PDA

View Full Version : iPhoto mystery

poppi
11-11-2015, 02:03 PM
I have an iPhoto mystery which is driving me insane. First some background

I keep my iPhoto files on an external hard drive (4 TB G drive) because I had (until this week) over 10,000 photos stored. Normally clicking the icon in the doc opened the program and showed all the thumbnails.

This might be completely unrelated but I also keep time machine on that EHD and a short time ago I started to get periodic messages that time machine failed to perform the backup. I contacted G Tech and they decided my EHD might be corrupted so they advised 1) Backup the EHD, 2) reformat it, 3) restore the files. However, before I could do that I opened iPhoto and saw a message that my thumbnails needed to be updated (?) Before I could do that the thumbnails all disappeared and, when iPhoto opened, there were zero photos in the file.

I then went to the EHD, right clicked on the iPhoto library file > show package contents. This opened a list of files including “Original” and “Modified”. Clicking on either of those opened a long list of year dates and clicking on any of those opened a list of photo names. Finally, clicking on any specific photo opened it in Preview. This tells me that the photos are still in the EHD but are not accessible through the dock iPhoto icon.

I then dragged some of the listed photos to the iPhoto icon in the dock and they “stuck” there. However they do not have the keywords associated with the originals and they appear grouped as events and cannot be made to appear as a single group of photos.

Sorry if this is very confusing but any suggestions will be very appreciated.

Thank you

poppi

Lifeisabeach
11-12-2015, 11:36 PM
You need a better backup strategy. Storing your photos on the same drive that serves as a backup drive means you don't really have a backup of your photos. I'm not sure how to fix your problem here, but you need to stop wasting time and salvage what you can while you can. Sort out the finer details of what the photos actually are later.

poppi
11-13-2015, 01:28 AM
You need a better backup strategy. Storing your photos on the same drive that serves as a backup drive means you don't really have a backup of your photos. I'm not sure how to fix your problem here, but you need to stop wasting time and salvage what you can while you can. Sort out the finer details of what the photos actually are later.

I completely agree. In fact I have already ordered a second EHD which I will use with time machine to backup both the Mac and the original EHD.

As far as salvaging my photos here is what I know. If I click the iPhoto icon n the dock it opens with zero photos. If I open the EHD and click on iPhoto library the same thing happens. If I I then go to the EHD, right click on the iPhoto library file > show package contents this opened a list of files including “Original” and “Modified”. Clicking on modified opened a long list of year dates and clicking on any of those opened a list of photo names. Finally, clicking on any specific photo opened it in Preview. This tells me that the photos are still in the EHD but are not accessible through the dock iPhoto icon. However if I click on any of the photo titles and drag it to the dock icon I get the message "The following file could not be imported. (This file is in the iPhoto library). BUT if I drag any given title to the desktop and then to the dock icon it does load into the library. Does any of this make sense?

Another thought - could I copy the iPhoto library from the EHD to a flash drive, reformat the EHD, and reload the library to the EHD?

I will sincerely appreciate any suggestions

Thank you

poppi

Lifeisabeach
11-13-2015, 06:29 AM
Hold down the OPTION key while launching iPhoto. You will get a popup asking you which iPhoto Library to open. Re-select the existing one and see what it does.

BTW... you really need to provide some system details here. What version OS X; what version iPhoto; etc. Do you have the newer Photos app in use?

poppi
11-13-2015, 09:30 AM
Hold down the OPTION key while launching iPhoto. You will get a popup asking you which iPhoto Library to open. Re-select the existing one and see what it does.

BTW... you really need to provide some system details here. What version OS X; what version iPhoto; etc. Do you have the newer Photos app in use?

Thank you for the suggestion. Tried it and opened the same as before with zero pictures.

I am at OS 10.6.8 and iPhoto 7.1.5. Not familiar with the "newer Photos app" What is that?

Lifeisabeach
11-13-2015, 11:08 AM
Thank you for the suggestion. Tried it and opened the same as before with zero pictures.

I am at OS 10.6.8 and iPhoto 7.1.5. Not familiar with the "newer Photos app" What is that?

It's the replacement for iPhoto. It wouldn't be compatible with Snow Leopard anyway, so don't worry about it. Just copy that iPhoto Library to a new drive and when you are back up and running, create a new iPhoto Library )same method as before... with OPTION-click) and manually re-import the photos from the "originals" folder by drag/drop into iPhoto.

poppi
11-13-2015, 03:45 PM
It's the replacement for iPhoto. It wouldn't be compatible with Snow Leopard anyway, so don't worry about it. Just copy that iPhoto Library to a new drive and when you are back up and running, create a new iPhoto Library )same method as before... with OPTION-click) and manually re-import the photos from the "originals" folder by drag/drop into iPhoto.

I am embarrassed to ask what is probably a stupid question but, as reported earlier, I have a second 4 TB EHD on order. Could I use that to backup the files, then reormat the original EHD, then reload the files to it, then reformat the new EHD for Time Machine backup?

I do appreciate all your help. Thank you

poppi

Lifeisabeach
11-13-2015, 08:08 PM
I am embarrassed to ask what is probably a stupid question but, as reported earlier, I have a second 4 TB EHD on order. Could I use that to backup the files, then reormat the original EHD, then reload the files to it, then reformat the new EHD for Time Machine backup?

I do appreciate all your help. Thank you

poppi

If it's failing, reformatting it isn't going to change that.

poppi
11-19-2015, 03:18 PM
An update on my EHD dilemma. I received my second EHD and installed it. I set the two EHDs up as follows - first I copied everything from the original (G1) to the new (G2), then reformatted the first (thereby erasing everything). I then created a new iPhoto library in G1 and set up G2 as time machine to backup both the Mac and G1. Of course I lost all my iPhoto files in the process. Fortunately I have most of my photos backed up on CD or DVD so have been importing them into the new iPhoto library, a time consuming process but proceeding well. However, after importing the vast majority of files I suddenly get this message

"You can’t open your current photo library using this version of iPhoto. You have made changes to your photo library using a newer version of iPhoto. Please quit and use the latest version of iPhoto." I have checked and am using the latest version of iPhoto (v7.1.5) so am baffled as to why I am suddenly getting this message.

More info - now I cannot even open iPhoto. Simply trying to open the program produces the same error message and now I cannot access my photos at all

Suggestions please

Thank you

poppi