PDA

View Full Version : Which Movie you are going to see on this weekend?

EllissonWatson
10-23-2015, 09:00 AM
So guys which movie you are going to watch on this weekend. There are almost five new movies that is going to release on this weekend. First is biography movie that is based on the apple co founder steve jobs life. Firstly steve jobs receives the limited release in United States and from the limited release its make the various records. Now it’s all set to fully release in North America. Second the Vin diesel starter action adventure movie The Last Witch hunter, third is Bill Murray starter comedy movie Rock the Kasbah, fourth is new chapter of the famous horror movies franchise Paranormal Activity- Paranormal Activity The Ghost Dimension and last is Universal Studios music based movie Jem and Holograms. S guys from the following movie which movie you are going to watch. And after saw the movie you can share your reviews here.

toMACsh
10-23-2015, 01:51 PM
Don't go to many movies. Most recently, saw War Room. Thought it was excellent.

IWT
10-23-2015, 03:56 PM
Sorry Ellison, as far as films (movies) are concerned, I'm a complete waste of space. In the UK, "going to the pictures" as we say (although we are becoming more American every day, so movies), is really expensive relative to other enjoyments and the sound levels are ear-splitting. Mind you, the high sound level, although painful, does have the advantage of masking the noise coming from the popcorn munchers and the coke slurpers. And then the "top hit films" seem to depend on eye watering 3D graphics and gratuitous violence.

Does this sound like an oldie? Well, I am oldish and I don't mean all of that....but most of it!:Mischievous:

Ian

pigoo3
10-23-2015, 04:33 PM
Along with what Ian mentioned. We don't go to the movies/pictures very often. And when we do…it certainly isn't for a new release. New release weekends are just a zoo. Too many rude people, too many cell phones ringing, too many folks "playing" with their cellphone in a dark theater…etc. etc.

But basically…too much a "zoo" on a new release weekend. Give it a couple weeks. Then I'll go.:)

- Nick

harryb2448
10-23-2015, 05:25 PM
Nor do I the rubbish that is served up. Got to be 25 or more years and as for the prices Yow ~ buy the DVD cheaper!

bobtomay
10-23-2015, 06:58 PM
Just got the new Jurassic Park Blu-Ray a few days ago. So I'm sure I'll settle in to watch it sometime this weekend.

And I will have it pumping through the surround sound system at a heart pounding volume level. :)

Like my movies the way I like my music - like I'm sitting in the room between the musicians.

May even drag my chair a few feet closer to the TV.

pigoo3
10-23-2015, 07:08 PM
Just got the new Jurassic Park Blu-Ray a few days ago. So I'm sure I'll settle in to watch it sometime this weekend.

Hey Tom. I saw Jurassic World already. It was pretty good. Sometimes "sequel movies" (especially the 3rd or 4th sequel)…can be real "stinkers". But I was pleasantly surprised & it was better than I expected.

When you get a chance to watch it…enjoy!:)

- Nick

XJ-linux
10-23-2015, 08:04 PM
I usually wait until it comes out on DVD, unless the special effects and the story interest me. Last one was Everest, which mainly sucked on both levels. I'm thinking about seeing The Walk this weekend, but still recovering from spending $45 on Everest and feeling gun-shy right now. Most likely, I'll rake leaves and then continue with my Fringe marathon binge on Netflix.

chscag
10-23-2015, 08:25 PM
Hey guys, I've got some classic Abbot and Costello movies you can watch at my place if you can make the trip here. Bring your own popcorn! ;P

harryb2448
10-23-2015, 11:24 PM
And I got the complete set of The Three Stooges for the more intellectual amongst us. No beer allowed.

For Anglophiles I got the complete set of 'Allo 'Allo!

IWT
10-24-2015, 04:28 AM
'Allo 'Allo; I'm on my way Harry! Can't get better than that.

Ian

pigoo3
10-24-2015, 08:30 AM
Hey guys, I've got some classic Abbot and Costello movies you can watch at my place if you can make the trip here. Bring your own popcorn! ;P

And I got the complete set of The Three Stooges for the more intellectual amongst us. No beer allowed.

For Anglophiles I got the complete set of 'Allo 'Allo!

If I show up at your door…you better not turn me away!;)

- Nick

bobtomay
10-24-2015, 09:27 AM
I may just have to take both of you up on that also. I've been wanting to get the Abbot and Costello movies. I can add a collection of Ma & Pa Kettle to the mix.

If you're up for old time Saturday afternoon matinees, I have complete collections of Tarzan (Weismuller, Barker, Scott, et al), Hopalong Cassidy, Errol Flynn, and of course plenty of Wayne, Randolph Scott and a few others - or a little more modern Have Gun Will Travel or Fess Parker's Daniel Boone.

pigoo3
10-24-2015, 01:41 PM
I may just have to take both of you up on that also. I've been wanting to get the Abbot and Costello movies. I can add a collection of Ma & Pa Kettle to the mix.

If you're up for old time Saturday afternoon matinees, I have complete collections of Tarzan (Weismuller, Barker, Scott, et al), Hopalong Cassidy, Errol Flynn, and of course plenty of Wayne, Randolph Scott and a few others - or a little more modern Have Gun Will Travel or Fess Parker's Daniel Boone.

Do you have cable TV and get the "TCM" channel (Turner Classic Movies)? This is probably the single cable channel I watch the most. If you don't know about it…it's a "free" channel (that you don't pay extra for like HBO, Cinemax, Stars, etc.).

Movies are anything from silent films of the 1920's…to (primary content) of movies from the 1930's-1960's. With some movies from the 70's, 80's, 90's (but not many or too often).

The biggest bonus (other than the older movie content). Is it's commercial free during the length of the movie.:)

A great channel to DVR stuff too.:)

- Nick

IWT
10-24-2015, 02:08 PM
+1 for TCM. We get it in the UK as well. It's great, I agree.

Ian

pigoo3
10-24-2015, 02:44 PM
+1 for TCM. We get it in the UK as well. It's great, I agree.

Quite a few movies/pictures on TCM both from the UK and US studios/directors. I enjoy quite a few of the UK made pictures from the 1930's as well as WW2 pictures…with actors like Alec Guinness, James Mason, Leslie Howard, Laurence Olivier, Trevor Howard, David Niven.

- Nick

Slydude
10-24-2015, 03:21 PM
Another +1 for TCM here. Although we do have to pay for a river of service which includes several channels we never watch to get it.

Been a fan of Robert Osbourne since he was hosing movies on AMC (eons ago when they ran movies the way TCM does now).

pigoo3
10-24-2015, 03:39 PM
I'm not really a very big fan of the silent movies. Other than to see some well known actors in their younger/earlier days. Sometimes TCM will go on a "silent movie marathon" binge…and then I go thru withdrawal of sorts!;)

- Nick

Slydude
10-24-2015, 03:56 PM
Same here. Though there are a few silent movies I've watched and liked.

The fun thing for me about TCM is seeing people I remember in TV shows / ads as a kid in movie roles that pre-dated their TV personas (Lucile Ball, Irene Ryan, etc).

pigoo3
10-24-2015, 04:17 PM
Same here. Though there are a few silent movies I've watched and liked.

Yes I've watched some. But silent movies are like movies with subtitles…requires wayyy too much focus to enjoy them. Many times I have TCM on the tv…and I'm on the computer (Mac-Forums) replying to threads…or playing online games. Can't enjoy both with silent films or subtitled films.;)

Pretty much the ONLY subtitled films I routinely give 100% focus to are the Akira Kurosawa movies.:)

The fun thing for me about TCM is seeing people I remember in TV shows / ads as a kid in movie roles that pre-dated their TV personas (Lucile Ball, Irene Ryan, etc).

Exactly! A lot of fun seeing folks in their VERY early acting careers…and then were still in films or TV until the 60's, 70's, or 80's. Examples that come to mind are:

- Neil Hamilton (Commissioner Gordon on the Batman TV show).
- Ralph Bellamy & Don Ameche (played the "old rich guys" in Trading Places with Dan Aykroyd and Eddie Murphy)
- Ruth Gordon (played "Mom" in the Clint Eastwood Every Which Way But Loose movies).
- Angela Lansbury
- Early John Wayne of course.
- John Carradine (Kung Fu & Kill's Bill David Carradine's dad)
- Henry Fonda
- and others

* Nick

Slydude
10-24-2015, 04:53 PM
Excellent examples. I'd forgotten some of them.

I think one of the first Katharine Hepburn movies that I remember seeing years ago was Rooster Coburn which she did with John Wayne. A few years ago I saw several of her earlier movies courtesy of TCM. That Wayne/Hepburn pairing is still one of my favorites but I find that there are several of her earlier movies that I like better.

chas_m
10-24-2015, 05:16 PM
The rationale given for not going to the cinema doesn't wash with me. Using that logic, we'd never see anyone going to restaurants, since you can certainly get a meal cheaper at home!

Some movies, I will certainly freely admit, are empty-calorie visual FX fests intended for the knuckle-dragger crowd. But there have been *plenty* of movies that are not aimed at, nor have, the 120db bone-rattling fans. The Steve Jobs movie is an example, Bridge of Spies is another. There's usually one or two like that at any given time.

If you think you're too old for the multiplex, I can appreciate that ... but there are "art house" cinemas in most sizable towns, and some "revival" type cinemas or the local megaplex will show classics from time to time (quite often actually) along with live events of theatre or opera ... get a loyalty card for your favourite chain and save some serious money by supporting those types of events, or stick to the high-quality offerings of the art-house cinemas.

Movies are genuinely different with a large group, particularly comedies and tearjerkers. A premium projection and sound experience really makes high-quality films special, even if they're not aimed at blasting you out of your seat. A film like (just a quick example) The King's Speech would have been a boring experience at home, but was riveting in a cinema where you can really focus on what's going on (increasingly difficult to do at home). I encourage you guys to reconsider the occasional cinema experience with a well-chosen film aimed at your age group or interests.

MacInWin
10-24-2015, 05:30 PM
Went yesterday to see "Woodlawn." Great movie!

pigoo3
10-24-2015, 05:54 PM
I think one of the first Katharine Hepburn movies that I remember seeing years ago was Rooster Coburn which she did with John Wayne. A few years ago I saw several of her earlier movies courtesy of TCM. That Wayne/Hepburn pairing is still one of my favorites but I find that there are several of her earlier movies that I like better.

Because of my interest in older movies and actors…sometimes I research some actors to learn more about them. What I find interesting about some actors is…not only are they good actors…but also do their own action scenes & athletic scenes. When it comes to this select group…of the small number of actors that qualify...I would guess that fewer women then men fall into this category.

Since Katherine Hepburn was brought up…I'll share a tidbit about her. Not only was she a great actress…but also very independent & athletic. In the movie "Pat & Mike" with Spencer Tracy…she plays a very successful sportswoman (athletics). Primarily golf & tennis in the movie (she was actually a very good golfer in real life).

There's a scene in the movie where Katherine's in an argument with an older woman who thinks she knows everything about golf…and is forcibly trying to give Katherine pointers on how to improve her golf swing. Katherine gets upset…and proceeds one after the other…to whack a number of golf balls teed up on the ground at a driving range long & straight. Then walks away.

Maybe it took more than one "take" to get this scene right (maybe not). But pretty impressive to know that Katherine actually hit the balls & not some golf pro.:) Here's the scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsF6blrbUHU

- Nick

IWT
10-24-2015, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the clip, Nick. That took me back. Yes, I remember the film - although not necessarily when it was first released!;)

Ian

garypho
10-28-2015, 11:43 AM
I'm going to see the Steve Jobs movie. I've heard great things from friends and movie critics.

bobtomay
07-13-2016, 08:25 AM
So, I hadn't bought any new toys in what for me is a loooooong while. Haven't been doing much of anything except long hours of work, which has been either busier than I've ever seen it or I'm just getting too old to keep up the pace. Probably the latter. Anyway, spent a few months drooling over and kicking myself in the butt for even considering spending that kind of money looking at a line of TVs released this year that finally seemed to outshine my Panny plasma. Well, with a 15 day return policy, I convinced myself to pull the trigger on the new LG OLED 65" curved screen (it's not really that curved) as I'd been wanting 3D at home for years and not willing to give them another grand for a flat screen with an integrated sound bar that would never be turned up above zero. I looked at the new Sony 940D 75" also, but it just didn't seem to measure up. Now splurging on 3D movies. First up was Zootopia 3D - pretty good.

This weekend hoping to have time to watch the Cinerama version of How the West Was Won on the curved screen and pull my chair up to about 5' after adjusting the speakers for that sitting position. May even try the 2d to 3d conversion process with it.

Slydude
07-13-2016, 09:22 AM
Sounds like you're in for some viewing fun. Let us know what you think of the new set. I'm trying to convince the wife that we need a new one though a 65" is probably a bit too big for our space.

Edit: Nice to see you back BTW

ankhseeker
07-13-2016, 09:32 AM
We just saw finding Dory and The Secret Lives of Pets with the kids. While finding Dory was good, The Secret Lives of Pets was hecka funny.

sunshine1234
08-05-2016, 07:06 AM
I'll do a Will Smith marathon :) I love this guy. He is REALLY GOOD!!

KevinJS
08-06-2016, 05:39 AM
@bobtomay Congrats on the LG. I've been collecting 3D movies for a while now. Top Gun, Avatar, San Andreas and Gravity are all well worth having. The passive 3D system works well in my experience, with no crosstalk once you have your screen height sorted out. I have the 55UB8500, which I couldn't resist when I found it for less than half price.

Edvard
08-10-2016, 06:31 AM
last weekend watching The Secret Life of Patsy. very cute and funny. at the end of this week I go to Suicide Squad :Evil:

Edvard
08-12-2016, 09:19 AM
By the way, someone already went to the cinema on the "Suicide Squad"? how was it? worth watching? :Cool:

Shilingford
08-16-2016, 08:07 AM
Don't see too many movie myself. But going to watch Channai Express this week.

Edvard
08-16-2016, 09:07 AM
then tell us your impressions about this film! ;)