Why no 2.1 for 2nd gen ipod?

W

whizz

hi folks,

i don´t get it. why exactly is it not possible to update a 2nd generation ipod to the newest firmware (2.1)? i mean why the **** do i need the dock? it´s just a firmware!

greez
whizz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
because the new firmware offers support for the dock accessories like media reader and recorder which are incompatible with your iPod

OP
W

whizz

ah, i can understand that

but why don´t they make a firmware update with all the extras from the 2.1, but without the dock-stuff ... that shouldn´t be any problem ... i think thats a question only apple knows the answer for

OP
H

hollerz1

whizz said:
ah, i can understand that

but why don´t they make a firmware update with all the extras from the 2.1, but without the dock-stuff ... that shouldn´t be any problem ... i think thats a question only apple knows the answer for

because they want you to buy a new 3G iPod to get the new features

OP
S

silentraven

yeah, its cause they are phasing out the 2nd gen ipods. if you want the new features, you gotta buy the new iPod. you cant expect them to update it forever. its more work for them, and they probably dont want to spend the time on it for a product they dont even sell anymore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.