Unable to access windows 10

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina iMac Late 2014, 4GHz I7, 4GB graphics, 16GB Ram, iPhone 5S, 17" Dell Laptop
Hi all,
I upgraded to Windows 10 and did all the Apple updates and all the Windows 10 updates while I was running Yosemite. Everything worked great.
I upgraded to El Capitan and I can no longer access Windows through Startup Disk. Neither of the two ( BOOTCAMP Windows or Macintosh HD OS X, 10.11.1 ) will select when clicked on. I had a problem with "Mail" but the last update 10.11.1 fixed the issues I had. Can anyone help me get my Windows back? ( I know it's a heck of a question to ask on this forum. Chuckle )

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
See the following Microsoft KB article regarding how to repair or restore Windows 10. When you installed El Capitan, it may have destroyed or moved the Windows 10 boot sector.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina iMac Late 2014, 4GHz I7, 4GB graphics, 16GB Ram, iPhone 5S, 17" Dell Laptop
Thanks for responding chscag. I looked at the link you provided ( i'm not the most computer savvy ), but all the solutions seem to assume you have access to Windows. In Startup Disk as I mentioned above, I can't select any option to restart in. Is this something Apple will try and fix with an update?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you still have access to your El Capitan installation? And if you do, can you see the Windows 10 partition? I just looked up repairing the Windows 10 boot sector from the Microsoft KB, however, without previously creating the repair tool from within Windows 10, there is no way to fix it. Looks like you're probably going to have to reinstall. If you can "see" your Windows data from the Mac side you may be able to save some of it.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just went to finder-then Bootcamp- and I can see lots of folders including Windows, which has a lot of other folders inside. Is that what you mean by "see"? As far as the El Capitan installation, I did it as an upgrade from the Apple site.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, that's what I mean. You can try to copy as much data from your Windows 10 partition as possible. Of course, most Windows programs will have to be reinstalled in order to work but at least things like documents and settings data can be saved.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi chscag, This is an update to the fix to my issue. The 3rd Apple Care Tech i spoke with today, ( back and forth between Microsoft and Apple ) found that by simply unlocking the startup Disk window, the two choices
became accessible, and I was able to choose BOOTCAMP Windows, then re-lock the window, and go ahead to restart in Windows 10.
The 2nd Tech said we had to do exactly what you propose above, but luckily we avoided all that.
So, for the time being, until Apple finds a fix for this problem, I will unlock and lock each time I want to use Bootcamp.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, for the time being, until Apple finds a fix for this problem, I will unlock and lock each time I want to use Bootcamp.

I probably should have mentioned to you before that I read the exact same thing you were told but from another forum that I visit once in awhile. Apple should be putting out an update to Boot Camp for Windows 10 that will cure this. Windows 10 is EFI aware and as I understand it from some of the "experts", it may be better to install it without using Boot Camp. You can dig around for that subject if you have the time and inclination. Anyway, glad to hear you're back in business albeit with some inconvenience. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.