Is Macbook Pro 15 inch right for me?

Reaction score
I'm thinking of switching to a 15 inch from my 2010 13 inch that is on its way out. These are the things I'm looking to do with it:

1) Work (will want the bigger screen so I can work on 2 Word documents side by side with a lot of clarity)

2) Minimal gaming (Minecraft, Minecraft, Minecraft)

3) Watching some TV and movies (bigger screen, great)

4) Browsing lots on the net and having lots of tabs open with lots of images (ayy lmao!)

What do you all think?

Also, why is 1TB flash storage so expensive as an add-on? I bought a 1TB drive for about $100. 250GB fills up fast. Do people generally rely on externals these days? I'm surprised 1TB isn't the absolute minimum.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm thinking of switching to a 15 inch from my 2010 13 inch that is on its way out. These are the things I'm looking to do with it:

1) Work (will want the bigger screen so I can work on 2 Word documents side by side with a lot of clarity)

2) Minimal gaming (Minecraft, Minecraft, Minecraft)

3) Watching some TV and movies (bigger screen, great)

4) Browsing lots on the net and having lots of tabs open with lots of images (ayy lmao!)

What do you all think?

Sure. A new 15" MacBook Pro can do all that. A 13" MacBook Pro with a large external monitor might even be better (for the times you are not being mobile). And a large external monitor will give you more screen real estate (can see it better/easier too)…and at a lower price.

Also, why is 1TB flash storage so expensive as an add-on? I bought a 1TB drive for about $100. 250GB fills up fast. Do people generally rely on externals these days? I'm surprised 1TB isn't the absolute minimum.

Don't you know that SSD's/flash storage is much much more expensive/gig than older rotational hard drives.??;)

- Nick

C

chas_m

"Clarity" depends on your vision as much as it does on the screen. 15-inch being bigger than 13-inch, and Retina display being your only option, I'm sure it will -- of course split-screen can do this right now on my 13-inch ...

This has a lot less to do with screen size and a great deal more to do with CPU, GPU and RAM, so we naturally can't answer that for you.

Also, why is 1TB flash storage so expensive as an add-on?

Because it is flash storage, a newer technology that is more expensive to make -- but runs at least 10x faster than conventional hard drives, has no moving parts, and thus saves battery life and heat.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.