PDA

View Full Version : Cookies Required by British Law?

Slydude
10-19-2015, 01:13 AM
This is the best place I could think of for this question. If it seems to be better located elsewhere, let me know and I'll move it.

My wife went to a game website earlier tonight that I believe is based in Great Britain. Cookies were off in her browser. As the site was loading, a popup/banner appeared suggesting that cookies must be activated because the company was required to track people via cookies by British law. Is this legit or a load of Bullfeathers? I'm betting bull feathers.

Note: I don't think this is the kind of message that appears where a site says it may not function properly without cookies. She's used to that message.

harryb2448
10-19-2015, 01:45 AM
Not quite Sly. They are required to advise you and get your consent if they are tracking you but posing it as a Government requirement influences folk to allow this. The same applies Down Under. Have a read of this that explains it:-

http://www.cookielaw.org/the-cookie-law/

And the law as written:-

https://ico.org.uk/media/for-organisations/documents/1545/cookies_guidance.pdf

Slydude
10-19-2015, 01:58 AM
Thanks Harry. I should have figured it was something like that. That's a bit shady if you ask me.

Edit: I'm impressed Harry. You came through in record time. I usually have to wait quite a while for answers. In fact, I think I have a few unanswered questions in the stack.

harryb2448
10-19-2015, 05:45 PM
Anything for you my man!

It is more than shady. It is making out a Government requirement they ask your permission to track, into a 'you have to do this the Government said'!

vansmith
10-19-2015, 06:23 PM
Wait, this gives me an idea...

"It is hereby declared that, pursuant to s.7.c. of <insert some law that sounds like something from your country>, you are obligated to send $//€10 to vansmith."

Slydude
10-19-2015, 06:41 PM
Wait, this gives me an idea...

"It is hereby declared that, pursuant to s.7.c. of <insert some law that sounds like something from your country>, you are obligated to send $//€10 to vansmith."
Didn't you get the check I sent about two weeks ago?

harryb2448
10-19-2015, 07:09 PM
It is in the mail Bryan!

vansmith
10-19-2015, 08:00 PM
I don't believe either of you...

Slydude
10-19-2015, 08:29 PM
Hey Bryan, I know you are busy and don't have time for such trivial things as collecting "donations" from members. All that check cashing is, I presume, time consuming. In order to protect your valuable time I shall collect all "fees / donations" and forward the appropriate funds to you. Minus a "small" handling fee of course.

lclev
10-20-2015, 09:05 AM
Sly - Your self-serving ... I mean ... selflessness is just awe inspiring! :Cool: ;)

Lisa

harryb2448
10-20-2015, 05:53 PM
Well Sly there is your return of serve from Lisa. I am awaiting mine with trembling everythings!

Slydude
10-20-2015, 09:07 PM
Sly - Your self-serving ... I mean ... selflessness is just awe inspiring! :Cool: ;)

Lisa
I thought folks would appreciate that. There are costs to converting real money to whatever it is that Van is using. I'm just trying to make a "reasonable" profit.:D

harryb2448
10-20-2015, 11:16 PM
Hmmmm...any chance your full handle is Sylvester Paypal Roque?

Slydude
10-20-2015, 11:24 PM
No, but I kinda like the sound of that.

If I could get everyone to agree with that small fee I'd have a new Mac in no time.