Planning to install Windows 10 via Bootcamp on 128GB MacBook Pro Retina 13" 2014

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums (as I recently bought a MacBook Pro). Nice to meet you all.
I've heard the various methods in installing Windows OS onto MacBook, and I've heard Bootcamp is the way to go, in terms of stability and performance. I'm wondering, is it possible to install Windows 10 via Bootcamp onto a 128 GB SSD? I'm updated and everything on El Capitan. I would also like to know what the minimum amount of space is required to install Windows 10. I don't need that much space on Windows 10, as I will be using it to play 1 or 2 games. (Games that I play on a daily basis)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Suggest your drive is too small to partition and run two full operating systems. Would not try to set up Windows on less than 50GB. Look at other options if only for playing games. CrossOver is one, no doubt there are freeware options. Personally use a cheap Dell Latitude E series for that

https://www.codeweavers.com/products/

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
How much of the 128 GB on the drive is currently in use? That will affect, to some extent, how well this might work.

Others who spend more time in Windows 10 may chime in with additional info but FWIW here are my observations:

1. From a performance standpoint Windows 10 should run better under BootCamp than it does in a virtual machine - especially for gaming.
2. I just did a Windows 10 BootCamp install and it takes up almost 19 GB for Windows VLC and MPEG Streamclip.How much space you will need will depend up what games you are using. Do these games write large files to the disk?
3. When creating the partitions remember that both Windows and OS X make extensive use of disk space for swap files. If either partition is too small performance will suffer.

My thinking is that a 120+ GB drive is probably a bit small for what you want to do.

OP
J
Reaction score
I have 70 GB free of space, and I think that's as much as I will use it, since I basically use my laptop for league, homework, and music... maybe a gig or two more of music in the near future. And the games I will be playing will take about 5 GB tops per game.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't think that's enough space for what you want to do if I am reading your post correctly. Here's the problem as I see it.

Available free space 70 GB - 20 GB (Minimal Windows 10 install), -10 GB (Games), - Lets say 5 GB for music in the near future. By my count that puts us at 35 GB of free space to be divided between Windows 10 and OS X for swap files. Any files/apps that you add will cut into available swap file space.

I don't think this is going to perform well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
In my opinion, 128GB is barely enough for one single OS. You need to have discipline to actually manage with so little. Two OSs on 128GB is insane :)
I have a 256GB MBA running El Capitan, and I guess I manage, but I know I couldn't have made do with 128GB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.