PDA

View Full Version : Permissions

WMarkJ
10-14-2015, 11:29 PM
I have been going to Go/ Computer/ Users to move mp4 videos to my wife's login. There is one particular mp4 she would like that I move over to hers and the error on attempt to open is "you do not have permission, contact the admin.' We are both admins. When I right click on the file, I do have it on read and write for her. This is only happening with one mp4 file. Any thoughts appreciated. Mark

Lifeisabeach
10-16-2015, 08:50 AM
I have been going to Go/ Computer/ Users to move mp4 videos to my wife's login. There is one particular mp4 she would like that I move over to hers and the error on attempt to open is "you do not have permission, contact the admin.' We are both admins. When I right click on the file, I do have it on read and write for her. This is only happening with one mp4 file. Any thoughts appreciated. Mark

You both may be admins, but when it comes to another admin's home folder, you only have read permissions for "some" folders by default. You can modify the permissions, but it's really best to simply use her drop box folder (no, not the cloud storage service named Dropbox). Go to "her home folder" Public Drop Box. You won't be able to actually open up the Drop Box folder, but you can drag/drop the video into it. She can then log into her user id and move it to where she likes.

Alternatively, make a shared folder at the root level of the hard drive and put shared items there. Or use the existing "Shared" folder under the "Users" folder.