Interesting...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Tell me about it! I received a notice from the US Govt Office of Personnel Management the other day informing me that since everything about me is now in the possession of Chinese hackers, that they (US OPM) is going to provide me with free "super identity protection" for the next three years. I feel so safe now. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Tell me about it! I received a notice from the US Govt Office of Personnel Management the other day informing me that since everything about me is now in the possession of Chinese hackers, that they (US OPM) is going to provide me with free "super identity protection" for the next three years. I feel so safe now. ;P

I got the same letter! Did you sign up online for the additional stuff? (I need to read the letter again to recall what it was.) I checked it out with Yahoo! and decided it was legit, so I followed the instructions.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The letter was definitely legitimate as it was from the Office of Personnel Management. And no, I didn't sign up for the additional ($$) stuff they were selling. I followed their instructions by logging on to their site and registering. They supposedly will monitor your goings on and report any oddities.

M

MacInWin

I'm on that list, too, got the letter and signed up for the free service. I get an email about once a month what what they have observed. So far, so good.

OP
cradom
Reaction score
Ummm... did I miss something here?

M

MacInWin

This hack at the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) exposed data about people who had any clearances from the government, plus anyone they referenced in the application for that security clearance plus their family members. The response from OPM was to engage a firm to provide identity theft monitoring for a few years. Letters are going out to those who had the information stolen. I had a security clearance, as does my daughter, so we both got hit both ways. And it includes all of our family members as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The letter was definitely legitimate as it was from the Office of Personnel Management. And no, I didn't sign up for the additional ($$) stuff they were selling. I followed their instructions by logging on to their site and registering. They supposedly will monitor your goings on and report any oddities.

I'm not aware of any cost associated with the additional "protection" offered. As I said, I have to read the letter again. If I get a bill, I will cancel the added coverage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ummm... did I miss something here?

Sorry, I responded to the second post. I generally do not have time to follow links. I just clicked yours and confirmed that I do not have time to read it. Plus, I don't use Chrome. But is this similar to what we know about how Google mines data?

OP
cradom
Reaction score
More like how third party extension makers mine data and sell it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
More like how third party extension makers mine data and sell it.
Then there's Windows 7, 8.x and 10 that has data collection built-in that cannot be disabled in the home and professional versions...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do you really believe that statement about Windows not being accessed?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.