PDA

View Full Version : Lapsed Apple App Certificate creating issues

lclev
11-12-2015, 10:20 PM
http://www.computerworld.com/article/3004824/mac-os-x/lapsed-apple-certificate-triggers-massive-mac-app-fiasco.html

Has anyone had any issues with there apps not working due to a lapsed certificate? I haven't noticed any - yet. :Mischievous:

Lisa

Lifeisabeach
11-12-2015, 11:29 PM
Hmmmmm.... I did have a problem with iDentify today. I got an error saying it was corrupted, or something like that, and I needed to re-download it. I thought I had the non-App Store version (I've paid for both versions I think.... I forget why), but now I'm wondering.

lclev
11-13-2015, 02:15 PM
I just tried a couple paid apps from the app store and they all seems fine. Maybe Apple has fixed it now? Just found it interesting.

Lisa

Lifeisabeach
11-13-2015, 02:44 PM
I just tried a couple paid apps from the app store and they all seems fine. Maybe Apple has fixed it now? Just found it interesting.

Lisa

They did fix it per the article, although some people had lingering issues. And iDentify definitely was a casualty of this for me.

I'm going through the other apps I have from the MAS and some are working fine, but I am running into others that aren't. iConvert Icons; Unstoppable Gorg; Anomaly Warzone Earth; and more all crash with the error "'(app name)' is damaged and can’t be opened. Delete '(app name)' and download it again from the App Store."

Airmail 2 and some others work perfectly fine. This is deeply annoying. I'm going to have to sit down this weekend and re-download the ones that aren't working. Thankfully I developed an aversion to the MAS early on and limit what I get from there, so I may have only a half dozen or so to deal with.

harryb2448
11-13-2015, 04:37 PM
Had big troubles this morning with SmartReporter and had to log in to the App Store and away it went.

vansmith
11-13-2015, 05:39 PM
My question is why Apple was only issuing five year old certificates in the first place (thankfully the reissued ones are now 20 years).

Lifeisabeach
11-13-2015, 08:10 PM
My question is why Apple was only issuing five year old certificates in the first place (thankfully the reissued ones are now 20 years).

I was wondering that exact same thing. I wonder who will be in charge of renewing it 20 years. Would any of the current executive staff still be active, or even be alive to remember it?

lclev
11-13-2015, 10:48 PM
I was wondering that exact same thing. I wonder who will be in charge of renewing it 20 years. Would any of the current executive staff still be active, or even be alive to remember it?

By then there will be an Apple robot who will be the CEO with little robot minions who will take care of it.
("Hello Bob...." - for those who are fans of Bob Newhart. ;D )

Lisa

chscag
11-13-2015, 11:18 PM
Better be careful Lisa, Bob Newhart is the original "Librarian". (For those of you like that TV series.) :)

Lifeisabeach
11-14-2015, 01:00 AM
Well there was no need for me to reinstall anything. I rebooted my iMac; re-logged into the MAS; and the previously mentioned apps/games that weren't working are all A-OK now.

vansmith
11-14-2015, 12:13 PM
I wonder if this applies to all apps equally. I have OneNote installed from the MAS and I've got the following:
ssuer: C=US, O=Apple Inc., OU=Apple Certification Authority, CN=Apple Root CA
Validity
Not Before: Apr 25 21:40:36 2006 GMT
Not After : Feb 9 21:40:36 2035 GMTIt would seem as though Apple issued this cert ages ago and had it valid for about 29 years.