PDA

View Full Version : Videos from Android to Mac.

garigoun
12-06-2015, 11:47 AM
I am running a 27" Mac on El Capitan. !Tb HDD 16Gb memory. iMovie 9.0.9. My mate has some videos he took on his Android tablet which he would like editing and stitching together with some music. Try as we may we cannot figure out how to get these videos from his tablet onto my Mac so I can edit them for him. There does not seem to be any output socket on his tablet which I could use to transfer them. Could anyone help please.
Gari

chscag
12-06-2015, 01:14 PM
One way would be for him to email the videos to you as an attachment. However, depending on his and your ISP the videos may be too large to send as an attachment, so you would need to check that first.

chas_m
12-06-2015, 04:13 PM
There's the cloud waystations like Dropbox (and a million other such services), there would be AirDrop if he had an iOS device but oh well. I use a service called Copy.com (https://copy.com?r=lQ6l1p) because it gives me a lot of space for free (20GB) and doesn't nag me to try and do everything with it like Dropbox does. There's also OneDrive from Microsoft and at least two dozen other such services, and that seems like the best solution for this particular project and other such cross-platform file transferring.

MightyGem
12-06-2015, 05:03 PM
There does not seem to be any output socket on his tablet
Does it not have some sort of micro USB socket?

garigoun
12-07-2015, 05:11 AM
Does it not have some sort of micro USB socket?
Yes it does MightyGem, but I think that is just for charging. At least when we tried to connect via that socket nothing came up on my desktop screen. BTW, thanks for the link to the Missing Manual site.
Gari

garigoun
12-07-2015, 05:13 AM
Chas_m, I have joined Copy.com but I am no wiser. I am, it is true a bit thick when it comes to technology. I don't see how I can access someone else's stuff from my computer.
Gari

lclev
12-07-2015, 09:55 AM
I used my Google drive to move the videos to it then open them on my Mac. You can set up google drive (15GB is free) on the android and then on google drive share the video to your email so you can download it. Or you can use one email account on both devices then it will act as an available storage drive that you can move stuff to and from. Dropbox (1GB free) will do the same. I am not familiar with Copy.com but it looks like it works the same way.

Lisa

MightyGem
12-07-2015, 01:39 PM
I have joined Copy.com but I am no wiser. I am, it is true a bit thick when it comes to technology. I don't see how I can access someone else's stuff from my computer.
That "someone else" will also have to set up a Copy.com account, upload his files to his account and then send you a link to access/download those files.

garigoun
12-07-2015, 02:43 PM
Ok thanks, will give it a go.
G

mad_macs
12-07-2015, 03:56 PM
I like the cloud idea the best but just to expand the possibilities by chance does the android have a bluetooth device?

Slydude
12-07-2015, 08:15 PM
Have you tried Android File Transfer (https://www.android.com/filetransfer/)? Install it on your Mac then connect the Android device. I used it to recover some photos and videos from a friend's Android phone a few months ago, It should be able to handle this although IIRC you have to move less than 4 GB at a time

chas_m
12-07-2015, 10:22 PM
The way copy.com and all such cloud resources work is that one person (the one with the assets they want to share, presumably) uploads the files into a folder on that cloud service, then obtains the "public URL" of that folder (the rest of your storage is unaccessible to anyone else). Send the public URL to the person who wants to receive the files, and literally all they have to do is click (they don't have to sign up or anything) and the files begin downloading.

Same for dropbox et al.

garigoun
12-08-2015, 06:38 AM
Thanks Slydude, I'll try and find out how big my mates videos are.

MightyGem
12-08-2015, 08:22 AM
Install it on your Mac then connect the Android device.
It's the connecting to a Mac which is the problem, Slydude.

Slydude
12-08-2015, 08:23 PM
It's the connecting to a Mac which is the problem, Slydude.

The Android File Transfer program runs on the Mac. Once it is installed the Mac should "see" the Android device pretty easily. IIRC the phone shows inside the software not on the Finder desktop. I haven't tried it with a tablet but it worked when I helped someone salvage files from their phone.

@garigouin Let us know which method you use and how well it works.