why my mp4 videos are dramatically reduced in size when transferred to my USB HD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
l am transferring from my mbpr "Photos" software to my USB HD for backup. This process reduces the size by ~7x~ eg transferred an old MPEG 4 thats 7MB, but when transferred to my USB HD it goes down to 1.1MB. l want the same size as original. surely its possible?

The files don't seem to be searchable, so l do not know where the file is in my mbpr, eg file called MOV03599.mp4, but when l try to search it in my 'Finder' its not there. only when l transfer to the USB HD l can search it, though it changes from .mp4 to .mv4?

please comment.

thanks for help :)

C

chas_m

Sounds like you are transferring the reduced-rez "thumbnail" version of the file, rather than the file.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
Sounds like you are transferring the reduced-rez "thumbnail" version of the file, rather than the file.

thanks for reply chas, how do l keep it mp4 at the original size without this compression and reduction in quality?

C

chas_m

Maybe you could explain how you're going about copying things now?

After doing some testing with this, I confirmed your problem -- you're just dragging the movie over from Photos to your target, right? That's the wrong way to do it.

Select the video or videos you want, then go to file->export and export from there. That gives you a copy of the original movie with the same file size and format.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
Maybe you could explain how you're going about copying things now?

After doing some testing with this, I confirmed your problem -- you're just dragging the movie over from Photos to your target, right? That's the wrong way to do it.

Select the video or videos you want, then go to file->export and export from there. That gives you a copy of the original movie with the same file size and format.

you're an ocean of knowledge, Thanks chas ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.