• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

C

chas_m

It's been a week or so since TFA (aka Episode VII) opened in cinemas, so if you want to discuss it I say it's fair game to do so in this appropriately-warned thread.

I'll kick things off with a link to a critique I wrote of it that really nitpicks the thing. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed seeing it (twice!) and I encourage everyone here to see it (particularly if you're going to read this thread, or my essay!), but ... well, see for yourself:

My critique (not a review) of Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Last edited:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Wow Chas, interesting review. You covered it all. I will say more later after I watch it one more time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I went to see it, only once. I enjoyed it, yet there isn't much new in the way of a plot. Bad guys have the upper hand, good guys try to eliminate them. And you have to have the social tension between a male and a female to make it interesting. But, a great show!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'll wait for it to appear on TV or sold on DVD. Star Wars is after all still Star Wars. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You heathen Charlie. That is like saying Dr No is just Dr No!!!!

OP
C

chas_m

Dr. No is one my favourite Bond movies! :)

(just for the record, I don't normally nitpick movies too much, I try to enjoy them and forgive a lot of illogic or odd story/direction choices in the name of a good time; but if it gets so silly that it takes me out of the movie, as JJ Abrams can be pretty much guaranteed to do, then I find that annoying and seek my revenge. :))

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Dr. No is one my favourite Bond movies!

The original book by Ian Fleming was even better. I remember scrambling to get to the library so I could check out Ian Fleming's latest novels about James Bond. There was always a waiting list. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini 2.5 ghz i5, 16 GB RAM, 960 GB SSD + 500 GB HDD (5200 RPM)
Only Bond book I ever read was From Russia With Love (favorite film). It was fantastic! Reading the series is on my bucket list but there's so much STUFF (books, movies, TV, games, etc.) to do that I dunno if I'll ever get to them, heh.

On Topic - I thought The Force Awakens was pretty great. Not as good as the OT but definitely good enough to be up there with them. I was not to bothered by the rehashed plot (though I get what people are saying). I'm so steeped into Star Wars fandom (not much into the books but played almost every video game) that I got used to it being all the same a long time ago, heh. I was SUPER HAPPY with how large a role Harrison Ford had in the movie. To me, he made it.

I think I will like this movie more if the sequels can deliver on some of the open-ended plot threads. If Mark Hammill has as large a role in the next one as Harrison Ford had in this one, I will be totally psyched. I absolutely loved his look at the end of TFA.

OP
C

chas_m

I suspect you're right that Episode VIII will feature Hamill more (how could it not really), and I agree with you that Harrison Ford turned in possibly one of the best performances of his career here, reminding us effortlessly how much he contributed to the original trilogy. There is, as you know, another SW film coming before Episode VIII called "Rogue One" that kind of takes a different look at SW history, which is another thing to look forward to.

Although I criticized some aspects of TFA, I encourage everyone to see it and have a good time doing so, and to the extent that TFA is so waaay better than the prequels I continue to have hope that even better SW movies are in our future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I liked it. It was fun, predictable, and the time flew by. My wife said "This is the 4th movie we never got (after Jedi)."

Best line in the movie (to me) was when Han exclaimed to Chewbacca "Really? You're cold?"

BB-8 was a hoot as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
We bought our son one of those BB-8 toys for Christmas and he loves it. It is funny that the head falls off when moving. I would have liked to see THAT in the movie ;-)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Both times I saw it, there was a collective groan from the audience when the new Death Star appeared. Otherwise, I enjoyed it for what it is. I really liked the new characters who really gelled well with the old ones. Daisy Ridley and John Boyega, were particularly well cast. Dialog was nowhere near as awkward as the prequels -- I suspect that was a function of George Lucas being sidelined. I could have done without Kylo Ren and Snoke, neither of whom seemed to really convey "the dark side" like the original Emporer and Darth Vader.

I'd say JJ and Disney did a fantastic job, given the legacy and hype they had to live up to. Personally, I'd put this movie as a close second to The Empire Strikes Back in terms of my ranking of best Star Wars flicks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.