Magic Mouse inoperative in Windows 10

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new Macbook Air and, with the help of my son, installed Windows 10. Everything ran smoothly for a few months then, last week, my Magic Mouse stopped operating in Windows mode. It still works fine in OS X. Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not familiar with Windows 10 but if the mouse was previously working in Windows but now it isn't, the only thing I can suggest is to check the settings in your Boot Camp control panel.

OP
W
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Windows 10 but if the mouse was previously working in Windows but now it isn't, the only thing I can suggest is to check the settings in your Boot Camp control panel.

Turns out that Bluetooth had somehow got switched off. Thanks for the response.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
If Bluetooth was switched off how on earth did the Mouse work at all? Apparently it was working fine with OS X all of last week. But not with Windows. Just curious because it doesn't seem logical. Maybe it's just me.

Ian

OP
W
Reaction score
If Bluetooth was switched off how on earth did the Mouse work at all? Apparently it was working fine with OS X all of last week. But not with Windows. Just curious because it doesn't seem logical. Maybe it's just me.

Ian
That's the curious thing, Ian. Bluetooth was on in OS X but off in windows!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Ah...Right. I'm with you now.

So, in other words, the process of changing from OS X to Windows somehow inactivated Bluetooth...and it was reactivated when switching back to OS X?

This is way beyond my experience as I've never used Bootcamp or Virtual software. In my case, I run Office for Mac 2011.

I wonder if my senior colleagues have come across this before?

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Bluetooth on/off in OS X is separate from it being on or off when booting to Windows using Boot Camp. The Boot Camp drivers control Bluetooth when booted to Windows which is why I asked the OP to check his Boot Camp settings from the Windows control panel.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.