Problem With OSXRESERVED After Installing Windows 10 Via BootCamp

epp

Reaction score
So, as the title states I have a problem with an unwanted partition. I installed windows 10 via bootcamp last night for the second time. The first time I installed, I deleted the OSXRESERVED partition (not sure how though, as it wont allow me now) and windows was destroyed in the process. I would like to get rid of it because when I go to choose what to boot into I have a Mac HD and two Windows options. Any help would be great. My windows partition is 80gb the OSXRESERVED partition is 8gb. I am running on a 2015 15' MBP - base. Picture1.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The correct way to remove a Boot Camp partition is to use the Boot Camp Assistant software from OS X. Now that you circumvented that, you have a situation which is going to require a reinstall of OS X. Make sure you backup your OS X installation first. Then boot to recovery and use Disk Utility to erase the drive. Reinstall OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
BootCamp is pretty complicated. Print and follow the guidelines.

OP
E

epp

Reaction score
So, I think I need to clarify a little. I previously gummed some stuff up so I restored from my backup. I then proceeded to install win 10 via bootcamp again. Everything is working fine, however I have the above problem. I have two windows partitions to boot into, as well as the OSXRESERVED. Or are you saying that my problem was created by my misfolowing of the instructions? Also, when I use bootcamp, it doesn't give me any options other than choose and ISO and partition size. It does the rest on its own. Is that the way its supposed to be? Thank you again, I really appreciate your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes we know. Read Admin chscag post again and be ready to format the hard drive and do clean installs. And yes you did not follow directions to remove the first Windows partition using BootCamp Assistant ONLY.

OP
E

epp

Reaction score
So, I formatted/ erased my ssd after holding cmd+r. I then restored from a backup. Next I read everything I could about bootcamp on apple's website. After that, I loaded my ISO into bootcamp chose to partition 90gb to windows. I begin the process, everything is normal. I setup windows, its working perfectly, no problems. I restart to go back to OS X and I have my OS X partition as well as two windows partitions. Once in OS X I have my Macintosh HD, BOOTCAMP, and OSXRESERVED. I don't think I missed any steps, everything is working as it should. Am I missing anything you all can see? What is OSXRESERVED, am I supposed to have it? If not how do I get rid of it? Its full of windows related stuff, it looks like what was used to build windows. This is the fourth or so time I have installed windows. Thank you again for your time!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm still trying to pin down additional details/ suggestions but this thread suggests that something in the BootCamp drivers did not install correctly.

OP
E

epp

Reaction score
Update, I went into internet recovery. I formatted the internal SSD installed Yosemite as it was what came on my machine. Went through bootcamp on a clean install of Yosemite (required usb). Worked flawlessly except for an audio driver that has frozen on every other install, even on El Capitan (just ended the task in task manager). Went back to OS X used migration assistant to replace my files from my backup. I have everything exactly the way it is supposed to be! Thank you all for your responses!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great stuff. When running Windows via BootCamp sometimes had to go outside the square and download drivers from developer whilst booted into Windows. There is a little app called BootChamp you may be interested in. It is free and runs with Yosemite. Please do not hit the CleanMyMac download button by mistake!!!!

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/28468/bootchamp

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.