Need Help with caps lock and 0

Reaction score
My mac is acting weird when i press my caps lock i stays on and it won't turn off i have to press it down bunch of times and sometimes it works and when i use my 0 key it acts up like this p0
\
it just types that or it turns down the volume and presses other keys the only way i can turn off caps lock is in system preferences i have never had this when i try to shut it down and come back it won't work so I'm unable to go in my main account only in the guest

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum!

What Mac? What OS? What keyboard? What other software do you have installed? Anti-virus? What have you tried already? When did it start? What had you installed just before it started? Ever spill on the keyboard? Tried another keyboard? As you can see, we need more information before we can begin to help.

OP
G
Reaction score
it's a Macbook pro "13" Os X El Capitan Verison 10.11.11 i have no anti virus programs on it only the regular firewall i tried disabling my firewall that wasn't the problem it started yesterday noon 2 am or so i didn't install anything before it happened i have spilled multiple things on my keyboard but not recently like water i don't have a extra keyboard to try it out

M

MacInWin

Well, any spill on a keyboard, no matter when or how, is not good. Eventually it will create problems, unless you get very, very lucky. How old is the machine? What does About This Mac say is the model? One other possible easy check is the battery. If it is swollen, it can put pressure on the underside of the keyboard/trackpad. Swollen batteries are dangerous, so if that's it, you should replace the battery.

C

chas_m

If you plug in an external USB keyboard, does that work okay? I have a feeling those old spills are starting to eat through the board, and that could end up being a fairly expensive repair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Spills + Electronics = death in all too many cases. Sometimes this takes seconds, minutes, hours, days or weeks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.