Can't upload avatar

D

djmitch

I've repeatedly tried to upload a new custom avatar from a folder on my computer, but I either get an error message or Safari quits. These things happen despite keeping my image within the dimension and file size restrictions. Is there a particular file type I need to use (.png, .gif, .bmp, ...) or is there something wrong with this function on this site? Perhaps one of my Safari settings is incorrect. Help!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have had some off and on problems of the upload not completeing but never made Safari quit. Usually I try it a 2nd time and it uploads. It will tell you if the image is too large I believe. I just changed my icon the other day and it worked fine. I usually use a .jpg by the way.

OP
D

djmitch

My old avatar was either a .bmp or a .png (can't remember exactly) and it loaded fine, so I'm not sure it's a file format problem. Wierd thing is, I had the same things happen after I tried to re-upload my old one, too, when trying to upload the new avatar wasn't successful! Something's not right here...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
somehow get the image to me and i can upload it for you.

OP
D

djmitch

Thanks for the offer, Graphite, but berhaps before attempting that, maybe someone can explain what the error message means that appears when I try to upload a custom avatar (when Safari doesn't actually crash on me):

"Safari can’t open the page “http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/profile.php”. The error was: “POSIX error: Invalid argument” (NSPOSIXErrorDomain:22) Please choose Report Bug to Apple from the Safari menu, note the error number, and describe what you did before you saw this message."

OP
D

djmitch

Well, I was able to upload one of the cheesy supplied avatars but still can't - after many attempts - load a custom one. Crap!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
OP
D

djmitch

Even with all firewall settings turned off, I got the same error message.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.