PDA

View Full Version : Firewall Settings

Japple1
12-18-2015, 10:34 AM
I am a Mac convert from PC User. Basic Question: I need recommendations for settings to make for Firewall security options. Are there any recommendations out there or suggestions as to what setting preferences should be used?

pigoo3
12-18-2015, 12:06 PM
If you're talking about the firewall built into the Mac OS. Rule of thumb pretty much is. When you're at home with a router that already has a builtin firewall (and hopefully protected with a good password)…you do not need to turn the Apple OS firewall on. But if you are "out in the world" (mobile computing)…then it is a good idea to turn it on.

- Nick

Japple1
12-18-2015, 12:33 PM
thanks, mostly at the house, but perhaps once a month, am out. Think I will leave it off. I appreciate the advice...

pigoo3
12-18-2015, 12:36 PM
Good deal.:)

- Nick

chas_m
12-18-2015, 08:19 PM
I have never recommended turning the software firewall on *unless you are connected to a network that you know doesn't have a hardware one,* which the probability of encountering one is nearly zero in the developed world, and maybe one-in-a-hundred-thousand elsewhere. This is one of those things that was important 20 years ago, like making sure your dial-up file transfers used zmodem as it was more reliable than xmodem, but has long since become a non-issue.

These days, you'll never encounter a hotspot -- public or private -- that doesn't have a superior hardware firewall. I also find that people have the most BIZARRE ideas about what a firewall is and what it does, thinking it more a "magic shield" than anything. Bottom line: software firewall is about as frequently needed as going into the terminal is for the typical user, and turning it on can sometimes cause issues, so broadly speaking don't bother.