Booting VHD from USB on Mac

Reaction score
I have built a Virtual Machine using Ubuntu 15.10 as a guest under VirtualBox that is configured as a "kiosk" type machine. Add the Oracle extensions pack, and it runs like a champ.

The .VHD for this Virtual Machine can be cloned to a USB drive quite easily and will boot on almost any x86 hardware... EXCEPT for Mac.

I've tested it against a wide variety of x86-based PCs with roaring success. In fact, there are only a small list of machines that simply refuse to boot from this USB storage. Even newer Win8/10 machines will accept it once you bypass SecureBoot.

My testbed in the office for this is a mid-2012 MBP 13-inch with a 2.5ghz i5 and 16gb of RAM running OS-X 10.10.5

I did manage to make one USB drive that will boot for Mac by building my kiosk "baremetal". Put simply, I installed Ubuntu to the USB drive as if it were a SATA device on the Mac.

Here's where things get WEIRD. I then (mistakenly) repurposed that same USB drive for something else. On a whim, I tried cloning my "PC-compatible" VHD back to it, and it boots on Mac still! Something outside the scope of normal is going on here.

I've even had this mysteriously working USB drive side-by-side against a non-working "clone" of it in a hex debugger and can't find this accidental "secret sauce". diff returns that the two (as unmounted /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc under a development VM) are in fact different, but no differences are anywhere near the MBR.

The "patient-zero" USB drive comes up in the bootloader upon using [Alt/Option] after the startup chime. Any clones show in the menu as well, but upon selecting a drive that isn't this one special case, it presents "No bootable media - press any key"

Now, a few catches to this problem... I cannot use rEFIt or rEFInd, nor can I permanently modify the firmware/BIOS/whatever-Apple-calls-it on the target system. These "kiosks" are built for our end users, and I fear for their Mac if we recommend any of that. The goal is to have a plug-n-pray solution that removes the users personal configuration from the equation. A locked-down linux-based kiosk that prevents their (sometimes questionable) configuration choices from interfering with work.

What special Apple black-magic am I missing to make a USB drive that isn't from Apple happily boot on a Mac? I'm completely puzzled as to why Apple seems to ignore grub2 unless it was installed baremetal.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What special Apple black-magic am I missing to make a USB drive that isn't from Apple happily boot on a Mac? I'm completely puzzled as to why Apple seems to ignore grub2 unless it was installed baremetal.

Have you tried asking your question in the Ubuntu forums? There's some real sharp members there who are familiar with mixing Ubuntu with Mac OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.