Possible Scam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have Desktop, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Ipad Mini and Iphone 6
Does anyone know anything about a program Called "Advanced Mac Cleaner" ? I came up today and said I have 159 problems with my Mac Air and it can fix it. I already have MacKeeper but not completely sure it's legit either. What is the feeling of the group. I talked to some guy I could barely understand and got the feeling I was being scammed and hung up.
Thanks for your Input,
Ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You are being scammed scammed scammed. If you paid any money notify you financial institution now and ask they cancel any payment.

Close down Safari, turn off your computer and router, and reboot and it should be gone. if not you may have to turn all off and disconnect from mains for a few minutes.

Next step download Malwarebytes for Mac, it is freeware, and run in Scan mode.

And uninstall Mackeeper it is malware big time. They all go hand in hand.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

http://www.mac-forums.com/os-x-operating-system/327902-mackeeper-deal-imac.html?highlight=mackeeper

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you harryb2448, all has been removed, computer and router rebooted and seems to be running OK.
I thought it sounded rather funny when the guy wanted money to save my Mac. So I just shut him down and hung up. How is every thing down under? Have ridden on a Goldwing motorcycle group tour, over here, with a Mate from Adelaide.
Ken

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, uninstalled MacKeeper. Re booted Mac and router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP mid-'15, 16GB RAM, Big Sur
I just uninstalled MacKeeper after reading this thread. It installed itself while I was installing the latest Adobe Flash Player [adobe_flashplayer_e2c7b_Setup.dmg]-- Is Adobe in on this scam?

Wasn't difficult to get rid of either, would it be the same MacKeeper?

Though, in looking through my Library files, I do not see any that say 'MacKeeper' per this article.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If you did not install Adobe Flash Player directly from Adobe then yes, you could have gotten a "gift" from the download site. For some reason it can be tricky to find the right clean install of Flash Player. Lots of sites offer it because it is popular and then sneak in other add ons you never wanted. Google adobe flash player and there will be a dozen sites to select from.

This is the official site: https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you are running Adobe Flash, the current version is 19.0.0.245. It will be in System Preferences, bottom row. When you check it out, make sure you have selected "Notify Me when update etc". Don't allow any third party program to auto update anything. And above all never use CNET or Softonic to get software from. They are noted for including little bundles of adware. Also Avast does the same if you install the Mac versionof the AV software.

Mackeeper may be residing in the Application or Utilities folders.

The 'Go' item is in the Menu Bar when no other program is running. If you do not see a Menu Bar at the top of the page, you are probably in Full Screen Mode. To Escape, move the cursor whn in Safari to where the View option is and bottom item is Quit Full Screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP mid-'15, 16GB RAM, Big Sur
Thanks for the quick responses.

I am running 19.0.0.245 per Sys Pref, however, Sys Pref references a PPAPI plug-in that is not installed -- Not sure what that is [seems to be a legit Adobe beta plug-in for Chrome].

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.