• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Knowledge

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2014 MacBook Pro 13" 128 Flash and 8 GB Ram, IPad Air 2 64 GB, IPhone 6 64 GB
I was just wodering where all the knowledge people on this forum have. Is it years of use? The Internet? Technical Training? I lurk around seveal post on the site just to see the inputs given by people and I'm really impressed. I'm new to Mac so I was just wondering how to expand my knowledge.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The knowledge is bestowed upon us after we chant a secret incantation with a chicken leg in one hand and a stiff drink in the other....obviously..;)

Like the usual way of gaining knowledge, there are users here who've been using Macs since the 80s and have a long history with it. There are others (like myself) that transitioned to it more recently (6 years for me) and have picked up things with experimentation and sheer will. I still remember the first time I used my Mac Mini and OS X 10.5 Leopard, boy was I confused as to what to do and how to go about it. The tide turned when I was as productive on my Mac as I was with my Linux machine. It was at that time that I fully switch over to the Mac..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I suggest you read a lot, here and other sights. Then play with hardware and apps - a lot. Experience come from reading and then playing around with computers - taking them apart, reassembling , changing configuration. You install apps, operating systems, mess them up and then fix them. Technical training is good. I have some under my belt so to say, but there is no substitute for actual hands on.

We are blessed with a wide variety of people who have a lot of experience. Some are strong in one area and someone else is strong in another, which makes this forum a great resource for mac users. Some very smart people on here have worked with computers as a hobby or as part of their profession for many years. They have a wealth of knowledge that they willingly share.

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm new to Mac so I was just wondering how to expand my knowledge.

There's no secret to expanding one's knowledge on any topic. A combination of experience, interest, curiosity, formal academic training, formal professional training, keeping up with the latest in industry developments, networking with others, etc.:)

Nobody becomes an expert overnight!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Actually Ashwin, for we Baptists, a glass of Evian water rather than the strong drink.

Anyone else ever noticed Evian is naive back to front? hmmmmmmmmm.........

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.