Harman/Kardon SoundSticks Wireless - Crack/Pop "sound" before music starts

Reaction score
Hello, first sorry for my english, it is not my native language.

I bought Harman/Kardon SoundSticks Wireless, that work very good with my 2015 iMac. But I find out one problem. When I am not playing any music or I am doing some work on my iMac (when speakers are idle) and suddenly I start some music, there is one annoying "CRACK" ("POP") before they start playing that music/sound.... When playing they’re fine, but that one "crack" after longer period of idle status of speakers makes me angry af.

Any help? Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac-Forums.

It's difficult to say where the static is coming from. However, in the Winter when it's very dry, static electricity is present in the air from our movement or other things. Your SoundSticks could also be picking up interference from somewhere else. The only thing I can suggest is to try moving them to a different location to test. Also, it may be a good idea to keep the sound volume very low or off and then turn up the volume when you start playing music.

C

chas_m

This could be the sound of the wireless soundsticks "reconnecting" after not being used for a while. Test it (playing music and then not playing music) at first with a short gap of no music, then an increasingly longer gap between music and playing music again until you find the interval that causes the cracking/reconnecting noise.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This could be the sound of the wireless soundsticks "reconnecting" after not being used for a while. Test it (playing music and then not playing music) at first with a short gap of no music, then an increasingly longer gap between music and playing music again until you find the interval that causes the cracking/reconnecting noise.

Since they are Wireless that is a very good possibility. I think Chas might be onto something here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.