Boot Windows from USB on MBP Pro Early 2011

Reaction score
A lot of people wrote about this, and yet I can't find an answer.
Is it possible to remove the optical reader and install win7 with a usb stick?

Will then that MBP behave as if it never head an optical drive? Some people suggest the firmware would never let a Win7 USB boot.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The firmware built into the 2011 MacBook Pro assumes there is an optical drive installed and that can not be changed. If you remove the optical drive you will not be able to install Windows 7 via USB, however, there are some hacks floating around that say you can. You can do the searching. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In short if Windows is a MUST HAVE, pop the optical drive back in temporarily.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I did the searching and it all seems too complicated and with uncertain result. I am comfortable around technology but not at that level :)
Thing is my optical drive is broken (I think), so I will have to spend little money for something totally useless.
I figure I will probably just do it, and then since I am at it, buy an SSD and do a total upgrade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.