Speakers for musician

Reaction score
I have a iMac late 2013 and have started using garageband ect to record and also play rocksmith what are some good speakers or should I get speakers or monitors which type ect thanks darren

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have a iMac late 2013 and have started using garageband ect to record and also play rocksmith what are some good speakers or should I get speakers or monitors which type ect thanks darren

I've always been very happy with the Harman Kardon Soundsticks, but I'm no musician. One review I just read discussed a concern with sound quality that had struck me as a possible issue... "Given those 4 little 1-inch tweeters in each stick are being asked to produce sound they just are just not very good at physically reproducing...". I always thought that having an array of drivers all the same size would be far from ideal.

So... if you want more accurate sound, it may be best to look for a speaker set that has a more typical variety of driver sizes. Typical desktop computer speakers "probably" aren't going to cut it because they are designed for limited space. Finding reviews that are useful may be difficult... most computer-oriented websites likely are lacking in staff that are mentally geared to considering what a musician may value. I'll post links to a couple articles that may be of help. I'm loathe to link to PCMag in particular, but it's something. Wirecutter puts a lot of thought into their reviews, though I really frown on how they label their choices as "This one is the best."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410691,00.asp
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-computer-speakers/
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-computer-speakers/

If you find a set that looks promising, cross-check with a site like AudioReview.com to see if they have tested it.

One last note.... I used to have Klipsch's ProMedia set several years ago and it was fantastic, but the subwoofer failed after a year or so. Turns out this was a widespread problem, but I don't know if they have addressed it by now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To add to the great reply from member "Lifeisabeach"..... stay away from anything made by Bose. This might be only my opinion, but their quality control has diminished over the years. They're now overpriced and over rated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
To add to the great reply from member "Lifeisabeach"..... stay away from anything made by Bose. This might be only my opinion...

It most certainly is not only yours. :Cool:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
To add to the great reply from member "Lifeisabeach"..... stay away from anything made by Bose. This might be only my opinion, but their quality control has diminished over the years. They're now overpriced and over rated.
Count me in that group as well. I'd also include Sony speakers in that group.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.53GHz, C2D, 4G RAM, 250G HDD
I have a pair of JBL Series 3 LSR305. They are quite remarkable. You'll need to purchase a specific cable, but I think you would like them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Dazzcoll . . . there was no mention of a budget. As an audio engineer and somewhat musician, I put true fidelity at the top of the qualifications check list...accurate with no added "color" (transparent). I need to hear exactly what has been tracked. I have a pair of Adam A5X's...I absolutely love them and so do the artists as well. They are not cheap.

and as for Bose . . .
no high's, no lows....they're Bose

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
I had the M-Audio AV40's before I heard the Adam A5X's. The AV40's were very good for the money, but once I heard the Adams I knew I had to use them for my studio near field monitors (uh, speakers). My 86 year old Mother inherited the M-Audio AV40's. She loves what the AV40's do for her movie watching experience.

Dazzcoll...I feel you will really like the AV40's.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.