Installing windows 8.1 on mid 2010 macbook pro: No luck

Reaction score
So I have been trying to install windows 8.1 on my mid 2010 Macbook pro, running El Capitan 10.11.2. I have followed all the guides and instructions I can find, but there is a problem I keep running into concerning the startup disc.

Now, I have created the ISO image from a Windows 8.1 disk purchased from BestBuy. I have also downloaded the Support software onto a USB Stick via BootCamp and I have created a 75GB partition for running windows.

But when I open BootCamp to continue, it says

"The Startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition.
The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume
or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows"

Which I don't understand because I have already made a partition, this was the message that prompted me to make a partition in the first place.

I can continue past this message, but when the Select Tasks menu appears, BootCamp will only allow the "Download Latest Windows Software" box to be ticked.

So I am new to these kinds of modifications, so I am really hoping I am making a newb mistake somewhere. Inexplicable tech problems follow me like a plague though, so if anyone can help me to shed some light on this, I would be really grateful.

Thank You!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Did you create the partition manually or did you use the BootCamp Assistant? If you did it manually use the BootCamp Assistant to delete the Windows partition and re-create it using the BootCamp, Assistant.

When you are re=creating the partition you may get a message that you do not have enough space and you are sure that you have space then the drive has become fragmented we can address that issue if necessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As your MBP came with an optical drive I think you will have better luck using the DVD version. And when you say you have laready made the partition, it is strictly necessary to do this running BootCamp and not any other way. And you need the drive to be in one single partition prior to starting up BootCamp. It is all in the guidelines. Print them, and read them.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now, I have created the ISO image from a Windows 8.1 disk purchased from BestBuy. I have also downloaded the Support software onto a USB Stick via BootCamp and I have created a 75GB partition for running windows.

As Harry pointed out, you can not install Windows 8.1 via an ISO on that machine as it has an optical drive. There is a hack work around that you could use but we'll let you google to find it. Also pointed out by Slydude, is that only the Boot Camp assistant can be used to create a Windows partition.

OP
D
Reaction score
Did you create the partition manually or did you use the BootCamp Assistant? If you did it manually use the BootCamp Assistant to delete the Windows partition and re-create it using the BootCamp, Assistant.

Yes this was the solution. Easy novice mistake on my part, I now have windows running.

Oddly enough, when I started I had a single partition, and even still it gave me that message. Which then prompted me to partition it myself.

No problems now though, so far at least. Thank you for the quick responses

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad that worked out for you. Now if I can dig up my code maybe I can finally activate my Windows 10 install. Royal pain if you ask me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.