind about it until I hear Apple's explanation for why (if it does it at all, again just rumour at this point).

MacInWin
01-14-2016, 05:18 PM
I'm not a conspiracy theorist so I don't see anything nefarious in the change, if it's made. Technology moves on. Apple came out with a laptop with ONLY USB-C and within weeks there were third party adapters to allow multiple USB-C connections, USB-3 connections, etc. So if Apple goes to a Lightening connection, either they or a good third party will have a Lightening/3.5mm connector within days. Personally I don't see the crazy rush to thinness as particularly desirable. Remember the bend-gate episode? As the phones get thinner, will they be able to keep them strong? I suspect the engineering is not so much about thinness as it is battery size. That's the biggest key to phone usability, so being able to have even that little bit of space where the socket is for battery space is a desirable, as long as they do provide some mechanism for the legacy earphones. And frankly, fewer than 250,000 signatures is pretty pathetic given how many iPhones exist. 248,000,000 might get some attention, but not 248,000.

pigoo3
01-14-2016, 05:37 PM
Personally I don't see the crazy rush to thinness as particularly desirable. Remember the bend-gate episode? As the phones get thinner, will they be able to keep them strong?

One of my first thoughts as well. iPhones are reasonably thin at the moment…so maybe more cons than pros to a thinner phone.

Getting thinner & lighter are the "sexy" things to do with many electronics at the moment (phones, tablets, notebooks, etc.). And maybe companies will do whatever they can to achieve this…in the constant one-upmanship that is the electronics industry.

- Nick

harryb2448
01-14-2016, 06:35 PM
I am still bitter Apple removed the floppy drive from the Bondi Blue iMac in 1998! Things change so don't worry Alwyn it is only a minor matter.

pigoo3
01-14-2016, 06:43 PM
I am still bitter Apple removed the floppy drive from the Bondi Blue iMac in 1998!

Yes you are!!!;)

I'm still bitter when Apple got rid of Apple-Talk!!!;)

- Nick

chas_m
01-14-2016, 07:26 PM
Ah you young johnny-com-latelys! APPLE BASIC 4 EVER!!

(also still bitter about podcasting tools being removed from Garageband, but again I'll survive)

chscag
01-14-2016, 09:01 PM

You can read all about the iPhone 7 being thinner and the headphone jack removed here (http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-7-may-feature-thinner-waterproof-body-with-no-headphone-jack-and-wireless-charging.1949132/).

dtravis7
01-15-2016, 02:28 AM
I am still bitter Apple removed the floppy drive from the Bondi Blue iMac in 1998! Things change so don't worry Alwyn it is only a minor matter.

A friend of mine and I were at Frys electronics in Sunnyvale California the weekend the Bondi Blue iMac came out. I heard 100's of people all griping about no Floppy. My friend and I agreed in that case it was a good idea as Floppy disks were so unreliable anyway! With a USB flash drive like we have today, who needs the floppy! :D

Rod Sprague
01-15-2016, 07:58 AM
I was forced to buy an Apple External Floppy Drive for my Bondi Blue iMac in 1998 and I remember being a bit miffed that it only came in grey and white (no blue).
Personally I have all Bluetooth Speakers now except my Harmon Kardan home stereo for which I purchased this.

A plug in Bluetooth Audio receiver.

RadDave
01-15-2016, 12:50 PM
A friend of mine and I were at Frys electronics in Sunnyvale California the weekend the Bondi Blue iMac came out. I heard 100's of people all griping about no Floppy. My friend and I agreed in that case it was a good idea as Floppy disks were so unreliable anyway! With a USB flash drive like we have today, who needs the floppy! :D

Yep, I was thrilled w/ the appearance of the first flash drives - quote from Wiki below - the year 2000 - purchased my first one online shortly after that time - as I recall, probably 32 MB and likely paid about $60 (cannot remember) - BUT, the equivalent of over 20 1.44 MB floppies at the time! Dave :)

Trek Technology and IBM began selling the first USB flash drives commercially in 2000. Trek Technology sold a model under the brand name "ThumbDrive", and IBM marketed the first such drives in North America with its product named the "DiskOnKey", which was developed and manufactured by M-Systems.[21] IBM's USB flash drive became available on December 15, 2000,[22] and had a storage capacity of 8 MB, more than five times the capacity of the then-common floppy disks.

pigoo3
01-15-2016, 01:07 PM
It's absolutely mind-blowing the advancements in storage technology over the years. Currently micro-SD cards (the size of a small fingernail) are available that can store 256gig of data. And I'm sure there are 512gig micro-SD cards on the way. As well as other micro/nano sized high-capacity storage devices in development.:)

- Nick

p.s. I'm sure if I revisited this post in 1-2 years or more…what I just said would be laughable/obsolete!;)

chas_m
01-15-2016, 04:14 PM
If Bluetooth hadn't significantly improved a few years ago I would be much more "upset" about this potential change than I am now. Bluetooth 4.x is the bomb.

harryb2448
01-15-2016, 04:23 PM
As you can see Alwyn technology advances and we have to live with it and enjoy the benefits.

chas_m
01-15-2016, 09:15 PM
Could just be me, but the fewer wires the better is my general view. :)

RadDave
01-16-2016, 06:53 PM
Yep, I was thrilled w/ the appearance of the first flash drives - quote from Wiki below - the year 2000 - purchased my first one online shortly after that time - as I recall, probably 32 MB and likely paid about $60 (cannot remember) - BUT, the equivalent of over 20 1.44 MB floppies at the time! Dave :)

It's absolutely mind-blowing the advancements in storage technology over the years. Currently micro-SD cards (the size of a small fingernail) are available that can store 256gig of data. And I'm sure there are 512gig micro-SD cards on the way. As well as other micro/nano sized high-capacity storage devices in development.:)

Yep, my second computer was a MS DOS-PC w/ our first HD (replaced an Apple II+ probably about 1984) - had the astounding capacity of 20 MB - LOL now! Dave :)

Rod Sprague
01-16-2016, 09:30 PM
I agree chas, Bluetooth 4x. is great. On the flash storage subject, someone asked me a while back, "I wonder why they call these things Thumb Drives"?
He was holding a 32Gb SanDisk USB drive more like the size of his thumb nail.

vansmith
01-16-2016, 09:55 PM
Well, as Apple iDevices become thinner, there will not be sufficient space for the 3.5 mm mini-stereo jack...This is the interesting bit - why does the next iPhone need to be so thin that ports have to be cut? Is that really necessary? Granted, this is assuming that the removal is only for this reason.

chas_m
01-16-2016, 10:14 PM
That is probably NOT why the headphone jack is on the chopping block. It seems much more likely to me that the actual reason is much more to do with not doing DAC. Digital headphones can do a lot of things analog ones cannot do, starting with higher-quality audio.

RadDave
01-16-2016, 10:18 PM
This is the interesting bit - why does the next iPhone need to be so thin that ports have to be cut? Is that really necessary? Granted, this is assuming that the removal is only for this reason.

Well, not sure how thin Apple wants to go, but a consideration? The other issue is the depth and the volume of space occupied by this connector, i.e. more area to put a larger battery and/or other components, I guess? Dave :)

Slydude
01-16-2016, 10:19 PM
Removing that jack might result in a thinner iPhone. That's the reason that may grab headlines for most users. It occurs to me though that the other/better reason is that it is one less thing to build in electronically. If you are building a lightning connection for charging and bluetooth for connectivity to all sorts of things, there's not much need for that 3.5 mm jack except for the fact that users already have gear that uses it.

vansmith
01-17-2016, 12:25 PM
there's not much need for that 3.5 mm jack except for the fact that users already have gear that uses it.Except for when the port breaks. The problem with having everything go through one port is not only wear and tear (which I imagine is probably rather negligible though) but, should the port die, you can't use any external peripherals that are hard-wired. It would also prevent doing something like charging and using headphones at the same time.

Slydude
01-17-2016, 02:04 PM
I personally like having the 3.5 mm jack present. At the moment I have at least 3 headsets that work with that jack. Only one works via Bluetooth. Only one of my headsets is Bluetooth capable. I suspect the decision to remove the jack or not will be driven in part by how badly they want to keep the entire music signal digital.

As Bluetooth impress I'm gradually shifting to that due to convenience. I'm constantly getting tangled in the wires and that's getting old.

TBCapen
01-21-2016, 02:00 PM
I listen to audible books on my iPhone and light earbuds almost every day, walking the dogs, working on home projects, and/or at the gym. My only complaint about removing the jack is that I'll have one more thing to remember to keep charged -- and I assume that the wireless headphones will be a bit heavier, due to the rechargeable batteries.

pigoo3
01-21-2016, 02:07 PM
My only complaint about removing the jack is that I'll have one more thing to remember to keep charged --

Yes…it's getting kind of crazy keeping track of the number of things we need to remember to keep charged on an almost daily basis!

- Nick

RadDave
01-21-2016, 10:52 PM
I listen to audible books on my iPhone and light earbuds almost every day, walking the dogs, working on home projects, and/or at the gym. My only complaint about removing the jack is that I'll have one more thing to remember to keep charged -- and I assume that the wireless headphones will be a bit heavier, due to the rechargeable batteries.

Well, I've use the BT Rockfish headphones below on an old iPod Touch and iPad 2 (2011), and now on my newer iPad Air 2 - about $60 and quite comfortable; BT earbuds are obviously available; switching to BT options requires not only the power, thus periodic charging but also the issue of pairing (an easy procedure); BUT, once you've been 'un-teathered' from your device, the feeling is one of freedom (and w/ less risk of dropping your device, like on a treadmill in a fitness center). SO, buy some inexpensive BT earbuds and let us know your experience. Dave :)

Rod Sprague
01-22-2016, 12:40 AM
TBCapen, I know what you mean about the batteries, it's getting ridiculous the number of devices that require an independent power source and I am running out of power points for the chargers required for all the rest.

pigoo3
01-22-2016, 01:15 AM
TBCapen, I know what you mean about the batteries, it's getting ridiculous the number of devices that require an independent power source and I am running out of power points for the chargers required for all the rest.

Rod. Here's something I purchased recently. It's awesome & works great. Lots of similar products out there as well.:)

http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/10825989/Satechi-7-Port-USB-Charging-Station-Dock-White-e7576d61-58a8-4499-afff-040b80dd22c6_600.jpg

- Nick

Occams Razor
01-22-2016, 02:08 PM
What threat? I am quite sure there will be an adaptor made for legacy headphones or earbuds. If Apple doesn't make one, someone else will. Either you're moving forward or falling behind.

pigoo3
01-22-2016, 02:43 PM
What threat? I am quite sure there will be an adaptor made for legacy headphones or earbuds.

What if there's no port for the adapter?;) I think this is the concern.:)

- Nick

chas_m
01-22-2016, 04:28 PM

Nope, it's not. The adapter would either offer a female 3.5mm port with a male Lightning connector, or it would be small dongle that attached to the headphones to add Bluetooth to them.

pigoo3
01-22-2016, 05:02 PM
Nope, it's not. The adapter would either offer a female 3.5mm port with a male Lightning connector…

This is assuming the charging port (lightning port) could be used as an audio out port.

...or it would be small dongle that attached to the headphones to add Bluetooth to them.

Yes…thought of this after posting. Thanks for mentioning.:)

- Nick

Occams Razor
01-22-2016, 05:52 PM

- Nick

I understood the you could plug new style headsets into fire port - but maybe not. Somewhere in this forum someone mentioned sound would go from analog to digital - that is major sonic improvement.

I still think, however, that someone will produce some middleware for the legacy headsets if there is demand.

-30-

ALF Shumway
01-22-2016, 08:30 PM
What threat? I am quite sure there will be an adaptor made for legacy headphones or earbuds. If Apple doesn't make one, someone else will. Either you're moving forward or falling behind.

I'm sure Apple will make something to let people use 3.5mm headphones. Look at all the dongles they make right now: FireWire and Ethernet adapters for the Thunderbolt ports an the MBA and rMBP, USB dongles for the 12-inch MacBook and the iOS devices, just to name a few. The rumors are that they'll be doing Lightning headphones, so I think they'll do a dongle like Chas said: male Lightning and female 3.5mm headphone, hopefully with a female Lightning connector too for charging.

pixeltaker
01-22-2016, 09:07 PM
Yes you are!!!;)

I'm still bitter when Apple got rid of Apple-Talk!!!;)

- Nick

I'm still bitter than my Mac Book Pro doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, but I'll get over it by buying an external CD/DVD drive or rely on thumb drives. LOL;D

RadDave
01-22-2016, 10:11 PM
I'm still bitter than my Mac Book Pro doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, but I'll get over it by buying an external CD/DVD drive or rely on thumb drives. LOL;D

LOL! :) Boy, Apple started to kill the internal optical drive nearly 10 years ago (Source (http://www.cnet.com/news/apples-plan-to-wipe-out-disc-drives-is-nearly-complete/)), so about time to get over the bitterness - ;) I purchased an Apple Superdrive w/ my Mac computers back in early 2013, and rarely use it (except for burning some MP3 music purchased to CD-R) - the CD-R @ 700-800 MBs is useless as a storage media and even DVD-Rs at 4.7 GB (single layer) seem skimpy these days w/ the USB thumb drives or the convenient USB external HDs - NOW, I own about 6K CDs and 1.5K DVDs/BDs, so not like I'm against optical media - O:) Dave

ALF Shumway
01-22-2016, 10:25 PM

Yeah, I'll eventually (when/if I can afford to) upgrade to a 13 inch rMBP. I was going to upgrade to a non-Retina MBP because of the DVD drive, but at this point, I'm thinking it'd be best all around if I got a rMBP and an external SuperDrive. That's because otherwise I'd basically be buying a four year old computer right out of the box. I'd consider a non-Retina if they came out with a new version with a Skylake CPU and the option of a 1TB SSD, but I think they're phasing out the non-Retinas, so they probably won't.

chas_m
01-22-2016, 10:54 PM
This is assuming the charging port (lightning port) could be used as an audio out port.

No assumption about it ... there are already Lightning headphones available right now. Apple let headphone developers know about this at least a year ago (not the idea that they were REMOVING the headphone jack, but that manufacturers have the option of super-high-quality all-digital headphones using Lightning).

Here's an example of a Lightning headphone set. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V4X6QGY?ie=UTF8&tag=macnn&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00V4X6QGY)

dtravis7
01-22-2016, 11:12 PM
No assumption about it ... there are already Lightning headphones available right now. Apple let headphone developers know about this at least a year ago (not the idea that they were REMOVING the headphone jack, but that manufacturers have the option of super-high-quality all-digital headphones using Lightning).

Here's an example of a Lightning headphone set. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V4X6QGY?ie=UTF8&tag=macnn&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00V4X6QGY)

Thank you for posting that Chas. That is what I figured they would do, built in DAC in the phones.

chas_m
01-22-2016, 11:21 PM
Thank you for posting that Chas. That is what I figured they would do, built in DAC in the phones.

Sorry I don't mean to be nitpicky, but that's not what's going on there. I have some FANTASTIC headphones with DAC built in that use the headphone port: the Mo-Fi from Blue (http://blue-headphones.com/mofi.php) (best known for their mics but the headphones are wonderfully high-quality).

Lightning headphones don't need DAC because there is no conversion being done at all: it keeps the digital music file purely digital. This also allows for other kinds of processing if one wants, but most people will probably like Lightning headphones (and other "pure digital" headphones when a standard is settled on) because of the higher audio quality (Lightning headphones can handle 24-bit/192kHz audio files and higher, where analog headphones are limited to 44.1kHz/16-bit).

dtravis7
01-22-2016, 11:33 PM
The URL you provided says integrated DAC. :D Grin

Optimized Lightning connector for iOS devices
Enjoy high resolution audio on iOS devices
Integrated DAC and amp for high resolution music anywhere
Acoustically sealed to keep sound details in, noise out
Bass Reflex System delivers clear, dynamic and balanced bass

chas_m
01-23-2016, 12:10 AM
I stand corrected! :)

dtravis7
01-23-2016, 12:22 AM
I stand corrected! :)

I was shocked also but they are using a DAC in those phones with even an Amplifier! :D

urbanman2004
01-23-2016, 03:10 AM
No surprise... The same principle for how they gimped the 2013 Mac Pro is what they intend to do w/ the iPhone

gloriapattismyt
01-23-2016, 05:55 PM
One of my first thoughts as well. iPhones are reasonably thin at the moment…so maybe more cons than pros to a thinner phone.

Getting thinner & lighter are the "sexy" things to do with many electronics at the moment (phones, tablets, notebooks, etc.). And maybe companies will do whatever they can to achieve this…in the constant one-upmanship that is the electronics industry.

- Nick

It seems ridiculous to me that they keep making phones thinner when they are getting so wide I can barely get my hand around them. And IMHO no inanimate gadget will ever be sexy.

pigoo3
01-23-2016, 06:25 PM
And IMHO no inanimate gadget will ever be sexy.

Not sure if my "sexy" comment was misunderstood. What I said was making electronics thinner and lighter were "the sexy things to do" at the moment. "Sexy things to do" is the same as saying "popular & profitable" things for companies to work on at the moment. I wasn't saying cellphones/gadgets were "sexy".;)

- Nick

DogLady
01-24-2016, 06:37 PM
I have a different point of contention with Apple over such a change. I have a business and use a reader to accept credit cards, and the ones that can read new cards wih chip technology are quite expensive. There are a number of companies., including PayPal and banks that offer this service. While I haven't purchased a chip reader from them, I'm sure they are comparable in price.
All of these readers connect to iPhones using the headphone jack and provide instant approval/disapproval of credit cards. They are a boon to small business owners, saving considerable money.
Of course, if everyone had an iPhone that could use Apple Pay, that would be wonderful, but I doubt that day will ever come.

I don't know if Apple monitors this forum, but I hope they do and will get this message.

Pat

harryb2448
01-24-2016, 07:33 PM
No they don't. Email CEO Tim Cook direct.

Slydude
01-24-2016, 07:58 PM
I hadn't really thought of that. Don't really have any experience with those devices.

I suspect there will be an appropriate adapter if the port change actually happens. There's certainly lots of incentive to build a lightning to 3.5 mm adapter given the number of devices already on the market that use the headphone port.

chas_m
01-25-2016, 06:03 AM
I have a different point of contention with Apple over such a change. All of these readers connect to iPhones using the headphone jack and provide instant approval/disapproval of credit cards.

Those will continue to work with older iPhones (which don't stop working the day a new one comes out) for the foreseeable future. The rumor about the headphone jack removal is just that -- a rumor -- it is not confirmed, and may not happen. That said, if Apple decides to remove the headphone jack, Square and all the other card reader companies (my Square reader cost $10, not sure where you're getting that bit about card readers for the iPhone being expensive) will almost instantaneously issue Lightning-based card readers, so this will effectively be a non-issue.

The cost of EMV card readers might be more expensive than the swipe readers (you know EMV cards still have the stripe and can still be used by swiping, right?), but that will change along with the general change to EMV cards. Square as already put out an Apple Pay/contactless card/NFC reader:

https://squareup.com/contactless-chip-reader

It costs $50 -- and includes a free swipe reader for using cards that way.

Rod Sprague
01-26-2016, 12:46 AM
All a bit of a storm in a teacup if you ask me, I cannot see apple releasing a phone without a hands free option. So many people get around with their earbuds permanently in on bikes, in cars (whether its safe or not), noisy environments ect etc.

Michael28
01-28-2016, 12:21 PM
If they will start giving away bluetooth headphones with their devices instead of the wire headphones I'm actually ok with that. As long as they give us something. But if it goes the way of having to now buy headphones, I would be upset. Everyone listens to music on their phones, as well as do a lot of other things requiring headphones. If they remove that from the equation, too many people will be displeased.

And also agree with the above comment that making the phone thinner and at the same time wider makes absolutely no sense.

pigoo3
01-28-2016, 01:33 PM
If they will start giving away bluetooth headphones with their devices instead of the wire headphones I'm actually ok with that. As long as they give us something. But if it goes the way of having to now buy headphones, I would be upset.

Don't hold your breath on this one. All you're going to end up with is a blue-face…get dizzy...and then pass out!;)

- Nick

p.s. Warning: Sit down before you do this…so you don't fall down and bang your head! Applecare doesn't cover this!;);)

RadDave
01-28-2016, 02:29 PM
Don't hold your breath on this one. All you're going to end up with is a blue-face…get dizzy...and then pass out!;)

- Nick

p.s. Warning: Sit down before you do this…so you don't fall down and bang your head! Applecare doesn't cover this!;);)

LOL! :)

And also agree with the above comment that making the phone thinner and at the same time wider makes absolutely no sense.

Well, 'Apple sense' may not match yours? ;) I use BT headphones, so not a big deal for me (and I own a 'dumb' phone - wife has the iPhone 6) - Dave

pigoo3
01-28-2016, 02:45 PM
One thing I've learned working for big corporations is (small companies too)…they're always looking for ways to save money. Removing the headphone jack from an iPhone (for example) will more than likely result in a small savings (easier manufacturing, fewer parts, etc.). This is one of the reasons prices have stayed flat over the years for many electronic devices (for the most part). Older technology gets less expensive (over time) & savings squeezed out from device redesign.

And the headphone solution (as a result of jack removal)…software changes will be incorporated into the iOS. And the end user will bear the cost of the necessary new hardware. A lighting port dongle/adapter, wireless headphones, or maybe something not thought of yet.

- Nick

chas_m
01-28-2016, 06:24 PM
If Apple chose to drop the headphone jack -- again, as a reminder, not a given but quite possible -- they would certainly continue to include compatible headphones (using either Bluetooth or Lightning or both) with the iPhone as they do with the EarPods now. So, to me, this is a non-issue for most users, but will upset those who use third-party headphones with traditional jacks, because it will mean they will either need to use an adapter or will need to use the included ones (or buy new ones). I've been on BT headphones for years for everyday use for years, and would not mind at all getting a small adapter to make my Blue headphones (I have both the Mo-Fi and the Lola, highly recommended over-ear, noise-muffling headphones for discerning music lovers who don't need added bass) Bluetooth or Lightning-compatible if I eventually need to do so.

In short, this is less of an issue for most users than the vocal minority wants to make it out to be.

Occams Razor
01-28-2016, 06:36 PM
Wider? Really?!? Where is that rumored? It won't fit in my suit pocket. Waaah! :'( I am wondering if the small 5 something will emerge and sell...

Michael28
02-02-2016, 11:36 AM

- Nick

Lol I will hold out hope until the bubble officially bursts. Gotta keep the dream alive! ;-)

pigoo3
02-12-2016, 02:59 PM
In case folks wanted more concrete info regarding the removal of the audio out jack (headphone jack) on future iPhone models:

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/02/12/iphone-7-lightning-headphones-noise-canceling/

- Nick

zugzwang
06-18-2016, 05:43 AM
My thoughts...

1. Quite frankly, I don't really want the iPhone to get any thinner. Its getting hard to hold as it is. Frankly, I miss the more squared off styling of the 5s over the 6 and 6s rounded style.

2. I'm all for getting rid of the headphone jack. I've been using bluetooth headset for years anyway. Gives one less opening for water and dust to get in.

3. I wish they would get rid of it and ADD ANOTHER SPEAKER! Preferably two front facing speakers like the HTC One had. The sound on the apple speaker sucks ***. Once in a blue moon, I have no headset or bluetooth speaker with me and want to play some tunes. I actually put the phone in a coffee can to make a ghetto amplifier.

harryb2448
06-18-2016, 06:34 PM
I think it would be a great idea.

Less zombie like people walking the streets unaware of what is going on around them, such as walking in front of a bus!

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2014/s4024349.htm

chscag
06-18-2016, 07:04 PM
What's even worse than walking in traffic and texting is driving in traffic while texting! We have some real nutty drivers here in Texas without adding texting to the hazards.

Slydude
06-18-2016, 07:23 PM
I don't think the presence or absence of a headphone jack is going to affect that behavior much. Bluetooth headsets have reach the point where they don't coast much more than a decent pair of earbuds.

Nighthawk4
06-20-2016, 08:20 AM
Minor point - some of us cannot use the ear buds as the buds don't stay in our ears - so we have to use headphones - which require a headphone jack socket, or Bluetooth of course :)

Rod Sprague
06-20-2016, 08:57 AM
What's even worse than walking in traffic and texting is driving in traffic while texting! We have some real nutty drivers here in Texas without adding texting to the hazards.
What about texting while riding a motor scooter, there's a lot of that here.

zugzwang
06-26-2016, 12:29 AM
What about texting while riding a motor scooter, there's a lot of that here.

I live in China, and I see that stuff all the time.

Once, a guy bumped me from the side while he was texting on his motor scooter. I slapped the phone out of his hand. It shattered into a million pieces.

The other day, I saw a guy on an motor scooter... he had a kid on there with him, and TWO cellphones, talking on one (between his shoulder and his head) and texting on the other. What an idiot.

Rod Sprague
07-03-2016, 08:58 AM
Well motivated by the rumors I had a look for Bluetooth rechargable earbuds and found there are heaps to choose from. With a Bose set $150.00 to cheap Korean brands even this one (with Siri)
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-TaoTronics-Headphones-Activation-Sweatproof/dp/B01E3RHW38/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1467546633&sr=8-3&keywords=bluetooth+headphones&refinements=p_36%3A2600-2999%2Cp_89%3ATaoTronics
At prices no greater than the stock standard Apple wired earbuds I might be motivated to try a set, to me the cable was always the worst part.

zugzwang
07-03-2016, 08:25 PM
Well motivated by the rumors I had a look for Bluetooth rechargable earbuds and found there are heaps to choose from. With a Bose set $150.00 to cheap Korean brands even this one (with Siri)
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-TaoTronics-Headphones-Activation-Sweatproof/dp/B01E3RHW38/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1467546633&sr=8-3&keywords=bluetooth+headphones&refinements=p_36%3A2600-2999%2Cp_89%3ATaoTronics
At prices no greater than the stock standard Apple wired earbuds I might be motivated to try a set, to me the cable was always the worst part.

I have a pair of the LG Tone Premium ones. Absolutely love them. Best money I ever spent. Can't stand wired earphones anymore. The only reason I even have any wired ones is for the nazi flight attendants who seem to actually believe that my bluetooth would cause the plane to crash, while the wifi they sell for $20 a flight will not.

Randy B. Singer
07-04-2016, 03:20 AM
I purchased this Bluetooth headset, and it was so impressive that I purchased several pairs for my office!

Bluetooth Headset, Stoon Sweatproof V4.0 Wireless Bluetooth Earphones In-Ear Noise Cancelling Headphones Earbuds with Microphone & Stereo
$26

http://www.amazon.com/Sweatproof-Cancelling-Headphones-Microphone-Attraction/dp/B0133BN23E/

The sound through the headphones is clear and accurate. Great for listening to music. The microphone works great. The entire headset is unobtrusive and can be clasped magnetically around your neck when you aren't using it. Really nice for wearing in the office all day and talking on the phone while accessing your computer or freeing up your hands for writing down notes. They are also really nice for use while exercising. This is an amazing price for bluetooth headphones, especially such good ones!

It doesn't matter to me if Apple drops the microphone port. I've dropped the microphone port and I'm not going back to using it.

phpholly
07-15-2016, 09:40 PM
If they give you the Bluetooth headphone choice, I wonder how well it will do in sales?

Rod Sprague
07-15-2016, 10:37 PM
I purchased this Bluetooth headset, and it was so impressive that I purchased several pairs for my office!

Bluetooth Headset, Stoon Sweatproof V4.0 Wireless Bluetooth Earphones In-Ear Noise Cancelling Headphones Earbuds with Microphone & Stereo
$26

http://www.amazon.com/Sweatproof-Cancelling-Headphones-Microphone-Attraction/dp/B0133BN23E/

The sound through the headphones is clear and accurate. Great for listening to music. The microphone works great. The entire headset is unobtrusive and can be clasped magnetically around your neck when you aren't using it. Really nice for wearing in the office all day and talking on the phone while accessing your computer or freeing up your hands for writing down notes. They are also really nice for use while exercising. This is an amazing price for bluetooth headphones, especially such good ones!

It doesn't matter to me if Apple drops the microphone port. I've dropped the microphone port and I'm not going back to using it.

Randy, they look great but only 4 Hrs music playing time? Isn't that a bit short? All the Bluetooth sets I've looked at claim 6 Hrs and despite ordering a set from Bose I still haven't worked out how you recharge them. Have not found a store here that actually have any to look at.

Randy B. Singer
07-16-2016, 10:34 AM
Randy, they look great but only 4 Hrs music playing time? Isn't that a bit short?

This headset has a tiny battery, which makes it less obtrusive. Truth be told, this headset is really aimed at either those who use it while exercising (not many folks exercise for more than 4 hours straight) or for use in an office. I use mine mainly in the office. Since office work only involves using your headphones when you are on the phone, they easily last all day on a charge for office work. But, if need be, it's easy to plug them into the USB charger.

Rod Sprague
07-16-2016, 10:18 PM
OK so you have given me a clue, "it's easy to plug them into the USB charger". Just how exactly does that work?

Randy B. Singer
07-17-2016, 02:39 AM
OK so you have given me a clue, "it's easy to plug them into the USB charger". Just how exactly does that work?

The headset comes with a cable that has a regular USB plug on one end, and what I suspect is a micro-USB plug on the other end. You plug the USB end into any powered USB port (i.e. you plug it into your computer, or a powered USB hub, or the USB port in your car) and the other end into the volume controller for the headset. It only takes a couple of hours for a full charge.

Rod Sprague
07-20-2016, 02:02 AM
Thanks Randy, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

usagora
07-21-2016, 08:51 PM
I have not used the headphone jack one single time on my last two iPhones, and I listen to music/audio through them all the time. I for one won't miss it if it goes away. Wireless all the way for me, thanks.

MikeFromMesa
07-26-2016, 09:06 PM
I have to say that I don't really understand why so many people are upset about the possible removal of the headphone jack from the iPhone. Yes, I get that people have earbuds and headphones that use that jack (as do I) and that they will have to replace, but technology moves on. I don't remember so many people being upset when Apple stopped including a CD/DVD drive in the MacBook Pro and this does not seem very different.

Presumably there will be adapters that will allow people to use their current hardware with the new iPhones and I, for one, have always disliked the way Apple placed the earphone jack on the bottom of the iPhone instead of the top, forcing me to keep the iPhone upside down in my pocket and thus having to turn it over every time I take it out to use it. What am I missing that makes this such a big deal to some folks?

chscag
07-26-2016, 10:27 PM
What am I missing that makes this such a big deal to some folks?

It's not a big deal. Some folks just like to complain.... Bluetooth headphones are not expensive and work just as well.

cwa107
07-26-2016, 11:07 PM
I have to say that I don't really understand why so many people are upset about the possible removal of the headphone jack from the iPhone. Yes, I get that people have earbuds and headphones that use that jack (as do I) and that they will have to replace, but technology moves on. I don't remember so many people being upset when Apple stopped including a CD/DVD drive in the MacBook Pro and this does not seem very different.

Presumably there will be adapters that will allow people to use their current hardware with the new iPhones and I, for one, have always disliked the way Apple placed the earphone jack on the bottom of the iPhone instead of the top, forcing me to keep the iPhone upside down in my pocket and thus having to turn it over every time I take it out to use it. What am I missing that makes this such a big deal to some folks?

Because removing the headphone jack is of no technical benefit to anyone but Apple. This move is designed to eliminate the analog loophole as an appeasement to the recording industry. It is also intended to justify Apple's purchase of Beats and force folks to invest in new headphones. You can bet that Apple will have a new Beats product to announce right alongside the new iPhone. Lastly, and not least... The dongle business is a highly profitable one. Apple would love nothing more than to sell you a $30 dongle (and it will be at least that much, since a DAC will need to be integrated into it) on top of your already overpriced iPhone.

Tim Cook's Apple cares only about maximizing profits, not delivering the best products. That is the distinction between the Steve Jobs era and today. He's already all but killed the Mac, knee capping the iPhone appears to be his next "innovation".

cwa107
07-26-2016, 11:10 PM
It's not a big deal. Some folks just like to complain.... Bluetooth headphones are not expensive and work just as well.

You're right. When I see change for change's sake, I like to complain. And Bluetooth headphones (the cheap ones) do actually suck pretty badly. Between static and connectivity issues, poor battery life and dropping pairing, they are not nearly as reliable as a good set of wired headphones. Even my expensive $120 Jaybird X2 headphones have occasional hiccups.... And they're supposed to be amongst the best in the industry.

pigoo3
07-26-2016, 11:22 PM
I have to say that I don't really understand why so many people are upset about the possible removal of the headphone jack from the iPhone. Yes, I get that people have earbuds and headphones that use that jack (as do I) and that they will have to replace, but technology moves on.

Remember. This thread was started 6 months ago…when this sort of change was much more of a "new thing". And the options to deal with no headphone jack were not as well known. 6 months later (with what we know now)…you're right. Not such a big deal.:)

I don't remember so many people being upset when Apple stopped including a CD/DVD drive in the MacBook Pro and this does not seem very different.

OMG are you serious??;). There were (and still are) lots & lots of folks who were VERY upset about this. Probably as big a deal as matte vs. glossy displays and soldered in ram!

- Nick

MikeFromMesa
07-27-2016, 10:59 AM
You're right. When I see change for change's sake, I like to complain. And Bluetooth headphones (the cheap ones) do actually suck pretty badly. Between static and connectivity issues, poor battery life and dropping pairing, they are not nearly as reliable as a good set of wired headphones. Even my expensive $120 Jaybird X2 headphones have occasional hiccups.... And they're supposed to be amongst the best in the industry.
I am not trying to be argumentative, but it seems to me that the tech industry is based, basically, on change for change's sake and stuff changes all the time, both computers and other tech items, to produce obsolescence and stimulate sales. This may not be nice, but it is what it is. All of the stuff that I see about the headphone jack disappearing says that it is to help slim and lighten the iPhone which is relatively heavy compared to its competitors. I guess I don't see why this is any different from any of the other changes.

Apple, and all of the current 3rd party manufacturers will convert and start making earbuds and headphone using the lightening connector instead of the current plugin so, other than the cost of replacing my headphones (and I have quite a few) nothing will really change. I currently don't use bluetooth headphones much (I don't much care for the added radiation around my head, although this may well be a silly concern) so I use wired headsets, and I will probably continue to use them if Apple makes the change. If I don't want to do that I assume I will buy some Samsung phone instead when I replace my current iPhone 6S Plus. Basically I assume life is change so I just have tried to get used to it and stopped trying to fight it. Perhaps I am wrong about that, but it seems like the only way to proceed, given that Apple is not going to listen to me anyway.

cwa107
07-27-2016, 11:21 AM
I am not trying to be argumentative, but it seems to me that the tech industry is based, basically, on change for change's sake and stuff changes all the time, both computers and other tech items, to produce obsolescence and stimulate sales. This may not be nice, but it is what it is. All of the stuff that I see about the headphone jack disappearing says that it is to help slim and lighten the iPhone which is relatively heavy compared to its competitors. I guess I don't see why this is any different from any of the other changes.

Ever held a 1/8" stereo headphone jack in your hands? As it happens, I just did recently when I soldered one to the IR receiver's mounting pads in my Sony Soundbar's accompanying subwoofer/amp box so that I could connect it to a remote IR adapter. The weight is ridiculously negligible - and that's not even a miniaturized component. The iPhone is thin and light enough. Heck, it's hard to get a good grip on it as it is today.

Change in the IT industry is typically driven by innovation in some form. Personally, I tend to get upset when it means degraded functionality for the purposes of shaving off a few micrometers of Apple's already ridiculously thin designs - and I know I'm not alone. Apple is at its worst when it removes well-loved functionality for some inane design choice. Unfortunately, under Tim Cook's stewardship, these kinds of choices are becoming more and more prevalent, to the detriment of once great products. I hate to see the same happen to the iPhone -- and that's why I am annoyed.

Apple, and all of the current 3rd party manufacturers will convert and start making earbuds and headphone using the lightening connector instead of the current plugin so, other than the cost of replacing my headphones (and I have quite a few) nothing will really change. I currently don't use bluetooth headphones much (I don't much care for the added radiation around my head, although this may well be a silly concern) so I use wired headsets, and I will probably continue to use them if Apple makes the change. If I don't want to do that I assume I will buy some Samsung phone instead when I replace my current iPhone 6S Plus. Basically I assume life is change so I just have tried to get used to it and stopped trying to fight it. Perhaps I am wrong about that, but it seems like the only way to proceed, given that Apple is not going to listen to me anyway.

Doesn't make it any less irritating. But I will vote with my wallet, as I have done on the Mac side of things. It continues to be my hope that those of us who count ourselves as enthusiasts, but not necessarily "fanboys" will do the same.

pigoo3
07-27-2016, 11:26 AM
I am not trying to be argumentative, but it seems to me that the tech industry is based, basically, on change for change's sake and stuff changes all the time...

You're absolutely right. Also remember that Apple is a very forward thinking (and sometimes risk-taking company). Apple throughout much of it's history has been a leader in introducing new technologies. Sometimes the new stuff catches on…and sometimes it doesn't.

If Apple was as risk-averse as other computer companies…the computing & iDevice worlds would be so much different.

Also remember that companies are in business to make money. Part of making money is generating income from current & new revenue streams. If Apple changed nothing…we'd all still be running around with iPhone 1's…iPad 1's…and Powerbook G4's!;) Part of having a continuous income stream from current products/new products is changing things.

It certainly can be argued that Apple changes things too quickly (orphan's previous products too quickly). But without change…many many many of the features we enjoy in our Apple electronics we would not have today. There are so many of these…it's hard to list them all.

And guess what?? What do many of the other electronics companies do? They wait & see what Apple does. They wait 6-12 months to see which of the new technology introductions Apple makes that succeed & fail…and then they incorporate the successful technologies Apple introduces into their products (6-12 months later). Thus…Apple takes all the risk. Great when a newly introduced technology succeeds…and sometimes not so great when something new does not.

If Apple didn't take risks…much of what we enjoy today wouldn't be with us. New technology intros are a double-edged sword.

- Nick

cwa107
07-27-2016, 11:37 AM
You're absolutely right. Also remember that Apple is a very forward thinking (and sometimes risk-taking company). Apple throughout much of it's history has been a leader in introducing new technologies. Sometimes the new stuff catches on…and sometimes it doesn't.

If Apple was as risk-averse as other computer companies…the computing & iDevice worlds would be so much different.

Also remember that companies are in business to make money. Part of making money is generating income from current & new revenue streams. If Apple changed nothing…we'd all still be running around with iPhone 1's…iPad 1's…and Powerbook G4's!;) Part of having a continuous income stream from current products/new products is changing things.

It certainly can be argued that Apple changes things too quickly (orphan's previous products too quickly). But without change…many many many of the features we enjoy in our Apple electronics we would not have today. There are so many of these…it's hard to list them all.

And guess what?? What do many of the other electronics companies do? They wait & see what Apple does. They wait 6-12 months to see which of the new technology introductions Apple makes that succeed & fail…and then they incorporate the successful technologies Apple introduces into their products (6-12 months later). Thus…Apple takes all the risk. Great when a newly introduced technology succeeds…and sometimes not so great when something new does not.

If Apple didn't take risks…much of what we enjoy today wouldn't be with us. New technology intros are a double-edged sword.

- Nick

While true to an extent, it's important to remember that removing the headphone jack does not advance the technology, nor enhance functionality in any way. I would shut up about this even if they just reduced the price, or better yet, added storage while keeping the costs the same -- but Tim Cook's Apple doesn't work that way. They omit what was once standard and then reintroduce it as a pay-for add on! And it's particularly frustrating when their ulterior motives are so transparent.

I like my Apple gear as much as the next person, but I will not apologize for them when they are clearly hobbling their products and taking advantage of the ignorant and their more rabid fans.

pigoo3
07-27-2016, 01:20 PM
While true to an extent, it's important to remember that removing the headphone jack does not advance the technology, nor enhance functionality in any way. I would shut up about this even if they just reduced the price, or better yet, added storage while keeping the costs the same -- but Tim Cook's Apple doesn't work that way. They omit what was once standard and then reintroduce it as a pay-for add on! And it's particularly frustrating when their ulterior motives are so transparent.

I like my Apple gear as much as the next person, but I will not apologize for them when they are clearly hobbling their products and taking advantage of the ignorant and their more rabid fans.

I was mostly commenting in the general sense (the trend throughout the years). I think many times changes Apple has made initially folks hate it…then become ok with it…and at some point may even like it.:)

I know that removing the headphone jack has a lot of "arms & legs" to it. It could turn out to be one of those changes that folks hate more than like. I would think that for many folks that like to use headphones/ear buds with their iPhone…eliminating the cord would be a very acceptable change. Sure it would be nice to have a choice (corded or cordless).

Apple knows they got us ("us" being folks that prefer Apple products). Apple knows that if we want to stay "Apple"…we have to "go with the flow".

And hey. It's not always necessary to be a first-adopter of new products. I stopped being a first-adopter of new products a long time ago…it's just a financial bottomless black hole! I'm still using an iPhone 5, an iPad 3, and a couple 2011 MacBook Pro's. By the time I get a "newer Apple product"…all the bugs have definitely been ironed out…and I'll pay less than 50% its original price.:)

I bet there's a ton of folks out there who won't change to cordless unless forced to. And then once they've changed to cordless…they'll say to themselves…"Why didn't I do this sooner?". I know that I've been in this "bucket" a couple times over the years.;)

- Nick

MikeFromMesa
07-27-2016, 03:46 PM

I have been a "techie" as long as I can remember and I expect companies to upgrade their hardware every year or so. I don't resent their making my equipment obsolescent by replacing a 2.5 GHz chip with a 2.6 or 2.7 GHz chip, even if the change is not noticeable. That is how we get from black and white TVs to color TVs to LCD and plasma TVs. I also have no problem with companies making money - if they don't they will not be able to employ people, pay taxes and advance the technology and I am a confirmed believer in technical progress. That is why I have no problem with "change for change's sake" even if much of it is driven by the desire to replace "old" items with "new" ones, even if the functionality is essentially the same. After all, I don't have to replace my phone with a new one. The choice is mine and if I don't like what Apple has done with the new iPhone XYZ, well there is always Samsung and Android and that is the benefit of competition.

While some products are driven by technology innovation many are driven by changes in style and I don't have a problem with that either. I assume that the new Samsung S7 Edge will result in Apple introducing a new curved screen iPhone sometime in the near future and perhaps it will be lighter than my present iPhone 6S Plus, which I consider to be a brick compared to some of the new competition. And I like Apple and its products, but I am more than willing to buy and use the competition - after all my last phone was a Samsung Galaxy S5 Android and I was happy with it. I only changed because my carrier changed and was not compatible with the old phone.

usagora
07-28-2016, 09:34 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Cootree-220-Wireless-Bluetooth-Blackberry/dp/B00KQG6QFG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469709096&sr=8-1&keywords=cootree

Been using those for a couple years through sweat, blood, and tears, with absolutely no connection or sound quality issues. Battery lasts 1-2 weeks depending on usage. $23.99

rainbowcat
08-07-2016, 10:04 PM
I don't really care, as long as it doesn't require headphones instead of earbuds. I hate headphones. Considering that we're listening to compressed music files that are one up from transistor radio sound, I don't see the big deal. Then again, I'm a classical musician, and when I really want to listen to music, I don't use mobile devices.

KevinJS
08-08-2016, 12:43 AM
Had a quick skim through some of the posts in this thread, but have to admit to not having read all of them so apologies for that.

Someone mentioned Beats as being a possible reason, or part of it, for dropping the 3.5 mm socket. So I thought I'd throw this in, along with the comment that you couldn't pay me to use a set.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7639618?utm_hp_ref=technology&utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_584160

I wasn't at all shocked when I read that.

Being one who was not amused when kick starters were removed from motorcycles, I can be something of a stick in the mud, and I'm not sure I can see the rationale behind this one. I know about the skinny future devices, and waterproofing etc etc but I wanna use my cans. Right now, all I have to do is choose between 3.5 mm or ¼ inch and I can pick one of several sets. A lightning to 3.5 mm adapter is all well and good, but what about charging when listening to music and using battery hungry apps like GPS? I don't think it's the greatest move. That said, it's not a deal killer. I'll just use an old phone as an iPod.

KevinJS
08-08-2016, 12:44 AM
I don't really care, as long as it doesn't require headphones instead of earbuds. I hate headphones. Considering that we're listening to compressed music files that are one up from transistor radio sound, I don't see the big deal. Then again, I'm a classical musician, and when I really want to listen to music, I don't use mobile devices.

+1 to that.