PDA

View Full Version : Moving my pictures

hookbill
11-17-2015, 09:58 AM
Guys, I'm looking for a little basic help. I've worked with Mac's since 1996, last period being about 5 years ago so I'm not a novice on Mac, and I'm a bit embarrassed to ask how I should have done this. Go easy on me. I'm 63 years old. Sometimes you just forget.

OK, when I migrated my pc to my mac for some reason it took all my pictures and put them in downloads. Not quite sure why it did that but I wanted them in the pictures folder. I thought simple enough, open 2 programs, drag them out of one folder into the other.

That plan failed miserably, every time I opened a folder with the Finder a new one would pop out in front of it. I couldn't see my way clear on how to get this done. What I ended up doing, and I'm going to sound real stupid here but it worked, dragged the files into the trash, pulling them out of the trash and putting them in the pictures folder. Except you don't really pull them out of the trash, you apparently get copies.

I'm running the El Capitan OS, MacBook Pro. Because of the nature of what I was doing I couldn't come up with a good search, it took a full explanation it. Maybe I should have simply searched moving files from one folder to another, which I guess is what I was really doing.

Someone like to get me squared away on this? I know when I se the answer it will come back to me. Thanks in advance.

chas_m
11-17-2015, 10:11 AM
Another option: open the downloads folder.

Select all the photos.

Drag them en masse to the Photos icon on your Dock. That has the effect of importing them into Photos. Once that's complete, you can delete the folder in Downloads.

hookbill
11-17-2015, 10:40 AM
But the Dock isn't visible seems like you could only open it for a second or two. Is there a way to make the window smaller so I can see the Dock? If that's the case, no problem. I can see the dock here, in this forum so from her it would be a piece of cake but window opens, takes whole screen. Don't see any way to split the screen.

MacInWin
11-17-2015, 12:04 PM
The Dock should be always visible at the location you put it, unless you chose to hide the Dock, in which case it only appears when you move the mouse to the edge, in which case it reappears. So check in System Preferences, Dock, and make sure "Automatically hide and show the Dock" is UNCHECKED. What do you mean "window opens, takes whole screen"? IF you mean that when you open Finder it takes the entire screen, open it, go to the top bar of Finder (move the mouse to the top, hover until the top bar appears), View and make sure that you exit Full Screen. Those two should make the Dock appear.