Upgrading to Windows 10 on 1,1 Mac

Reaction score
So I have a 1,1 Mac Pro, with upgraded 5355 CPUs. Mac is running Lion OS X. Windows is currently running 7, 64-bit.
I want to upgrade to Windows 10 (have upgraded video card and sufficient storage) but am concerned Bootcamp will not properly update drivers. I saw that Yosemite is required for Bootcamp to run Windows 10. Is this true?

Anyone have any experience directly upgrading from Windows 7 to 10 on a 1,1 Mac Pro running Lion?

Thanks,
Mike

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
According to this Apple article (below)…older Mac Pro's (of any sort) are not listed as compatible with Windows 10. Only the newer (round) Mac Pro is listed.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204990

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks. I saw this as well. While it doesn't sound good "officially" from Apple, we do know that 1,1 Macs can be upgraded to at least Yosemite via a couple of tricks. I am wondering that if I do so, will Windows 10 be supported in Bootcamp?

Has anyone out there at least attempted to get Windows 10 working on a 1,1 Mac? If so, did you have to first upgrade to Yosemite?

According to this Apple article (below)…older Mac Pro's (of any sort) are not listed as compatible with Windows 10. Only the newer (round) Mac Pro is listed.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204990

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...we do know that 1,1 Macs can be upgraded to at least Yosemite via a couple of tricks.

Yes we do!;)

I am wondering that if I do so, will Windows 10 be supported in Bootcamp?

Has anyone out there at least attempted to get Windows 10 working on a 1,1 Mac? If so, did you have to first upgrade to Yosemite?

As well as I can remember…I haven't seen a Mac-Forums thread on this specific topic (running Windows 10 on a Mac Pro 1,1).

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I have done some Googling and there are some reports where users say just upgrade to Windows 10 from 7 while booted in Windows, and ignore Bootcamp upgrade. A couple of people said it works fine, with exception of volume and eject keys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.