What do you use? Software to record from mic & Skype simultaneously

Reaction score
Hi, all,

I've been podcasting for nearly 10 years and for much of that time I've been using Ambrosia software's WireTap Pro. However, with the latest OS X upgrade, WireTap Pro no longer functions correctly, and Ambrosia no longer supports it.

So I'm looking for a new application that will record from my mic and Skype simultaneously, and I want to have the two feeds in separate audio tracks in the resulting file. (WTP could make separate tracks, but I had to turn down the volume on one track, save, export, then switch so that only the other track could be heard, save, export again. Then pull both tracks into Audacity to edit. Cumbersome.)

Preferably something that costs less than $50.

Thanks

C

chas_m

Skype Call Recorder will do this (you on one track, the other person on the other track).

I use Audio Hijack to do this as well, but before that I would use QuickTime to record a "clean" track of just me, and leave the Skype conversation as it was (all voices). The participants would send me similar "clean" recordings in case we talked over each other or some other problem with the "group" call that needed to be fixed in editing.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm finding a number of different products that call themselves "Skype recorder" or something similar. Do you mean the one from Ecamm? Tried it just now, but it was a) saving files as .mov and b) I couldn't identify a way to get the Mac audio and my mic input in separate channels.

C

chas_m

I was referring to the Ecamm product; shoot them an email and I'm sure they'll explain it (it's been too long since I used it last, don't remember).

OP
E
Reaction score
I was referring to the Ecamm product; shoot them an email and I'm sure they'll explain it (it's been too long since I used it last, don't remember).

Ah, watching Ecamm's video about Call Recorder answered my questions -- both about splitting to separate tracks, and converting to MP3. :)

Reaction score
You might want to take a look at an audio editor named Amadeus Pro. I've been using it to record and edit podcasts for well over ten years and it has always worked great. Lots of whistles and bells and will handle lots of formats. The last few years i have used a little Blue Snowball mic to do the actual recording and it also does a nice job without a lot of high dollar electronics.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Hey James is the Blue Snowball what you replaced your previous mic with? That thing refuses to die. :[

C

chas_m

James, I also used the Blue Snowball for a long time (recently upgraded to a Yeti), and I love Amadeus Pro! We should compare notes on podcasts sometime! Merry Christmas.

C

chas_m

Erich, if you're still following this, I should have previously mentioned Audio Hijack. Great app for $32, iirc

Reaction score
Hey James is the Blue Snowball what you replaced your previous mic with? That thing refuses to die. :[

Ya as a matter of fact it is Sly...kinda miss that one i sold you, looked a lot cooler on the desk, but the Snow Ball gets the job done. How the world you been? been a couple days since we last talked for sure.

Reaction score
James, I also used the Blue Snowball for a long time (recently upgraded to a Yeti), and I love Amadeus Pro! We should compare notes on podcasts sometime! Merry Christmas.

Hey Chas_m, i'm a great fan of Amadeus, been using it for years. Started out with it on a G5 out in California when i was doing Blues In The Night podcast through iTunes, then kept upgrading both it and the Mac over the years.

Just put the latest 2.2.2 version on today since i am now running El Capitan. Got tired of fighting the battle from the shadow zone of Lion and upgraded my desktop to a newer one now. Don't know why it doesn't show in the sig line, i changed it twice but i am on a MacPro 2.66 Quadcore 16gig ram and 2T internal drives now. But old age caught up with me too and about all i am doing now is a small 1 hour once a week limited podcast for friends, not the world wide thing i started with. The Snowball does a great job for this type of podcast, lots of sound and little cost...

Hope you had a good Christmas and have a great New Year...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good to hear from you again James. Hope the inclement weather in OK hasn't caused you any problems. I had to put off Sunday's chat broadcast because we were under multiple watches and warnings here.

All the gear I bought is still alive and well with the exception of the mixer. Something got dropped on it and broke one of the knobs. I took the opportunity to change it for one with a USB connection. With the iMac not having the line in connection that I had on the MacBook Pro I was having to attach the mixer to an iMac gizmo. This new mixer avoids that.

Best wishes in the new year old friend. Give me a yell sometime.

Reaction score
Yo Sly, glad you made it through the storms, looks like they did a lot of damage in quite a few places. My little part of OK got plenty of rain, but nothing real big. Over the three days we got about 5-6 inches with a couple of days of lighting and thunder. Been a bit of flooding but nothing real drastic.

Glad to hear the mic is working good for you, it is a well built rascal that should about last forever. The mixer was another story, all it was really for was to have a place to connect the mic to the computer, glad you found a good replacement.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to hear things are well and that you dodged the worst of the storms.

Since the new iMac did not have the same audio/line in connection as the MacBook Pro had I would have needed to connect the mixer to something like the iMac to get things working. Since I had the one broken knob I took it as a sign it was time to upgrade. The new one is essentially the same but connects to the vomiter via USB. I could have used some type of audio interface but this is a bit more flexible and in the end costs less.

Reaction score
I am surprised that you don't know what a "vomiter" is Chas... I'm sure it must have slipped your mind, that is the gadget that connects the doohickey to the whatyamacallet usually using a USB3 connection and powered by a super whizbang. This technical talk can sure get cornfusing can't it...;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"vomiter?"
Good grief autocorrect is at it again. I was so confused I had to use the find command to figure out who entered "vomiter" into the conversation. Obviously that's supposed to be computer.
I am surprised that you don't know what a "vomiter" is Chas... I'm sure it must have slipped your mind, that is the gadget that connects the doohickey to the whatyamacallet usually using a USB3 connection and powered by a super whizbang. This technical talk can sure get confusing can't it...;)
ROTFLMAO.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good grief autocorrect is at it again. I was so confused I had to use the find command to figure out who entered "vomiter" into the conversation.

There's probably going to be quite a few "vomiters" come tomorrow morning who wish they did a lot less partying for New Year's Eve! ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.