PDA

View Full Version : neat trick with OS X

evolve
04-08-2006, 10:38 PM
You guys probably already know this but for those who don't

Hold control+command while minimizing a window. this slows the genie effect down a bit.

control+shift while minimizing slows down the genie effect a lot.

BiT
04-08-2006, 10:46 PM
thats why some people like Mac OS X, with all the genie effects.

macEfan
04-08-2006, 11:04 PM
interesting.. I didn't know that... heh apple has tons of tricks up their sleeves.... If any of you have OS 9, I think that if you press the option key, then select the apple menue, It will say "about the finder" instead of about this mac... If you click on it, you get to see a nice picture of apple's headquarters...

baggss
04-08-2006, 11:12 PM
You are correct about OS9. There were different pictures in different finder versions throughout the years. One had picture of the Mac flag over the campus, one had a pirate flag, and one you could rip the flag off with the cursor and it would fly across and down through the picture.

novicew
04-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Here (http://www.finiteloops.com/news.php?item.9.4) are some more shortcut keys for anyone interested.

Meddie600rr
04-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Macs are fun.

dimagex20
04-09-2006, 06:40 PM
That is pretty neat, I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip!!

BlindingLights
04-10-2006, 09:05 PM
oh, and check this one out- command+option+control+8... it's pretty wicked, and press it again to undo that

zacman
04-11-2006, 01:28 AM
oh, and check this one out- command+option+control+8... it's pretty wicked, and press it again to undo that

sweeeeett!!
More! please!

Santos
04-11-2006, 04:02 AM
Heres another site: Shortcuts (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459)

SilverEagle5
04-11-2006, 07:30 PM
I keep seeing this command + option + control + 8 thing, and I think you should tell me what it does, because I don't want to wait until Friday when I get my iBook to see what it does :p

puaerotch
04-11-2006, 07:44 PM
I keep seeing this command + option + control + 8 thing, and I think you should tell me what it does, because I don't want to wait until Friday when I get my iBook to see what it does :p

it inverts the colors of the screen (ex. blue becomes orange, green becomes purple)

BlindingLights
04-11-2006, 07:59 PM
yeah, it's more or less a negative of your display.

SilverEagle5
04-11-2006, 08:16 PM
Sounds fancy.

claudius753
04-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Holding shift while minimizing slows it down too, to a speed in between control-command and control-shift. In fact, holding shift will allow you to slow down a lot of things, like dashboard in and out, expose, and minimizing and maximizing.

surfwax95
04-12-2006, 11:14 PM
There are actually 4 speeds for the minimize process. Normal (click), Slow (ctrl+command+click), Super Slow (Shift+click), and Super Duper Slow (Option+Shift+click). These commands (most of them) work with all Dock oriented processes. Hold down shift while activating Expose and Dashboard, it does the same thing.

Now for the amazing. (I think I've posted this before...)

Open Terminal and type (minus the quotes):

"killall Dock"

Don't hit enter yet, though. Now open Safari and get it as big as you can. Hold Option+Shift and click the Minimize button. Safari will begin to slowly "genie" down. Now quickly activate Terminal and hit enter. This sends the "kill" command to the Dock and the minimize effect stops leaving Safari in an awkward position. Just quit Safari to get it off the screen.

claudius753
04-12-2006, 11:34 PM
Now that is cool! Not only does it freeze in place, but I didn't know the morph was live! I thought it just took a screen cap of the window, then performed the genie effect, but after doing your trick, safari could still scroll the page, go to new adresses, etc.

I wonder if there is a cool way to hack this so that you could morph around live windows. Heh, doesn't take much to make my day, obviously... :mac:

surfwax95
04-13-2006, 10:31 AM
In Panther you could do the same thing with Expose. Type "killall Dock" in Terminal with a few windows open. Hit F9, then hit Enter to execute the command. All your windows would be stuck in tiny/blurry land and you could still move them around and type in them. I can't get this to work in Tiger for some reason though...

zeta101
05-27-2006, 07:05 PM
Thought I'd revive this thread with another expose trick I've found from here (http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/switch_expose.html). I've never heard about it before so curious to see how many people know about it.

Basically, press F9 to see all your windows in expose, or you can press F10 for just the expose on the app your working in. The trick is that you can press F9 and then afterwards press tab and it will switch to application view..but wait there's more! if you keep pressing tab then it will cycle through your open apps in expose mode (shift+tab to cycle back).

Best way to test it is open a few windows in a couple of different apps.

I love stuff like this!

Graphite
05-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Cool, I did not know that!

michaelmjc
05-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Just having switched from windows, I tried that the first day I got it. I'm glad it does it on a mac, very handy.

dtravis7
05-27-2006, 10:52 PM
Have used Expose' thousands of times but never really tried the Tab Key. Very good find there Zeta.