PDA

View Full Version : Help with 4k UHD video workflow

Ianc2014
09-30-2015, 02:02 PM
Okay I have a Panasonic camera that records in 4K UHD, I am looking for a workflow that is straight forward and I don't compromise on quality to much. I am just using a macbook book air so I don't have the fastest processor in the world but I can get by. I am quite happy to use iMovie, I have used FCPX on this computer but its a bit over the top for my needs and its slow which I understand I have noticed that when I import the original 4K UHD video in FCPX in the past & iMovie the picture looks like its lacking top quality and its lost that look that i originally shot in however when I play it using Quicktime its great. I have read lots of different stories about and different programs that you need & what the process is but I am not 100% entirely convinced. I am just looking to put my stuff on Youtube and thats its, its not very anything professional however if I have the 4KUHD I may as well use it instead of 1080p. If there is somebody who could help me do this right the first time around. Its seems that the technology is a bit ahead of the tools at my level anyway. I think I know about the exporting although I can't be working with 8Gig files at a time

chas_m
10-01-2015, 03:03 AM
Unless you're exceptionally patient, 4K on a MacBook Air is ... well it's just not going to work very well. I'm surprised to hear that you can make it work at all -- the limited RAM and boot space on the MBA would make that proposition fairly untenable. At minimum I'd have suggested a top-of-the-line MacBook Pro with large-capacity SSDs (internal and external) for smooth operation, or ideally (and one of only two Macs actually designed for 4K work) an iMac 5K Retina.

Ianc2014
10-02-2015, 03:45 PM
Thanks Chas, Those MBP are not cheap but I am sure I will reap the benefits, that said I could always buy second hand I suppose.

lclev
10-02-2015, 04:30 PM
With what you want Chas_m is correct - you need a beefier computer. You are looking at large files and a lot of encoding time. 5k iMac or a mac pro with as much memory and ssd drives would get my vote.

Lisa